All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 6 - let the waiting game commence

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
i think vegas is going to want someone to take a bad contract and accept gusev as the return for it. i don't think they want any part of trying to sign him.

That's the thing, they really don't have any bad contracts, they're just stupid deep. They may be slightly overpaying a few guys, but $3.85 for Eakin and $2.75 for Haula, both with one year left, are not horribad contracts. It would actually be easier for them to get out from under a really bad contract by buying it out. As it is, they just have a lot of good players making fair salaries.

Panarin and Bread

Same guy, but we get it.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Gusev might be the most exciting piece that the Canes could acquire from Vegas - assuming they talk with him and could sign him. His KHL stats are every bit as good as Panarin or Radulov before they jumped/returned to the NHL. 65 assists in 62 games last year as a right shot playmaker.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
But isn't that one of the possibilities for Bobrovsky? Seems like that doesn't open options the same way if Bobrovsky ends up in Florida as we assumed he might.

The point is that FL is one suitor for those guys. Rumor has it that Reimer is on the block. So one of Mac or Mrazek could either be a #2 or a back up plan.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
For him to be bought out, it would have to be someone we can sign before July 1st, so only our UFAs would be signable at this point.

You can't officially sign ufas yet, but you can reach an agreement in principle. That's the most immediate reason i can think of as to why Gold can't publicly report it.

I guess it could be they signed Forsberg or Ned so they can buyout Darling, if so, thanks Gold for getting me fired up over nothing. :laugh:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
You can't officially sign ufas yet, but you can reach an agreement in principle. That's the most immediate reason i can think of as to why Gold can't publicly report it.

I guess it could be they signed Forsberg or Ned so they can buyout Darling, if so, thanks Gold for getting me fired up over nothing. :laugh:
We can sign our UFAs. So if we signed Mrazek, we'd have enough goalies under contract to buyout Darling. But if we reached an agreement in principle with Bob or Lehner, that would be great, but not allow us to get rid of Darling.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'm any case if it is true and Adam Gold knows it then the rest of us should find out soon. We live in a "first to report" culture, secrets don't stay secrets long.

My guess would be that Aho is done and the signing will be this weekend at Summerfest

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

We can sign our UFAs. So if we signed Mrazek, we'd have enough goalies under contract to buyout Darling. But if we reached an agreement in principle with Bob or Lehner, that would be great, but not allow us to get rid of Darling.

Actually, and I realize I'm being pedantic and naive here, but you're technically not allowed to discuss contract terms with a UFA until July 1. The open discussion period is just for mutual expressions of interest. It would be *technically* illegal to reach an "agreement in principle" with any UFAs but our own as of right now.

If it is tied to Darling being bought out then it stands to reason it would be either Mrazek, McE, or Forsberg. As one of them would have to be added to enact a buyout.

C'mon, let's not pretend being able to buy out Darling isn't the best news so far this offseason. Not having to see his name without scrolling to the bottom of CapFriendly is going to make my day.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Maybe this ends the nonsense.

Judging by Waddells comments the term is the hold up we want 8 they want 5

Canes might do $9.5 million x 8 years. For 5 years and an initial ask of $9.5 million from Aho's camp I wouldn't be surprised if the Canes actually did counter with $6 million x 5 years. Meeting in the middle at ~$7.5-8 million x 5 years.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Actually, and I realize I'm being pedantic and naive here, but you're technically not allowed to discuss contract terms with a UFA until July 1. The open discussion period is just for mutual expressions of interest. It would be *technically* illegal to reach an "agreement in principle" with any UFAs but our own as of right now.

The CBA Exhibit 15 just says that you can't "sign". We don't know what the non-public NHL bylaws have to say about it. Presumably the one about tampering has something to say about it.

At the same time NHL doesn't acknowledge oral agreements, as the only accepted form of employment agreement is the written SPC, so any such oral agreement would be null and void and unenforceable in the eyes of the NHL so technically they have already dealt with it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
With Luongo's retirement, that puts one more team in the hunt for a goalie. Mrazek just got a little more attractive and so did Mac.

It's going to be Bob& Monty for Florida.

Luongo has never been the plan for Florida to be the guy anymore.

Canes might do $9.5 million x 8 years. For 5 years and an initial ask of $9.5 million from Aho's camp I wouldn't be surprised if the Canes actually did counter with $6 million x 5 years. Meeting in the middle at ~$7.5-8 million x 5 years.

I really don't think Aho is the guy who asks the max, he's going to be polite& loyal but how is that number fair?

Matthews just signed for 11.65M at 5 years, Aho went ppg as a similar aged C, now let's take away the hype& potential's for Matthews and for 5 years 9.5M is absolutely fair for Aho.
You are asking him to take 4M less than Matthews per year.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Yikes at that ask.

Dubas not only screwed himself, but also did it to everyone else. The Matthews contract destroyed all prior comparables.

It was a creep. McDavid and Eichel contracts destroyed the idea that a superstar RFA signing a more-or-less lifetime deal with their team (8 years) should take any RFA discount.

Dubas and Matthews then destroyed the idea that it even had to be a lifetime deal. So now both the RFA discount AND UFA years were devalued. That's a jackpot for a 21 year old who can now cash in huge at 21 and THEN get a lifetime "prime years" deal at 26-27.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It was a creep. McDavid and Eichel contracts destroyed the idea that a superstar RFA signing a more-or-less lifetime deal with their team (8 years) should take any RFA discount.

Dubas and Matthews then destroyed the idea that it even had to be a lifetime deal. So now both the RFA discount AND UFA years were devalued. That's a jackpot for a 21 year old who can now cash in huge at 21 and THEN get a lifetime "prime years" deal at 26-27.

And the thing is, there is NO reason they shouldn’t be able to cash in like that. Other than being arbitrarily drafted into a wage suppression system of course.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014

At the same time, these are the names that sell the jerseys.

... I wonder if they would sell me a "Dubas 11.6" one.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

McDavid was the best player to come out of entry level since Malkin. If you look at the % of the cap he took, it is a discount in the context of that Malkin extension.

Dubas paid Matthews like Malkin. The problem is that Matthews is closer as a player to Kane, if 5 years, and Eichel, if 8 years.

To me, that contract is isolated from the Draisaitl overpay (relative to Tarasenko) and the effect of that deal on the Eichel contract. Dubas messed up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad