All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 6 - let the waiting game commence

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
40 goal scorer Anders Lee is probably looking for 8-9 million dollars long term, and even if we were to pay anywhere near that, he probably insists on a NMC/NTC from us after what happened to his former teammate. His next contract is an albatross in waiting.
Count me out. I am not sure going after any UFA, Duchene included, is the optimal move. Several teams (Vegas, Toronto, Tampa, San Jose) are going to have to move salary. That could mean having a shot at a younger/more productive player. The Canes should have the same strategy this offseason as with the draft—focus on high reward options.

The worst-case scenario is icing a team with Niederreiter for a full season, Svechnikov with a year of experience, and two rookies who have been developing (say Necas and Kuokkanen). The best case is ending up with a player like Gourde or Labanc (my guess is teams find a way to keep the higher tier players like Connor and Meier).

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If last year is any indication we might not see much of anything happen until after July 1 hits. Last offseason no deals for NHL talent occurred between the Draft and UFA other than Sheary for a 4th. The only teams appearing to be desperate to move Cap space this year prior to UFA were Toronto and Carolina.

Vegas could feel like they can afford to wait despite being well over the Cap. Teams will miss out of their Free Agents and then come to Vegas looking for roster upgrades. Possible that the same could have been true for De Haan but Carolina wanted to move an injured piece while they had the chance.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2016
So looking at other teams cap situations.

Something is going to have to shake loose from the following teams:

- TML: if KK and Johnsson both get their projected 3-4 year deals that leaves about 7 million to sign Marner and 3 other guys (13th forward, roster D, and 7th D). Not nearly enough. Especially if they want to upgrade their D. I am guessing that they are shipping out Nylander as soon as his bonus is paid

- TBL: they have about 10 million in space and have to sign Point and 3 other top 12 forwards. Maybe something big does not have to come off, but something will have to give

- VGK: They are already well over the cap, even when factoring in LTIR.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That absolute ****show of a thread on the trade board about Aho is still ongoing. It's amazing how some schmuck can pull something out of his ass and so many people act like it's filet mignon.
as long as its about the good ol boys from Canada ripping on the rednecks from the south, they eat that shit up like candy

its truly impressive how many times its been debunked only to continue seeing the same idiots ostriching themselves into the ground to avoid it

Dec 30, 2013
So looking at other teams cap situations.

Something is going to have to shake loose from the following teams:

- TML: if KK and Johnsson both get their projected 3-4 year deals that leaves about 7 million to sign Marner and 3 other guys (13th forward, roster D, and 7th D). Not nearly enough. Especially if they want to upgrade their D. I am guessing that they are shipping out Nylander as soon as his bonus is paid

You have to add Horton's cap hit to their remaining space due to LTIR. Still not a great position to be in but it is not impossible.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I'm started to get a bit impatient for July 1st to roll around. Hopefully we get our coveted legit top 6 forward (I'd prefer a center man over a winger though) through some means. I wonder if we will resign Mrazek or sign a UFA goalie as our starter.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Nobody actually expects Nino to repeat his performance from last season... right?

He's a .5 PPG player career, mostly playing with guys like Staal, Granlund, Coyle, Koivu etc. Good players but not necessarily on Aho's level. If he stayed tied to Aho's wing I think 25 goals, 45-50 points is a reasonable expectation. Do I expect 60-65 points? No.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
31 Thoughts: Could short-term deals break RFA stalemates? - Sportsnet.ca

Canes notes from Friedman today:
15. The goalie carousel: San Jose would like to move Aaron Dell, who has a $1.9 million cap hit and $1.6 million in cash. It’s believed the Sharks tried to make it part of the Patrick Marleau trade, which complicated things for an extra 12 hours or so. Mike Smith’s been tied to Calgary (along with Cam Talbot), Carolina and Edmonton. There been a bit of linkage with the Oilers: Petr Mrazek; Semyon Varlamov, too, but his price is high. Heard some talk of James Reimer, but that’s cooled. Curtis McElhinney was hoping for a two-year deal, and may get it.

Looks like SJ was possibly open to moving Aaron Dell for Marleau (likely @50%). Canes are linked to Mike Smith again.

...Jesse Puljujarvi’s preference is to resume his NHL career outside of Canada; someplace a little quieter. Boston, Carolina and Tampa Bay are among the possibilities.

Puljujarvi is as high-upside as an acquisition gets. I don't think he needs to specifically play with Aho to succeed. Many reports I saw said that communication was an issue with Puljujarvi, just having Aho/TT/Finns on the roster to explain what Rod wants in Finnish could get him on the right track. I can see a scenario where an 18 year old kid who goes to the struggling Oilers and can't comprehend his coaching very well, stunting his growth.

Maybe it ends with a bust but Puljujarvi has Necas/Suzuki level skill. If he pans out it would be a great gamble in exchange for a lesser forward prospect or 2020 2nd.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
as of now

?- aho- teravainen
niederreiter- staal- svechnikov
mcginn- wallmark- necas
foegele- martinook- maenalanen

marleau maybe stays here, maybe not. williams may return, may retire. if mckegg doesn't return, roy/bishop could contend for 4th line spot. prospects that could fight in the camp for spot (other than bishop/roy) - kuokk, gauthier and probably luostarinen.

slavin- hamilton
pesce- faulk
bean/fleury-tvr
then you have at the camp forsling, mckeown and probably sellgren

Reactions: Unsustainable

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If we are involved with SJ for Marleau. Hopefully its Marleau at 50%, Forsberg, Kuokkanen and a 2021 conditional 2nd for Dell and Labanc.

Condition being we re-sign Dell.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
as of now

?- aho- teravainen
niederreiter- staal- svechnikov
mcginn- wallmark- necas
foegele- martinook- maenalanen

marleau maybe stays here, maybe not. williams may return, may retire. if mckegg doesn't return, roy/bishop could contend for 4th line spot. prospects that could fight in the camp for spot (other than bishop/roy) - kuokk, gauthier and probably luostarinen.

slavin- hamilton
pesce- faulk
bean/fleury-tvr
then you have at the camp forsling, mckeown and probably sellgren
I don’t think that there is any chance Marleau stays here. In the NHL.com article, he specifically says he’s leaving Toronto to get his family back to California.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad