All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XII - The UFA frenzy aftermath

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Lindblom is more like a 4LW though. Kubalik had a good year 2 seasons ago but has been very pedestrian since. He does at least throw the body around but his 2 way coverage isnt that greatest. I guess he could be a decent buy real low candidate.
Blackhawks making certain FA's nervous since teams will pick from the garbage bin versus overpaying for an average older FA. May impact a guy like NIno more than Tro. If Krejci comes back to Boston, Tro will lose one possible suitor.

I wonder if the Borg sees value to pursuing Nino at $5mm x2 should the market prove thin.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Burns doesn’t make much sense. He’s 35, 3 years left on his contract, at $8 mill per season. Even at 50% retention I think his contract could be an anchor in his final year or two.

Petry and his 3 years at $6.25m seem like a tough pill to swallow too.
Not just 35 for Burns, 37.

The dude was a shit skater already, even at full retention he's a guy that's going to be 40 by the time the contract ends that skates like shit even now. He's closer to a 2 million dollar player at this point just because that contact goes for 3 more f***ing years.

Petry isn't young either, but he'll at least be younger than Burns is now when his contact ends. And I'd still want some retention with Petry.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Burns doesn’t make much sense. He’s 35, 3 years left on his contract, at $8 mill per season. Even at 50% retention I think his contract could be an anchor in his final year or two.

Petry and his 3 years at $6.25m seem like a tough pill to swallow too.
He's actually 37, contract takes him to 40. Even @ $4M (max retention) and I still don't think I'd want to do it because he's already falling off the cliff...

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
That's not a playoff defense lol Bear.

From press box to first pair.

Are you forgetting that he started his career as a hurricane on the first pair and looked pretty good.

If reports are to be believed, covid really cost him the season and then he had a foot injury later on. If he has to be back then hopefully he is fully recovered and we can see some of what he originally brought.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Are you forgetting that he started his career as a hurricane on the first pair and looked pretty good.

If reports are to be believed, covid really cost him the season and then he had a foot injury later on. If he has to be back then hopefully he is fully recovered and we can see some of what he originally brought.
he dont care about logic. only cares it aint TDA there.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The cope here every year is comedy.

This team will never be tb, Col, bos, pit, etc.

The best we might get is SJ.

Lowballers don't win cups. Lowballers don't land elite finishing talent.

3OTQrR.gif

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
To me signing Klingberg would go against everything we know about team dundell so far. But who knows, maybe they think now is the time the window really opens and they should take on more risk

Paying $6.1m and a first round draft pick for one year of Kotkaniemi is very much against what we know the Borg and Dundon want to do, but we still did it. And then locked him up for 8 years despite limited minutes this season. There were also a lot of people who thought that paying $4.5m aav for an injury prone Freddie Andersen was not smart and yet....

The Borg is gonna do what the Borg is gonna do. If they see an opportunity to improve the team they'll take it. And when it comes to bringing talent in, I'm not fully convinced they see cost as the same kind of road block that we think it is.

They just think certain positions are more replaceable than we do.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
That's not a playoff defense lol Bear.

From press box to first pair.
A lot of posters here keep bagging on Bear. And yes he wasn't very good after having his bout with COVID. No matter what some of you may think long COVID is a very real thing and we still don't know the nature of whatever had his leg in a boot at the end of the season, although I believe they did mention that it wasn't anything too serious.

Now I like to have a drink in the evenings, sometimes maybe a few, and I've been known to partake in the devils lettuce, so sometimes my memory isn't the best. It's safe to say that I've awoken to meet the day a little fuzzy headed probably more than most. Reading all the takes about Bear on here had me questioning my own memory, contemplating maybe even backing off my evening rituals as I seem to have a very different memory of Bear than most of the posters here. So last evening (while enjoying my libations and a little bit of Blueberry Kush) I decided to go check out some game highlights of everyone's favorite press box defenseman, I fired up the ol' Google docs, and what started as an exercise in jogging my memory and taking a few notes quickly turned into a full on book report.

Does Ethan Bear Suck?

Anyways, I don't expect the majority of you to even look at the document. For those that do, please excuse my lack of technical acumen, and terrible formatting, I am but a lowly chicken farmer, compruters aren't really my thing. And yes I know, small sample size, focusing on only a few video clips, blah blah blah, feel free to further investigate yourselves.

A few takeaways from watching a couple of hours worth of Hurricanes highlights last night, Ian Cole and Brendan Smith cant skate well enough for the modern NHL. TDA gets extremely puck focused in the defensive end of the ice, and gives up on the play easily when he's beat. Either Slavin had an off season or he really struggled to keep TDA out of trouble, the gap between TDA and Dougie on the defensive side of the ice is HUGE. I hope they find a better partner for Slavin this season. And while I don't think Ethan Bear is ready for that role, he should be a more than capable 2nd, and what I would consider a higher end 3rd pairing defenseman, either on this team or whatever team they end up flipping him to.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Not just 35 for Burns, 37.

The dude was a shit skater already, even at full retention he's a guy that's going to be 40 by the time the contract ends that skates like shit even now. He's closer to a 2 million dollar player at this point just because that contact goes for 3 more f***ing years.

Petry isn't young either, but he'll at least be younger than Burns is now when his contact ends. And I'd still want some retention with Petry.
agreed re: Burns (and Petry)....

FWW: put me in the camp that the Canes are going to pull off a trade/signing that the prognosticators like Friedman aren't promoting or seeing.

btw: Canes, please don't position Bear anywhere near the top 2 pairings.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad