All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
When you look at the numbers Schmaltz has a terrible FO % 40.7 and hasn’t done that much more than KK

Category WinsGPGAPTSSH%PTS/GPaceEVGEVPPPGPPPSHGSHPSOG+/-PIMFOWFO%HitsBkSGvTK
JESPERI KOTKANIEMI95811142513.30.433581826118364025451.779123317
NICK SCHMALTZ144317223919.10.91601431590189-1103340.27203937

Reactions: zman77

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
When you look at the numbers Schmaltz has a terrible FO % 40.7 and hasn’t done that much more than KK

Category WinsGPGAPTSSH%PTS/GPaceEVGEVPPPGPPPSHGSHPSOG+/-PIMFOWFO%HitsBkSGvTK
JESPERI KOTKANIEMI95811142513.30.433581826118364025451.779123317
NICK SCHMALTZ144317223919.10.91601431590189-1103340.27203937
Schmaltz would be a winger that may move to center if we are down late

Reactions: DaveG

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
If the move is a Chychrun and Crouse package deal, I may actually prefer that trade over Meier. I think that in aggregate, the combination of those two would be better than what just one Meier could provide.
Chychrun and Crouse package is going to cost even more than Meier, especially considering Arizona is apparently fine with scratching Chychrun until his contract runs out if they don't get a package they like. Add Crouse onto that... yeah, good luck, borg.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Mostly the fact that we're always the runner up or an afterthought in trades for highly coveted players like Meier and Tkachuk? I mean they certainly could have had a similar or better offer but it's kind of weird we never get the player in question and are only mentioned as afterthoughts once the trades go through.

I don't want to beat this into the ground, but to get Tkachuk Florida gave up a top pair R defenseman, a forward coming off a 30 goal, 115 point season, and a conditional 2025 1st round pick. Do you really want to use that as an example of the Canes not making competitive offers? I mean, what would the Canes have had to offer to better that, and would you have paid it?

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Chychrun and Crouse package is going to cost even more than Meier, especially considering Arizona is apparently fine with scratching Chychrun until his contract runs out if they don't get a package they like. Add Crouse onto that... yeah, good luck, borg.
They ain’t getting both but they can definitely do chychrun and still get another forward somewhere else

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
It would be worth it seeing their ages, production levels and cap hits

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I mean sure, lets go grab an expensive ass D man when we need like 2 forwards. Why not?
I agree but would state however that he would significantly improve our PP which is a big need in the playoffs (maybe get a better PP coach too).

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
The bigger hurdle I think is whether or not Arizona would want to deal Crouse. He could be their future Captain.

I would estimate the cost for those two at Morrow + Drury + 1st + their pick of 1-2 more prospects not names Nikishin

I like Crouse but they still wouldn't have their scorer. Would have to find one Pacioretty style.

Reactions: DaveG

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
It’s actually pretty amazing (and alarming) … I was thinking this exact same thing today. Who’s the 13th Forward right now? Stepan is flipping with… who? I’m drawing a blank. I know Coughlan is the 7th D (shudder). Depth simply for injuries is an absolute must right now. At bare minimum.
Drury, Rees, Pono????

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I mean, I'll be ok if that happens, but obviously, I want the team to win it all as many times as possible. But I have my own view of how things are. People look at small sample sizes of past champions and try to create an exact template on how to win or create the reasons why they think we lost in a given year and figure out what was missing. That's just not how I see things.

I don't freak out at most moves we make at this point or failure to make certain moves because I think there are many ways to win rounds and win championships. And these moves wouldn't guarantee anything. The majority of the moves that people are so upset we haven't made won't lead to any more than us even if we flame out again. I also think that just because across a small sample of champions a certain method of winning hasn't been done yet, doesn't mean it can't be done that way. So, I'm willing to give this one a chance given the caliber of team it's been able to put together even missing out on moves. I think this team even as it currently stands could win it all, but it could certainly have a slightly higher chance with the right moves.

I am interested in the way the team is run and they've given me a largely entertaining product. I don't always agree with it or think it's perfect, but I think it's run in an interesting way and has produced largely good results. At a certain point, after you get into the playoffs, sure some teams have a slightly better chance than others, but I don't think it's really that far of a percentage spread amongst most of the top teams no matter what moves they make. There's every chance we're San Jose and don't win a championship or we could end up as Washington or Colorado who everyone gave a hard time for not making it far enough, and then they did.
It's worth remembering that the vast majority of teams that make big moves at the deadline don't win the cup or even go deep. Winning a cup is very, very hard, involves a great deal of randomness, and we have as good a shot as any team does with the current roster. What we don't want to be is a team like Florida that sells off the entire future to stack up and then loses in the 1st round. We want to be the 90s-00s Red Wings. Did they win every year? No, but they were always there as a threat, and they did win a couple of times. They also had a couple dramatic early round flameouts. That's just part of the biz. The key is putting yourself in a position to be in the mix year after year, and if you do that you'll probably break through eventually.

We're in the mix. We are built to last. I value staying in that mix for the long term way far and above everything else.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Schmaltz would be a winger that may move to center if we are down late
So what top 6 is he going to replace? Jarvis? TT? To me either one would be a lateral move, I’d much rather go after DeBrincat, younger, better scorer and RFA so we could retain him another year

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
So what top 6 is he going to re

place? Jarvis? TT? To me either one would be a lateral move, I’d much rather go after DeBrincat, younger, better scorer and RFA so we could retain him another year
I don’t think putting a near PPG winger in the place of jarvis or TT is a lateral move at this point. Especially when schmaltz’s offensive rates are Necas level with more D zone starts and his team has the puck 10% less than we do

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
scratching Chychrun until his contract runs out

they still have him signed for 2 more years so no trade pressure just yet. Now, they do run the risk of a depreciating asset if they hold him until next year with teams seeing less term.

Of course, Az is such a poorly run franchise that they could hold him for 2 more years and get zilch.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Tampa just doesn’t care about future assets. They know they’ve still got the core of the team locked up (and all but Stamkos/Hedman are U-30), so they’re doing everything in their power to maximize this window.

Can’t be mad at it. It’s also proven to work with the “overpays” for Goodrow, Coleman and Hagel.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
I think Schmaltz+Chychrun is the play here. Ghost doesn't make sense from a value perspective, and he's not stellar defensively when we already have Burns anchoring the PP.

Probably for 1st + Drury + Morrow.

You get another top 6 F, maybe not the ideal option but the real value is long term with Chychrun. He and Slavin become your defensive anchors. You try to move Skjei at the draft. Then, when the time comes, you do whatever it takes to sign Slavin, and hope Pesce takes a good deal. If not he walks, but you have Nikishin making his way into the league over the next 3 years.
Per my earlier.. Probably add a second and Gunler to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad