All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hurricure

Sr Vice President of Snacking
Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
Not criticizing the trade necessarily. It's just a novel approach for a team to burn through an entire draft effectively.

Why take a bunch of lottery tickets when you can convert them into a guarantee? That's a paradigm shift if it works out.
I guess… what’s the average of nhl players per team per draft… I know I would have traded pretty much every canes pick a in a few of our leaner years for a Jeannot I suppose

With hind-site…the draft was really all we had back then… I don’t think I’d ever want to sit a draft out

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I know there's nothing we can do, but damn as a fan it's exhausting seemingly always coming close but no cigar on these big trade and UFA pieces. The only time in the last decade+ we've actually "won" was the #2 pick in Svetch.

Some of these TDL prices like Jeannot are ridiculous...Meier seemed reasonable. Unless there's something out of left field, most remaining pieces seem meh at best even if we get them dirt cheap.

Don't know why I always get my hopes up when I know that just ain't our luck
Trocheck was a big deadline win, especially looking at the package that went back.

Nino for Rask was.a huge win as well.

They’ve happened, and something good can still happen this deadline. I’ll be frustrated if they stand pat post Pacioretty, but I think they will find someone to add.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
For the sake of the fanbase as a whole, I hope they do something soon. Being the only one of the Eastern 6 not to have made a move is going to send the panic level to a 10.
I’ll happily accept a long term move that is good value but I’m not sure we’ll find that this deadline. Let the rest of the east go all in this year in a battle royale where only 1 can be left standing. We’ll do it next year when the field is cleared out a bit

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I’ll happily accept a long term move that is good value but I’m not sure we’ll find that this deadline. Let the rest of the east go all in this year in a battle royale where only 1 can be left standing. We’ll do it next year when the field is cleared out a bit
Field isn’t gonna clear out anytime soon most of these teams will be good again next year

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Meh I don't hate the trade for Tampa. A 3rd, 4th, and 5th round pick for that team doesn't really do them much. That's just AHL fodder at best for them so why not use them to get a sure thing for depth on the NHL squad

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Q: it’s possible the market has become too frothy. Wil the Canes be able to make a reasonable trade(s) before Friday?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Q: it’s possible the market has become too frothy. Wil the Canes be able to make a reasonable trade(s) before Friday?

The market for good players that seamlessly fit under the non-existent cap space of most contending clubs and have RFA+ control is what is frothy. The Canes don't need to play these prices because of their cap situation.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Since that Ottawa reporter said the Canes are interested, I'll entertain a hypothetical Chychrun trade even though our greatest need is a goal scoring top 6 forward.

Let's say we trade 2023 1st round pick + Philly's 2024 2nd round pick + Morrow. Since one Arizona fan on the main board liked that package (proposed by @User13452), maybe, just maybe we get Chychrun. I wasn't too thrilled about Chychrun given our great top 4, but here's a big what if:

We trade Skjei for a top 6 forward with a + (like 2024's 1st round pick) or ++? Particularly because there's a high demand for defensemen, and with us getting Chychrun, we remove the biggest defensive prize from the market. The question is, what good top 6 forward could we get with a Skjei package (which team would do this)? If we trade for Chychrun, we might as well speed up the process of letting one of our top 4 defensemen go (I doubt it will be Pesce) while improving our top 6.

Just some "outside the box thinking." If we could pull off getting a top 6 forward trade for Skjei +, trading for Chychrun actually starts to make sense. Chychrun being younger and having more term than Skjei and Pesce helps long term too. However, I doubt we get Chychrun, and I also doubt we trade a significant roster player like Skjei particularly right before the deadline. Skjei has also done very well this season.

Reactions: moses malone 12

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I've read or heard it a couple of times that the team considers Skjei as part of the core. Even in that recent interview Dundon did with Seravalli
there was a question about important players who need contracts coming up (Aho, Slavin, Pesce, Turbo, etc) and Dundon made sure to point out that he left out Skjei. I don't think he would be trade bait.

Cole World

Dec 31, 2022
Fuquay
I dont worry about the locker room strife up there. I’d be pissed too. Aside from the term, he’s an immediate upgrade.

JTM and Schenn package??

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014

DATETRADE DETAILS
Feb. 26, 2023

New Jersey Devils Acquire:
Logo of the New Jersey Devils

Scott Harrington · $750,000
Timo Meier ($3,000,000 retained - 50%) · $3,000,000
Zacharie Émond · $0 (AHL/JR)
Santeri Hatakka · $0 (AHL/JR)
Timur Ibragimov · $0 (AHL/JR)
2024 5th round pick (COL)

Sum: $3,750,000
Change: +$725,000
Trade

San Jose Sharks Acquire:
Logo of the San Jose Sharks

Andreas Johnsson · $2,275,000 (AHL/JR)
Fabian Zetterlund · $750,000
Nikita Okhotiuk · $0 (AHL/JR)
Shakir Mukhamadullin · $0
2023 1st round pick (NJD) [Conditional]*
2024 2nd round pick (NJD) [Conditional]**
2024 7th round pick (NJD)

*Conditions: If the pick is a top-two selection, New Jersey will instead transfer their own 2024 first-round pick.
**Conditions: If NJD make the 2023 Eastern Conference Final (ECF) and Meier plays in 50% of the games, or NJD make the 2024 Eastern Conference Final, the pick becomes NJD's 2024 1st.

If 2024 1st is top 10, NJD have the option to instead transfer their 2025 1st.

Should NJD transfer their 2023 1st to their 2024 1st (As it is top 2 protected), and they make the conference final in 2024, SJS will receive their 2025 1st.
Sum: $3,025,000
Change: -$725,000

Was it passed without mention that there went some prospects to NJ as part of the trade?

Also, lol NJ did the Torontoan foolishness and got their 1sts in 2023, 2024, 2025 all encumbered. That will make it hard to use any of those in future trades until this gets sorted out, as they will need to have yet more conditions for various contingencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and Sigurd

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
DATETRADE DETAILS
Feb. 26, 2023

New Jersey Devils Acquire:
Logo of the New Jersey Devils

Scott Harrington · $750,000
Timo Meier ($3,000,000 retained - 50%) · $3,000,000
Zacharie Émond · $0 (AHL/JR)
Santeri Hatakka · $0 (AHL/JR)
Timur Ibragimov · $0 (AHL/JR)
2024 5th round pick (COL)

Sum: $3,750,000
Change: +$725,000
Trade

San Jose Sharks Acquire:
Logo of the San Jose Sharks

Andreas Johnsson · $2,275,000 (AHL/JR)
Fabian Zetterlund · $750,000
Nikita Okhotiuk · $0 (AHL/JR)
Shakir Mukhamadullin · $0
2023 1st round pick (NJD) [Conditional]*
2024 2nd round pick (NJD) [Conditional]**
2024 7th round pick (NJD)

*Conditions: If the pick is a top-two selection, New Jersey will instead transfer their own 2024 first-round pick.
**Conditions: If NJD make the 2023 Eastern Conference Final (ECF) and Meier plays in 50% of the games, or NJD make the 2024 Eastern Conference Final, the pick becomes NJD's 2024 1st.

If 2024 1st is top 10, NJD have the option to instead transfer their 2025 1st.

Should NJD transfer their 2023 1st to their 2024 1st (As it is top 2 protected), and they make the conference final in 2024, SJS will receive their 2025 1st.
Sum: $3,025,000
Change: -$725,000

Was it passed without mention that there went some prospects to NJ as part of the trade?

They weren't really "prospects" by the traditional definition. They're a bunch of 6th round AHL and ECHL plugs that were dealt to NJ because the Sharks were close to the 50-contract limit.

Lempo

Feb 23, 2014
They weren't really "prospects" by the traditional definition. They're a bunch of 6th round plugs that were dealt to NJ because the Sharks were close to the 50-contract limit.
This is what I was guessing but didn't yet look them up. I got all confused when a Finnmedia headline said that a Finn (Harakka) was part of a blockbuster.

Reactions: DaveG and Daeavorn

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
It'll be interesting to see how the Canes zig instead of zag yet again. I get the feeling that the Canes are going to be taking on a crap ton of salary and give up a relative pittance because of the cap that they're taking on. The JT Miller rumors particularly interest me. Would such a trade be the single-largest contract/money dump to ever take place at a trade deadline? I'm not sure, but it has to be up there, which would be totally staggering when you consider that the vast bulk of contending teams other than Carolina have zilch for cap.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
Since that Ottawa reporter said the Canes are interested, I'll entertain a hypothetical Chychrun trade even though our greatest need is a goal scoring top 6 forward.

Let's say we trade 2023 1st round pick + Philly's 2024 2nd round pick + Morrow. Since one Arizona fan on the main board liked that package (proposed by @User13452), maybe, just maybe we get Chychrun. I wasn't too thrilled about Chychrun given our great top 4, but here's a big what if:

We trade Skjei for a top 6 forward with a + (like 2024's 1st round pick) or ++? Particularly because there's a high demand for defensemen, and with us getting Chychrun, we remove the biggest defensive prize from the market. The question is, what good top 6 forward could we get with a Skjei package (which team would do this)? If we trade for Chychrun, we might as well speed up the process of letting one of our top 4 defensemen go (I doubt it will be Pesce) while improving our top 6.

Just some "outside the box thinking." If we could pull off getting a top 6 forward trade for Skjei +, trading for Chychrun actually starts to make sense. Chychrun being younger and having more term than Skjei and Pesce helps long term too. However, I doubt we get Chychrun, and I also doubt we trade a significant roster player like Skjei particularly right before the deadline. Skjei has also done very well this season.
seriously that much for Chychrun? isnt he Gardiner 2.0 , always hurt , no thanks , id be sad to trade a 2nd rounder for him , 1st ,morrow and a 2nd gets u karlsson i think , and if karlsson/burns 2.0 doesnt work out trade burns , and also saw talk about J.T Miller , have you seen him treat his team mates this year , thrash of a human being , no thanks

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
It'll be interesting to see how the Canes zig instead of zag yet again. I get the feeling that the Canes are going to be taking on a crap ton of salary and give up a relative pittance because of the cap that they're taking on. The JT Miller rumors particularly interest me. Would such a trade be the single-largest contract/money dump to ever take place at a trade deadline? I'm not sure, but it has to be up there, which would be totally staggering when you consider that the vast bulk of contending teams other than Carolina have zilch for cap.
This is the thing with JT Miller. What other contending team has the Cap space to take on Miller? I don't see one unless some team is just renting him for the Playoffs and then trying to move him this offseason which is risky as hell.

Shayna broke many of the trade parameters for Meier and was one of the first to break Jeannot. She also broke Skjei to Carolina but that was probably a Rangers tip.

JT Miller is apparently a knob but he is also a competitor. Carolina just needs to do that math on that. It is easier for a group to get along and stick to "we're just here to play hockey" when the team is winning.

Reactions: cptjeff

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I mean the entire Winnipeg thing is a giant locker room cancer isn't it? Didn't that start with Wheeler and Schiffele?

I feel bad for Nino.

I guess this is the part where we can pick up a bunch of depth waivers and cap dumps from teams trying to shed cap for picks or stuff to deal.

That would easily be a move I can see us making. Hey let's get our depth for free from the waiver wire.

Reactions: DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
This is the thing with JT Miller. What other contending team has the Cap space to take on Miller? I don't see one unless some team is just renting him for the Playoffs and then trying to move him this offseason which is risky as hell.

Shayna broke many of the trade parameters for Meier and was one of the first to break Jeannot. She also broke Skjei to Carolina but that was probably a Rangers tip.

JT Miller is apparently a knob but he is also a competitor. Carolina just needs to do that math on that. It is easier for a group to get along and stick to "we're just here to play hockey" when the team is winning.
Vegas has over $7M in space after putting Stone on LTIR, I believe. It‘s also worthwhile mentioning that Miller’s cap hit this year is $5.25M. His $8M extension kicks in next year

Going for Miller would be quite offbrand, going for Chychrun and/or Schmaltz is 100% on brand. It’ll be interesting to see if they stray from what theyve done in the past this deadline

Lempo

Feb 23, 2014
I mean the entire Winnipeg thing is a giant locker room cancer isn't it? Didn't that start with Wheeler and Schiffele?

I feel bad for Nino.

I guess this is the part where we can pick up a bunch of depth waivers and cap dumps from teams trying to shed cap for picks or stuff to deal.

That would easily be a move I can see us making. Hey let's get our depth for free from the waiver wire.
I don't get the meaning of your first paragraph, but there has been all kinds of unsubstantiated allegations of locker room problems for years. Scheifele's and Wheeler's names do come up, but I don't think there's anything tangible and verified.

I have always assumed the cold weather is the number one reason for players not wanting to end up in Winnipeg.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Does Miller even bring anything of value? I mean, what can you give for a 30 year old who's had a decline, who u have to pay 8m for? That seems like real desperation.

Schmalyz is lol bad at face offs. I really cringe to think of us paying a high price for a center with a 40% in the dot problem. It's not like you can merge him and Staal or kk into a useful piece. You'd still have to put one of your fo guys on the ice with him for draws. And he's got like 1 hit all year. Against NJ NYR bos? Ugh. Bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad