All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XII - The UFA frenzy aftermath

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
CapFriendly has already switched over to next year’s RFAs so I can’t really see the details of the QO - but based on his age I’d guess he was arbitration eligible and the team probably didn’t want to go that route.
The individual page of the player shows his past contracts. You may need calculator though, as since 2020, QO is the lower of final year's base salary or (for backheavy contract signed after the 2020 MOU) 120 percent of the AAV.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
What about Gardiner plus either a draft pick or Suzuki/ Rees to the Ducks for Shattenkirk. The Ducks are in a rebuild so the extra 100K in salary isn’t going to hurt and draft picks and or young talent is a plus.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I love Perron...Problem with him is he's been outperforming his contract for at least 4-5 years, never got more than $4M/yr, and he's 34. You have to think he's going to want to recoup some of that with a 4+ yr $6M+ contract or something

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Gards-Bear has the potential to be an absolute disaster reminiscent of the dark decade. The big problem with QO Bear is that when he signs (he'd be dumb to turn down that contract)...if he plays like he did most of last year, he's immovable. Plus Chatfield deserves that spot more based on performance. Gards as 3LD is expensive, but might give us PP flexibility we've needed, he's not expected to be a top 4 guy. I dunno, this offseason so far isn't giving me any warm & fuzzies.
Gardiner scares me due to hip situation. that is a tough injury to recover from. I think Bear if healthy is capable but agree that he is probably viewed as a trade asset right now. Really like Chatfield but concerned he can hold up. he's pretty thin and plays a physical game.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Gards-Bear has the potential to be an absolute disaster reminiscent of the dark decade. The big problem with QO Bear is that when he signs (he'd be dumb to turn down that contract)...if he plays like he did most of last year, he's immovable. Plus Chatfield deserves that spot more based on performance. Gards as 3LD is expensive, but might give us PP flexibility we've needed, he's not expected to be a top 4 guy. I dunno, this offseason so far isn't giving me any warm & fuzzies.
I mean... yeah kinda. During the dark years that was more like our #2 pairing or sometimes even the #1 after the Pitkanen injury. Huge health "ifs" around both guys but if that's our #3 pairing going into next season I'm... OK with it. Would have preferred TDA in that role but the borg don't pay to make problems go away.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I think we show the boys we are serious. After the return for DeBrindecat? I wonder if Chicago would go for this.

Kane (50%) for Suzuki, Canes 2023 1st, Gadnier.

We sign Klingberg (just going by the rumors?

Trade for Pool party (dunno cost sounds minor at this point)

Kane Aho TT
Svech Necas/KK Jarvis
PP Staal Fast (Staal pp fast?)
Martinook Necas/KK Drury

Slavin Klingberger
Skeji Pesce
Ahler/depth signing - Bear

Andersen
Raanta

Alternatively we could trade for Miller instead of Kane and put him at 1c. Call up JR and tell him he still owes us for the Jordan Staal trade setting him up for a couple cups in Pitts. The difference is I don't see any way Vancouver takes back Gards since they're not tanking ala Chicago.

Last edited:

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
There has clearly been a lot of tampering and Carolina is a very un-sexy team to speculate/rumor about. No news isn't bad news. I would give the doom and gloom one day. For all we know they have a signing and a trade lined up.

Tarasenko was never available. He wanted out last season too. A trade request doesn't mean much. St. Louis is competing for a Cup and he is one of their best players.

I would expect at least a few moves today around the league as teams jockey for Cap space.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
we werent going to trade for Tarasenko after this season anyways.

With Philly buying out Lindbolm in an effort to get Gaudreau (which is pretty funny), the market will even itself out. Who else are they going to trade out, i wonder. presumably trying to get rid of JVR but that will be tough to do.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
borg might be big braining themselves into a corner here. i think we will have to pay up for someone eventually or there will be no talent left to sign at any of our open positions

They're voyerouists? ...they want to watch people play musical chairs and offer the leftovers a slot at a discount...that's the only way to find value. We may have a signing lined up for tomorrow for someone who really wants to be here. Maybe someone who wants to join the growing Finnish colony. But then it will be a few days and someone will take less than market money to not be left out.

I want us to use all that value to bring in a big dick add that will push us from very good to clear contender that says ...this is our block now son move along.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
All y'all are hilarious.

Repeat after me: This team does not sign big UFAs.
Doesnt have to be a UFA signing, trades too. We needed top 6 talent last year and now were losing tro and nino.

We need to sign someone that can score at least 40 pts or 20 goals for Staals LW. I dont see that as a "big" UFA signing but I am slightly concerned with the rapidity of the depletion of the top talent that was supposedly going to be available in FA.

Now that there are fewer top end people to sign, the mid level guys will get grabbed up next.

I don't think that is an unrealistic concern to have.

Reactions: cptjeff and Sigurd

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
The cope here every year is comedy.

This team will never be tb, Col, bos, pit, etc.

The best we might get is SJ.

Lowballers don't win cups. Lowballers don't land elite finishing talent.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We're signing Klingberg, right?
Magic 8 Ball GIF by Jim Gaffigan - Find & Share on GIPHY

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events