All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 6 - let the waiting game commence

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
If we pick up Dell I wonder if John would be able to bring himself to refer to him as only his last name. Every time we played them it seemed like he exclusively called him "Aaron Dell"

I post this any time Dell is brought up as a target. Him and Tripp, all f***ing game. Its like they have some inside Frozen joke dropping Arendelle any chance they get.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
31 Thoughts: Could short-term deals break RFA stalemates? - Sportsnet.ca

Canes notes from Friedman today:

Looks like SJ was possibly open to moving Aaron Dell for Marleau (likely @50%). Canes are linked to Mike Smith again.

Puljujarvi is as high-upside as an acquisition gets. I don't think he needs to specifically play with Aho to succeed. Many reports I saw said that communication was an issue with Puljujarvi, just having Aho/TT/Finns on the roster to explain what Rod wants in Finnish could get him on the right track. I can see a scenario where an 18 year old kid who goes to the struggling Oilers and can't comprehend his coaching very well, stunting his growth.

Maybe it ends with a bust but Puljujarvi has Necas/Suzuki level skill. If he pans out it would be a great gamble in exchange for a lesser forward prospect or 2020 2nd.

The longer Williams drags this out, the more Puljujarvi makes sense for this team. There won't be room for a forward acquisition, a Williams-replacement and Williams himself, if he decides to come back after his replacement is acquired, financially, unless we're talking about a Marleau-like hometown discount.

Puljujarvi is going to be a cheap re-sign under the circumstances and that makes him someone that can be pushed down the lineup without disrupting the team cap/salary structure.

Trade McGinn for Puljujarvi
Trade a future or two for Haula
Sign Carpenter (right-handed faceoff guy)

Teravainen - Aho - Puljujarvi
Niederreiter - Staal - Svechnikov
Foegele - Haula - Necas
Martinook - Wallmark - Carpenter

If Williams decides to come back, push Foegele, Puljujarvi or Necas down to the 4th line, depending on performance.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Does anyone think the team could/would/should offer Vegas a couple of picks for Marchessault and Clarkson? We get them out of a big hole by taking $10+M in cap off their books and get an excellent player in Marchessault for the cost of taking Clarkson for one year. This gets us a very affordable top six RHS winger/center and lets them basically sign/keep everyone else.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
I've never seen frozen but Earendil was an elf who carried the Silmaril across the sky and fathered Elrond
The name's been co-opted. Let it go.

Bupr.gif

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Does anyone think the team could/would/should offer Vegas a couple of picks for Marchessault and Clarkson? We get them out of a big hole by taking $10+M in cap off their books and get an excellent player in Marchessault for the cost of taking Clarkson for one year. This gets us a very affordable top six RHS winger/center and lets them basically sign/keep everyone else.

Vegas has too many other tradeable contracts to deal Marchessault, of all players. They can easily get underneath the limit by dealing the likes of Miller/Haula/Eakin/Smith and not mess with the core of the team.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The longer Williams drags this out, the more Puljujarvi makes sense for this team. There won't be room for a forward acquisition, a Williams-replacement and Williams himself, if he decides to come back after his replacement is acquired, financially, unless we're talking about a Marleau-like hometown discount.

Puljujarvi is going to be a cheap re-sign under the circumstances and that makes him someone that can be pushed down the lineup without disrupting the team cap/salary structure.

Trade McGinn for Puljujarvi
Trade a future or two for Haula
Sign Carpenter (right-handed faceoff guy)

Teravainen - Aho - Puljujarvi
Niederreiter - Staal - Svechnikov
Foegele - Haula - Necas
Martinook - Wallmark - Carpenter

If Williams decides to come back, push Foegele, Puljujarvi or Necas down to the 4th line, depending on performance.
Poolparty on our top line:thumbd:
That is a bad off-season

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Keep in mind that Vegas would be paying to be rid of Clarkson to avoid the daily roster management issues Carolina would run into if acquired.

It doesn't sound like the Knights are interested in paying a big price to get rid of his contract anyway. No one has put it up the trade board yet, but Friedman was on Calgary radio 2 days ago and said that "they were offering a 5th round around the draft" (go to ~9:45 at Elliotte Friedman discusses Bobrovsky/Panarin's future, the Flames and RFAs - Sportsnet.ca). Perhaps they're just playing hardball in the short-term, but perhaps they don't mind dealing with the LTIR issues for a year

Reactions: MinJerkBen

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
$89,024,999

Vegas isn't a touch over the cap. They are basically the *max* allowed amount over the cap at any time during the year. They have *10* forwards making over $2.7 million each, and an 11th who's an RFA with arb rights who's never played a minute in the NHL. They were forced to non-qualify five guys, which will basically gut their AHL team in Chicago. Winning has clearly had a price, out there.

And after the way they wielded their power during the expansion draft, I don't think a lot of GMs are looking for excuses to help them out. It's going to be really painful, I think.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
31 Thoughts: Could short-term deals break RFA stalemates? - Sportsnet.ca

Canes notes from Friedman today:

Looks like SJ was possibly open to moving Aaron Dell for Marleau (likely @50%). Canes are linked to Mike Smith again.

Puljujarvi is as high-upside as an acquisition gets. I don't think he needs to specifically play with Aho to succeed. Many reports I saw said that communication was an issue with Puljujarvi, just having Aho/TT/Finns on the roster to explain what Rod wants in Finnish could get him on the right track. I can see a scenario where an 18 year old kid who goes to the struggling Oilers and can't comprehend his coaching very well, stunting his growth.

Maybe it ends with a bust but Puljujarvi has Necas/Suzuki level skill. If he pans out it would be a great gamble in exchange for a lesser forward prospect or 2020 2nd.
I like the thought of Puljujarvi playing for us based on what you said. I could see him doing better if he had Finnish linesmates to play with too

Pulju, and getting a top 6 center man this offseason would be impressive IMO. I'm not sure if we'd do something like that at most or not, but excluding the goalie situation, I don't think there would be much more to do especially since we have kids challenging for spots at the bottom of the forwards and D for this upcoming season.

Reactions: Unsustainable

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Steve Kouleas just reported a few minutes ago that Darling was bought out, but I’m not seeing any evidence of that anywhere...

Am I missing something?

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Vegas has too many other tradeable contracts to deal Marchessault, of all players. They can easily get underneath the limit by dealing the likes of Miller/Haula/Eakin/Smith and not mess with the core of the team.

I get it, but this is not a "one guy has to go" type situation. They probably have to move *three* players, minimum to even be compliant, then they still have to clear space to sign Gusev and Subban.

I couldn't pick Gusev out of a police lineup, and I have no idea what he's worth, but if he were to sign an offer sheet for the league minimum, Vegas *couldn't* match it, according to league rules.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
$89,024,999

Vegas isn't a touch over the cap. They are basically the *max* allowed amount over the cap at any time during the year. They have *10* forwards making over $2.7 million each, and an 11th who's an RFA with arb rights who's never played a minute in the NHL. They were forced to non-qualify five guys, which will basically gut their AHL team in Chicago. Winning has clearly had a price, out there.

And after the way they wielded their power during the expansion draft, I don't think a lot of GMs are looking for excuses to help them out. It's going to be really painful, I think.

This is why I think the offer sheet ideas are misguided looking at the top:

Would you pay Malcolm Subban $1.39M as a one-year flier? That's double his salary this year and would require zero compensation to Vegas.

Gusev is a difficult one to estimate one given he's close to UFA, but only has 1 year NHL experience. You could buy out UFA years, or try to sign him to a less expensive 1-year deal and rent him for a lower pick.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
With Luongo's retirement, that puts one more team in the hunt for a goalie. Mrazek just got a little more attractive and so did Mac.

But isn't that one of the possibilities for Bobrovsky? Seems like that doesn't open options the same way if Bobrovsky ends up in Florida as we assumed he might.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
With Luongo's retirement, that puts one more team in the hunt for a goalie. Mrazek just got a little more attractive and so did Mac.
they are blowing their wad on Panarin and Bob. To live in a pit of doom like Minnesota does but for 5 less years.

edit: meant Bob and typed bread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad