All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XII - The UFA frenzy aftermath

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The cope here every year is comedy.

This team will never be tb, Col, bos, pit, etc.

The best we might get is SJ.

Lowballers don't win cups. Lowballers don't land elite finishing talent.
1657633449052.png

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Seems like you could probably save a lot of time and stop watching canes games if that’s your honest outlook.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I think we show the boys we are serious. After the return for DeBrindecat? I wonder if Chicago would go for this.

Kane (50%) for Suzuki, Canes 2023 1st, Gadnier.

Chicago would definitely not go for that. You want them to retain the max, accept a cap dump in Gardiner and the best piece they’re getting back is (hopefully) a very low first round pick? I don’t think Suzuki holds much value around the league. He hasn’t been able to stay healthy and, as such, has done little since being drafted. This is a really weak offer.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Seems like you could probably save a lot of time and stop watching canes games if that’s your honest outlook.
Or people could stop fantasizng with the same 'let's sign this major rfa." evedy year. Same thing goes with our own UFA' s.

That's my point. Every year the same pattern emerges. But wait! Such and such is left!

Please, lol.

And Kane? Malkin? Seriously? Neither of them is what this team needs. Dudes at the end of their careers?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
That's a pretty stupid take considering you're a fan of the team too. But hey, that's what I've come to expect from you. Keep meeting those expectations. It's enjoyable to watch you hate me so much.
you should take your own advice. the off-season has barely started.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Or people could stop fantasizng with the same 'let's sign this major rfa." evedy year. Same thing goes with our own UFA' s.

That's my point. Every year the same pattern emerges. But wait! Such and such is left!

Please, lol.

And Kane? Malkin? Seriously? Neither of them is what this team needs. Dudes at the end of their careers?

Sports fans hoping to use resources during Free Agency to improve the team? On a message board? Somebody lock these people up and throw away the key.

This place is for whining. Not sports talk.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
your act is getting really old already and it didn't start that long ago (when TDA was traded)... If this is the only thing you're going to keep posting, why bother?
what is funnier is one of his examples, TB, doesnt sign big FAs either. They were also known as low ballers and a team that didnt make big moves at the deadline. But we wouldnt want facts to get in the way.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Who was the big FA signing in Tampa?

Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, Cirelli, Killorn, Palat, Hedman, Vasilevsky all drafted.
Cernak, Sergachev, Myers, Paul, Hagel were trade targets.

Same with Colorado. Makar, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Rantanen, Byram all drafted. Johnson, Girard, Toews, Kadri, Lehkonen, Manson, Kuemper were trades.

The big FA acquisition by these two teams was Nichushkin, who was a non-qualified UFA by Dallas who signed a 2 year, 2.5M deal.

This front office is building in a very similar way to how Tampa and Colorado built their teams: through the draft, development, and targeted trades.

So is the argument the team was never bad enough to be a Tampa or Colorado? They did win the lottery once for Svech, but both Tampa and Colorado have multiple lottery picks.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast

Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, Cirelli, Killorn, Palat, Hedman, Vasilevsky all drafted.

Same with Colorado. Makar, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Rantanen, Byram all drafted. Johnson, Girard, Toews, Kadri, Lehkonen, Manson, Kuemper were trades.

The big FA acquisition by these two teams was Nichushkin, who was a non-qualified UFA by Dallas who signed a 2 year, 2.5M deal.

This front office is building in a very similar way to how Tampa and Colorado built their teams: through the draft, development, and targeted trades.

So is the argument the team was never bad enough to be a Tampa or Colorado? They did win the lottery once for Svech, but both Tampa and Colorado have multiple lottery picks.
Tampa retains a lot of their talent. They draft better as well.

Yall can pile on all you want, but it won't change the situation.

Granted we retained Aho, Svech, and the rest, but the fact is we have huge holes no elite scoring and a soft side. Make of that what you will but this isn't just about TDA or Tro. In the back of my mind I'm hoping tro stays because we are losing even more physicality.

Bear and Gards tho. Better than Barrie and Bear? Or is it.

So since Ive been around longer than you, I can tell you your act is getting old and you’ll have to listen, yeah?
Nope. I don't care how much you all dislike me. The patten is the same and it's comical.

We don't sign high caliber ufa's and we have a habit of letting talent go. Teams and GM's know how to lever our talent away form us.

Keep denying it. I'm done arguing it.

Reactions: cptjeff

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Tampa retains a lot of their talent. They draft better as well.

Yall can pile on all you want, but it won't change the situation.

Granted we retained Aho, Svech, and the rest, but the fact is we have huge holes no elite scoring and a soft side. Make of that what you will but this isn't just about TDA or Tro. In the back of my mind I'm hoping tro stays because we are losing even more physicality.

Bear and Gards tho. Better than Barrie and Bear? Or is it.
I agree on TDA; despite not liking the signing last year I wanted to keep TDA for at least one more year. But he wasn't going to be a top pairing player here and he wasn't going to be a long-term core piece. I expected him to be used to let Morrow develop more or wait for another trade/UFA opportunity to arise.

Trocheck was a great pickup for spare parts. Is he worth $6-7M long term at age 29? I don't think he is, but his 21-22 salary was $6.25M and he is going to be looking for a raise. That is exactly the type of hard call a top tier team has to make, and the type that can bite you in 2-3 years if you sign a player whose production falls off.

The Borg have made some great trade pickups: Nino for Rask, Trocheck for spare parts, Skjei for a late 1st. But with Nino and Trocheck UFAs now, they need to find more trades at value or UFAs at value like Fast.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Please, lol.

Please recall though that under Dundon, the team does spend to the cap.

Although worried, I'm still optimistic that next year's roster will be much better than we see now.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The disconnect appears to be that you think the players are more valuable to the team than they are. We don’t sign high caliber UFAs because the contracts they require often become albatrosses before the contract expires. We let high talent individuals go for the same reason.

We assign a cost to each player on the team based on how theyll likely perform on this team, and offer them contracts based on that. Sometimes it matches up, but most of the time, other teams are going to overpay for their services and the player will leave. That’s business.

It sucks sometimes, but after dealing with JR, I’d much rather the team let players walk than overpay and be stuck with a nigh-immovable contract.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
What trades do we see today for teams to clear space to sign their guy tomorrow?

Philly pays an arm and a leg to move JVR? Talk about a distressed asset we could target (not at 7 million a year, someone would have to retain at least 2 million).
Vegas going to make a move or two? If not Hague is my favorite offer sheet candidate. Would look good at 3LD the next 2 seasons and possibly take over for Skjei at 2LD after.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I agree on TDA; despite not liking the signing last year I wanted to keep TDA for at least one more year. But he wasn't going to be a top pairing player here and he wasn't going to be a long-term core piece. I expected him to be used to let Morrow develop more or wait for another trade/UFA opportunity to arise.

Trocheck was a great pickup for spare parts. Is he worth $6-7M long term at age 29? I don't think he is, but his 21-22 salary was $6.25M and he is going to be looking for a raise. That is exactly the type of hard call a top tier team has to make, and the type that can bite you in 2-3 years if you sign a player whose production falls off.

The Borg have made some great trade pickups: Nino for Rask, Trocheck for spare parts, Skjei for a late 1st. But with Nino and Trocheck UFAs now, they need to find more trades at value or UFAs at value like Fast.
Rask for Nino was one of the best trades we made in recent years. Rask was bad.

I still think Necas is gone.

Look I know we make good trades, but the fact remains that often GMs will leverage this team's habit of being penny pinching to lever talent. There's a reason Aho felt the need to sign an offer sheet. Sure that worked out, but the entire league knows how we roll, and they use it.

I keep seeing how we Qo'd Bear for asset protection. I think we Qo'd him. Because he's the 3rd pair.

Reactions: cptjeff

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Rask for Nino was one of the best trades we made in recent years. Rask was bad.

I still think Necas is gone.

Look I know we make good trades, but the fact remains that often GMs will leverage this team's habit of being penny pinching to lever talent. There's a reason Aho felt the need to sign an offer sheet. Sure that worked out, but the entire league knows how we roll, and they use it.
Can you provide examples of the league leveraging this teams habits?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

I think that's why the team needs to keep at least a slot open to try and snag a high upside 22-23 year old not working out somewhere and see if we can make it work. We don't want a team of people like that but an easy option is Poolparty. There have to be others but I don't follow enough games to know. Not all of them will work out but they should be cheap at that age and easy to get rid of.

I guess that's kind of what we did with KK. But we could use someone like that for a Nino replacement on Staals wing looking for 40 pts.

The other side is a Kadri like acquisition. Who are we targeting that is a top 6 forward worthy of selke votes or with proven finishing ability?

Colorado had Toews, Kadri, Lehkonen, and Manson all added this year and they all boomed around their solid core of 5 players. We have the 5 solid core players...we need to support them well now. A lot of our adds haven't worked...Dzingle, Gardnier, Domi, Vatanen....and some have been solid. But some of the guys we added never seemed like they would work from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad