All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XII - The UFA frenzy aftermath

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think that's why the team needs to keep at least a slot open to try and snag a high upside 22-23 year old not working out somewhere and see if we can make it work. We don't want a team of people like that but an easy option is Poolparty. There have to be others but I don't follow enough games to know. Not all of them will work out but they should be cheap at that age and easy to get rid of.

I guess that's kind of what we did with KK. But we could use someone like that for a Nino replacement on Staals wing looking for 40 pts.

The other side is a Kadri like acquisition. Who are we targeting that is a top 6 forward worthy of selke votes or with proven finishing ability?

Colorado had Toews, Kadri, Lehkonen, and Manson all added this year and they all boomed around their solid core of 5 players. We have the 5 solid core players...we need to support them well now. A lot of our adds haven't worked...Dzingle, Gardnier, Domi, Vatanen....and some have been solid. But some of the guys we added never seemed like they would work from the start.
Poolparty gets a lot of mentions, but Lindblom or Kubalik also make sense to me. I see all 3 as a 3LW with potential to move up if they develop here. Strome if they decide they want to try another C or moving a C to wing.

Reactions: DaveG

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Can you provide examples of the league leveraging this teams habits?
Aho. Hamilton.

And that's in the last couple years.

We offered Hamilton 4 million less than he got. (and isn't worth) Maybe he was never staying. But that's a huge gap. We didn't bother with comps. We didn't even go the median. You can't tell me other teams weren't tripping over themselves knowing that.

If you're that far away.....

And I'm sitting here in a meeting not willing to think of more at the moment.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Poolparty gets a lot of mentions, but Lindblom or Kubalik also make sense to me. I see all 3 as a 3LW with potential to move up if they develop here. Strome if they decide they want to try another C or moving a C to wing.
Lindblom is more like a 4LW though. Kubalik had a good year 2 seasons ago but has been very pedestrian since. He does at least throw the body around but his 2 way coverage isnt that greatest. I guess he could be a decent buy real low candidate.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Aho. Hamilton.

We offered Hamilton 4 million less than he got. (and isn't worth) Maybe he was never staying. But that's a huge gap. We didn't bother with comps. We didn't even go the median. You can't tell me other teams weren't tripping over themselves knowing that.

Aho was an example of Aho leveraging the team, not the league leveraging the team.

We had seen plenty of RFAs in protracted negotiations, but Aho was the first offer sheet accepted in 6 years. Aho wanted a 5 year deal; Carolina didn't. Aho found a way to get the contract he wanted.

If anything, Aho's low AAV was an example of the bias against Carolina leading to a more reasonable contract because Bergevin made incorrect assumptions about Dundon based on media reports.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Aho. Hamilton.

You’re not willing cause you’re stubborn enough to have backed yourself into a corner of bullshit

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Aho needed a team to be on board. I'm not trying to argue the details here, but that required a willing partner. Aho is literally the guy we're supposed to build your team around, and he felt the need for this. It's exactly the thing I'm talking about.

As a side note I'd bet he's gone at the end of that contract too. Time will tell I guess.
Aho was an example of Aho leveraging the team, not the league leveraging the team.

We had seen plenty of RFAs in protracted negotiations, but Aho was the first offer sheet accepted in 6 years. Aho wanted a 5 year deal; Carolina didn't. Aho found a way to get the contract he wanted.

If anything, Aho's low AAV was an example of the bias against Carolina leading to a more reasonable contract because Bergevin made incorrect assumptions about Dundon based on media reports.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Colorado had Kadri a lot longer than this year. They added him three years ago because Toronto were idiots and went out and signed Tavares before taking care of extensions for their core, wrecking their entire cap structure going forward.

Same with Toews, Colorado got him because the Isles traded for JG Pageau then signed him to a stupid extension instead of keeping Toews.

We'll need to see who shakes loose as a result of the cap stupidity right now. We're in decent position to pick up someone, but we'll see.

^
Petry makes sense, probably could get him for Suzuki.

Burns oh f*** no, max retention still wouldn't do it for me.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Using the Hamilton situation as a negative for the team is hilarious. Letting him go was probably the smartest thing they’ve done in a while.

He’s not worth what Jersey paid him, and we didn’t overpay to try and compete with that offer. We simply said “Here’s our offer, take it or leave it.”

And when he didn’t take it (for 4 million good reasons), we simply replaced him with someone making a fraction of his cost.

EDIT: Of course, if we throw that away and simply go after Burns, then what the hell?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Colorado had Kadri a lot longer than this year. They added him three years ago because Toronto were idiots and went out and signed Tavares before taking care of extensions for their core, wrecking their entire cap structure going forward.

Same with Toews, Colorado got him because the Isles traded for JG Pageau then signed him to a stupid extension instead of keeping Toews.

We'll need to see who shakes loose as a result of the cap stupidity right now. We're in decent position to pick up someone, but we'll see.

^
Petry makes sense, probably could get him for Suzuki.

Burns oh f*** no, max retention still wouldn't do it for me.
It's not a short-term build, no. But it also wasn't just going out and paying top dollar on the FA market to fill holes.

In fact, as you point out it was the subsequent moves from a team going out and picking up a top tier UFA (Tavares) that led to the Kadri trade.

Reactions: DaveG

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
It's not a short-term build, no. But it also wasn't just going out and paying top dollar on the FA market to fill holes.

In fact, as you point out it was the subsequent moves from a team going out and picking up a top tier UFA (Tavares) that led to the Kadri trade.
And that Tavares contract is still hindering the leafs from improving their team.

Reactions: cptjeff

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Petry would be okay but I think his contract is 1 year too long and Montreal will want good assets. Pass.

Burns is a better defender than TDA but im not excited about the length or the cost. Pass.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
If we ditch TDA over a million in cap hit, then get Burns just..... Wtf lol.

Burns, malkin, Kane, Giroux...

We could have like the 2013 all star team.
Without the signing bonuses he makes 3 million in salary the next 3 years. 3.5 signing bonus this year and 2 million the next 2 summers

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Go get Colin Miller, spend the money on wingers / malkin to score and lets get it.

Overpaying for a defender in trade or FA doesn’t make a ton of sense when we have Morrow and Seeley waiting.

A defense of:
Slavin-Bear
Skjei-Pesce
Gardiner-Miller

Isn’t the worst thing with Chatfield ready as 7D. Although I would prefer to get rid of Gardiner but that isn’t our MO. Offer sheet Hague to sub with Gardiner and we have a pretty good top 6. No elite puck mover but Slavin, Skjei, Bear and Miller could all handle the puck with relative confidence.

Reactions: Chrispy

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Burns doesn’t make much sense. He’s 35, 3 years left on his contract, at $8 mill per season. Even at 50% retention I think his contract could be an anchor in his final year or two.

Petry and his 3 years at $6.25m seem like a tough pill to swallow too.

Burns makes sense if SJ also pays Carolina assets on top of 50% retention.

I like the way Burns plays. Petry too. I think Rod would like both as well.

They both fall into the category of Waddel's "teams looking to move money" comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad