All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
From what some were predicting yesterday, it'll be something like a 1st, 2nd, 4th, and a B level prospect
FWIW: I don’t know why the Canes wouldn’t offer the same….that’s a reasonable price for a young superstar.

RE Sharks: quite frankly if the team in the Devils, then a 1st and 2nd will be late round draft picks with both the Devils and us. Family discount t would be at play then.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
I wonder if they felt POd that Burns went for so little too.
shouldn't matter. frankly the Canes should feel comfortable with any overpayment right now based on the Burns and Patches trade compensation. Cost nothing and, notwithstanding Patches injury, the Canes would still net out well when evaluating these trades together with a big deadline deal. Moreover, team has plenty of cap room, LITR relief via Kase, draft picks, and prospects et al to complete ANY trade.

They just don't know how to get an auction type deal done.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
shouldn't matter. frankly the Canes should feel comfortable with any overpayment right now based on the Burns and Patches trade compensation. Cost nothing and, notwithstanding Patches injury, the Canes would still net out well when evaluating these trades together with a big deadline deal. Moreover, team has plenty of cap room, LITR relief via Kase, draft picks, and prospects et al to complete ANY trade.

They just don't know how to get an auction type deal done.
Well….the NHL is still mostly led by old guard folks.

The Canes approach in fleecing teams over the past few years plus being labeled the smartest folks in the room cause issues with the old guard (not that Shark’s GM is an old guard but he does clearly have Jersey connections).

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I told y'all a week or two ago:

Eric and Marc will be our pickups. If we can't hit big on the deadline, go for ol'reliable and try and appease the fan base emotionally.

Probably would have gotten Nino if we had been informed of the Meier news earlier.

Still overlooking Jared, eh? Four Staals is 33% better than 3 Staals. That's just math!

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Regular season #'s

2006 CAR 286GF 3RD, 260GA 18TH
2007 ANA 254GF 6TH, 208GA 7TH
2008 DET 257GF 3RD, 184GA 1ST*
2009 PIT 264GF 4TH, 239GA 18TH
2010 CHI 271GF 3RD, 209GA 5TH
2011 BOS 246GF 8TH, 195GA 3RD*
2012 LA 194GF 29TH, 179GA 2ND**
2013 CHI 155GF 2ND, 102GA 1ST*
2014 LA 206GF 25TH, 174GA 1ST**
2015 CHI 229GF 16TH, 189GA 1ST**
2016 PIT 245GF 3RD, 203GA 6TH
2017 PIT 282GF 1ST, 234GA 17TH
2018 WAS 259GF 9TH, 239GA 15TH
2019 STL 247GF 15TH, 223GA 6TH*
2020 TB 245GF 1ST, 195GA 9TH
2021 TB 181GF 8TH, 147GA 6TH*
2022 COL 312GF 3RD, 234GA 7TH

Rod era Hurricanes
18-19 GF 16TH, GA 6TH
19-20 GF 14TH, GA 6TH
20-21 GF 10TH, GA 4TH
21-22 GF 9TH, GA 1ST
This season so far GF 11TH, GA 2ND

Is Sutter ruining CAL? Maybe there's a reason Tkachuk wanted out and one of the best offensive wingers in the league is struggling. Defense wins championships, when its backed up by a top ten offense.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Well….the NHL is still mostly led by old guard folks.

The Canes approach in fleecing teams over the past few years plus being labeled the smartest folks in the room cause issues with the old guard (not that Shark’s GM is an old guard but he does clearly have Jersey connections).
you are probably over the target on this one. that's why I have no issue with an overpayment to get the right player. who cares if the counterparty extracted more from you if you end up with the player the team covets.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
It doesn’t look like we are going to get that 50’ scorer.

So, (last night was surely a one-off but), I believe we need to improve our 3rd and 4th lines with more speed and/or grit (Fast, Stasny and Stephan would be my targeted replacements). And, Another D too.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
All the contenders appear to be building unstoppable forces. Carolina may as well zig if they can't zag. Go for the immovable object and pick up Chychrun or Gavrikov.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
If Grier is really giving NJ the right of last refusal (perhaps due to personal relationships) Canes are correct in making a final offer with a firm deadline for acceptance. That game is rigged and the only way the Canes could possibly win it is by going from overpayment to stupid overpayment. If that's the case, good on the Borg.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I still think it’s going to be Boeser, a C we haven’t heard about, and a LD. I am ok with the top 6 wings being Svech, Jarvis, TT, Necas with an upgrade at 2C, although I think Boeser would slot in up top and move Jarvis down.

Gost still makes some sense to me; I believe I read he’s played tough minutes in Arizona and I think he would look much better in a sheltered role which Carolina’s third pairing would be by definition.

Alternate idea: acquire Gost, run 11-7 to be able to use de Haan on PK and Gost on PP?

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
All the contenders appear to be building unstoppable forces. Carolina may as well zig if they can't zag. Go for the immovable object and pick up Chychrun or Gavrikov.
sure. I would aggressively go after Forsberg. Get a deal done quickly before Nashville trades away too much of the roster. As Svechammer suggested, offer up the assets to Nashville that were offered to SJ.

Reactions: Bunch of Jurcos

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
With the risk of sounding sour like fox about the rowan berries, I wasn't *that* keen on Meier anyway. That RFA contract structure was ruthless and built to bring him into the pending UFA market a year early. I've been for years thinking who is the poor sucker who gets to sort out that QO and felt emotions

I'd never heard of rowan berries. Over here the fable has a fox and sour grapes. Are rowan berries similar to anything else I might recognize?

HF26: here to educate the masses!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lempo

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
If we can't get a guy that's a difference maker for our top 6, it wouldn't be a bad idea just to save the better assets, and get the 3rd pairing defenseman, a bottom 6 forward that MIGHT be good enough to slot up to the top 6, and weaponize our cap to preferably get a 1st round pick, but more than likely, it'd be a 2nd at best. Getting an extra 1st round pick in this year's deep draft would be very nice though, and we could always trade one of the players from our 1st round pick(s) from this year's draft by next year's deadline.

There's slim pickings for the top 6 without Meier, Horvat, ROR, Tarasenko, and Kane.

I'm just not sure if we can actually get a good player for our top 6 at this point with who is still left, and why bother with a filler tier player (this year's Domi). Henrique being injured last I heard doesn't help our options either. Maybe there's a bigger acquisition this summer or next deadline? I just want us to make a big push for our top 6 no later than next year's deadline with all of the contract's expiring in the summer of 2024.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
sure. I would aggressively go after Forsberg. Get a deal done quickly before Nashville trades away too much of the roster. As Svechammer suggested, offer up the assets to Nashville that were offered to SJ.
It's a nice thought but he just signed his deal and has a NMC. I don't think Nashville would want to move him and I'm don't think he would even want to move.

From Nashville I think they would be after Jeannot

Reactions: Sigurd

Rad ChaLose

Aug 3, 2012
I’ve read on the interwebs that Forsberg is considered untouchable by the Preds but I would sure love him.

He lights us up every time we play them too

Reactions: LakeLivin

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If we can't get a guy that's a difference maker for our top 6, it wouldn't be a bad idea just to save the better assets, and get the 3rd pairing defenseman, a bottom 6 forward that MIGHT be good enough to slot up to the top 6, and weaponize our cap to preferably get a 1st round pick, but more than likely, it'd be a 2nd at best. Getting an extra 1st round pick in this year's deep draft would be very nice though, and we could always trade one of the players from our 1st round pick(s) from this year's draft by next year's deadline.

There's slim pickings for the top 6 without Meier, Horvat, ROR, Tarasenko, and Kane.

I'm just not sure if we can actually get a good player for our top 6 at this point with who is still left, and why bother with a filler tier player (this year's Domi). Henrique being injured last I heard doesn't help our options either. Maybe there's a bigger acquisition this summer or next deadline? I just want us to make a big push for our top 6 no later than next year's deadline with all of the contract's expiring in the summer of 2024.

The depth on the roster is pretty thin. They're one injury away from 1st line Martinook. They'll do something.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

I just read that Nashville considered 3 players untouchable: Josi, Saros, and Forsberg.

If that weren't true I wouldn't mind part of our zag being the acquisition of Saros, both for this playoff and the next several years. Always with the provision we don't slide into "stupid overpayment".

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Chychrun + Bjugstad for 1st + Scott Morrow + Jack Drury

Opens up a potential Pesce or Skjei trade this offseason. I think something like Pesce for DeBrincat could benefit both teams. Bjugstad is a 6'6" rental forward who is playing well this year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It would already be done if we were. You do that a week before the TDL. Not 2 days
Tro and Skjei were both traded for on deadline day. I'm sure that we've been in talks with other teams.

Of the options that are still out there that I can see as possible: Duchene, Schmaltz, Keller, Boesser

of those Duchene is probably the best option... if we can keep him happy. Then go out and add a depth LHD and a guy that can add some jam factor to the 4th line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrispy

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I hear you but Dundon has done a lot to change the culture and identity of this team and market. Stadium game being the latest example. RBA seems to be universally loved by players who play for him. That should be a major factor in any player's evaluation of this team.

It's too bad on Meier but time to move on.
you're not wrong. But at most 2 years (I can't count Dundon's first year or the two weird Covid years) of positive vibes prettymuch universally isn't enough to make up for nearly a quarter century of "yeah these guys are broke, it's not a team you want to play for". And all things considered even there some of our re-signing moves don't help the image much even if they were entirely the correct move (aside from hardball with Lindholm). Even the Aho offer sheet was bad optics even if, yes, we were planning on giving him right around exactly what he got with an 8 year hit, but he wanted the 5 year term after seeing how things played out for Matthews and Marner
Lord Stanley?
Svechhammer and I have talked before on inside info, he's good.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
I'd never heard of rowan berries. Over here the fable has a fox and sour grapes. Are rowan berries similar to anything else I might recognize?

HF26: here to educate the masses!
Apprently our version is localized from the Aesop original with grapes. :laugh:

Rowan tree is important in various fashions in cultural traditions around the Northern Europe so that can't isn't a wonder its berries have substituted grapes where grapes don't really grow.

The gloriously abundant berries are bitter due to malic and, obviously, sorbic acid, giving them a peculiar taste. I can't say what else would be like them.

When the weather drops below 0 celsius, the acid starts to ferment and especially the bohemian waxwings are known to get drunk on the berries.

tilhi3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad