All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XII - The UFA frenzy aftermath

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Had pretty good analytics last year and put up .5ppg. Only 26. Pretty good fit for a slot at 3LW that is objectively open on our roster.
Pretty much this. And he is decent in a skill role if he needs to move up. Again, it's a secondary move in my mind if we make it, so he's a good fit for something like that to me.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Had pretty good analytics last year and put up .5ppg. Only 26. Pretty good fit for a slot at 3LW that is objectively open on our roster.
Ok. Seems odd that another team wouldn’t qualify him then. But like I said, I didn’t watch him much in Anaheim so was curious.

My take. Jordan made nestrasil and Nordstrom look good. If Milano comes cheap, he and Fast can probably make it work.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ok. Seems odd that another team wouldn’t qualify him then. But like I said, I didn’t watch him much in Anaheim so was curious.

My take. Jordan made nestrasil and Nordstrom look good. If Milano comes cheap, he and Fast can probably make it work.

CapFriendly has already switched over to next year’s RFAs so I can’t really see the details of the QO - but based on his age I’d guess he was arbitration eligible and the team probably didn’t want to go that route.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
CapFriendly has already switched over to next year’s RFAs so I can’t really see the details of the QO - but based on his age I’d guess he was arbitration eligible and the team probably didn’t want to go that route.
1.8M QO and yes arbitration eligible.

0.5 ppg last season (34 in 66 games), but by far his best NHL season with the next highest 22 points in 55 games.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Bear at 100% healthy should have played over Brendan Smith though, all day every day.
How do we know he wasn’t healthy? There was no reports other than fans speculating.

I hope he succeeds, but I’m not convinced it was his health keeping him out of the lineup. He struggles whenever pressure is applied.

Either way, even if you accept he’s a better bottom pairing option, my point is that a bottom pairing option isn’t much of an insurance policy.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
How do we know he wasn’t healthy? There was no reports other than fans speculating.

I hope he succeeds, but I’m not convinced it was his health keeping him out of the lineup. He struggles whenever pressure is applied.

Either way, even if you accept he’s a better bottom pairing option, my point is that a bottom pairing option isn’t much of an insurance policy.

I think in his exit interview he talked explicitly about Covid impacting him, did he not?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think in his exit interview he talked explicitly about Covid impacting him, did he not?
I’m sure it did, but for months to the point where he was worse than Smith? Long Covid is a thing, so maybe.

Still, people are missing my point. my point is I don’t think Bear is a viable back up plan for our top pairing RD should everything else fall through.

I don’t think the Csnes will let it come to that either.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The Bear situation is IMO insurance. Sure, they could get Klingberg, but they also probably won't and they'll still have Bear if all options fall apart.
Yeah, I don't think he's "on ice" insurance at all. He's pure trade bait with Carolina retaining a bit. That makes him more palatable. I've got to believe that, right now, unless something else pops up, Jalen Chatfield and Joey Keane are fighting it out for 3rd pair RHD.

Canes qualified Bear because they didn't want to lose an asset that they feel has value as part of a trade. The top 4 RHD is almost certainly coming in a trade IMO and may or may not be a PPQB. Gardiner will be given every chance to rehabilitate himself and take on that role, otherwise, he's likely traded as part of a package as well.....that's how I see this playing out today at 7:15 PM. Tomorrow's another day, though.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I’m sure it did, but for months to the point where he was worse than Smith? Long Covid is a thing, so maybe.

Still, people are missing my point. my point is I don’t think Bear is a viable back up plan for our top pairing RD should everything else fall through.

I don’t think the Csnes will let it come to that either.
Right, I can see Bear back as RD3, and us rolling something like

Slavin - (UFA-Trade)/Pesce
Skjei - Pesce (UFA-Trade)
Gardner - Bear
Chatfield/Keane

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Yep. And depending on who that UFA/Trade is, this could either be a perfectly average or exceptionally good group of 6 dmen.
I still could see Gardiner for Barrie as a buy-low and then the Canes getting someone really good for his role like Soucy for the bottom pair.

Slavin-Barrie
Skjei-Pesce
Soucy-Bear
Chatfield

Is a really solid group of 7 if Barrie rebounds next to Slavin.

If we're lucky enough to have Klingberg here for a year, maybe trade Gardiner to Arizona or Chicago as a pure cap dump and make these the pairings:

Slavin-Klingberg
Skjei-Pesce
Soucy-Bear
Chatfield

Reactions: ndp

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Gards-Bear has the potential to be an absolute disaster reminiscent of the dark decade. The big problem with QO Bear is that when he signs (he'd be dumb to turn down that contract)...if he plays like he did most of last year, he's immovable. Plus Chatfield deserves that spot more based on performance. Gards as 3LD is expensive, but might give us PP flexibility we've needed, he's not expected to be a top 4 guy. I dunno, this offseason so far isn't giving me any warm & fuzzies.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Im convinced we’ll end this offseason with one of these guys on the Canes.

P. Kane, Tank, Malkin, Giroux, Wheeler, Trocheck, or Kadri.

I think we could figure out one of those forwards and still bring in Klingberg too. But I’m overall doubtful we get him, he’s gonna get a nice contract from someone.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I’d welcome back Fleury on the 3rd pair:

Donato is my target. I would take Fleury on a cheap 1 year to be a 7D.

Im convinced we’ll end this offseason with one of these guys on the Canes.

P. Kane, Tank, Malkin, Giroux, Wheeler, Trocheck, or Kadri.

I think we could figure out one of those forwards and still bring in Klingberg too. But I’m overall doubtful we get him, he’s gonna get a nice contract from someone.
Trocheck and Kadri will not. Term will be too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad