All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 6 - let the waiting game commence

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I wonder if there's any chance for Granlund/Arvidsson? I know that Turris is obvious candidate to be moved from Preds but... Coyotes also have a lot of players as of now.

Keller- Stepan- Schmaltz
Fisher- Galch- Dvorak
Garland- Soderberg- Hinostroza
Crouse- Richardson- Grabner
Archibald, Cousins

Reactions: Unsustainable

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
I wonder if there's any chance for Granlund/Arvidsson? I know that Turris is obvious candidate to be moved from Preds but... Coyotes also have a lot of players as of now.

Keller- Stepan- Schmaltz
Fisher- Galch- Dvorak
Garland- Soderberg- Hinostroza
Crouse- Richardson- Grabner
Archibald, Cousins
Reportedly Granlund was traded from Minny because he would expect a raise they weren't comfortable with. He's signed for $5.75M AAV for 19-20. Can be extended July 1st.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If Williams isnt back, I hope we get someone else.

If he is, I guess we’re done with forwards.

Edit: we have 22 million in cap space

Aho costs us 9
Mrazek 4.5
Forsberg .9
McGinn 2
Fleury 1.25

Leaves us with 5.35 million in space. Buying out Darling could get 2.9 mil more in space.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If that’s the only add for the forwards I am disappoint. I like the move, but we were thoroughly outclassed in the last series and had we faced a better team in the second round we would’ve been out then.

It’s not enough to count on growth of the youngsters. The loss of Ferland is offset for production by Haula hopefully but none of the grit.

Losing Ferland and Dehaan is a strong step back to our previous status as maybe the softest team in the league. Forsling has no physical presence and that’s not Haula’s thing. In that department these moves lead us a bit back to Francis territory where we were so desperate to add skill it had to take precedence over size and strength.

We can still make the playoffs like that, but without some of that thump in the rump we will get easily thrown around if we get in. Makes the last month or two of the regular season also difficult as everyone buckles down.

This is a side issue to some extent, but we were all very happy to be a bit tougher this past season.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2016
If that’s the only add for the forwards I am disappoint. I like the move, but we were thoroughly outclassed in the last series and had we faced a better team in the second round we would’ve been out then.

It’s not enough to count on growth of the youngsters. The loss of Ferland is offset for production by Haula hopefully but none of the grit.

Losing Ferland and Dehaan is a strong step back to our previous status as maybe the softest team in the league. Forsling has no physical presence and that’s not Haula’s thing. In that department these moves lead us a bit back to Francis territory where we were so desperate to add skill it had to take precedence over size and strength.

We can still make the playoffs like that, but without some of that thump in the rump we will get easily thrown around if we get in. Makes the last month or two of the regular season also difficult as everyone buckles down.

This is a side issue to some extent, but we were all very happy to be a bit tougher this past season.
I really have a hard time thinking we are done - Since the off season the Canes have been in on 15% (5 of 33) of all trades in the league. This is now a team that wheels and deals for better or worse

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I really have a hard time thinking we are done - Since the off season the Canes have been in on 15% (5 of 33) of all trades in the league. This is now a team that wheels and deals for better or worse
We’re not good enough to stand pat, if the new regime is about climbing and climbing now then we should have another move outside of goaltending to go.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think we'll have one more move in us for a forward. Another trade like this, or a signing of a player in the 2nd or 3rd tier of free agency. With us being a young team potentially on the rise, I could see us snagging a solid UFA addition just because we make that player our top priority while they are a fallback plan for the big teams. That might be a way to end up with a Dzingel or Donskoi. Because we may only have that one move left (not counting Williams, cause they'll make him fit no matter what whenever he decides), I wouldn't take on Puljujarvi unless we move out a player or two from the bottom of the lineup. He'd need to be another addition along with this bigger forward add.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
We’re not good enough to stand pat, if the new regime is about climbing and climbing now then we should have another move outside of goaltending to go.

I agree that Haula, in and of itself, is an underwhelming move. But it's June 27, and not a single big RFA has signed, let alone UFAs. As players get signed, teams are going to have to make corresponding moves, and Carolina is still set up well to catch a player who comes available as a result of other moves. What we've seen so far is only the tip of the iceberg.

I mean, think about it, Vegas made a cap dump sending us Haula for Roy. Roy's a nice player, but that deal doesn't happen if Vegas isn't over the cap. And they're *still* $6 million over the cap with a key RFA to sign.

There's lots more to come, and I'm still expecting a big trade that involves a key player on our side, plus pick/prospect, plus cap relief, for a much better player.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
I agree that Haula, in and of itself, is an underwhelming move. But it's June 27, and not a single big RFA has signed, let alone UFAs. As players get signed, teams are going to have to make corresponding moves, and Carolina is still set up well to catch a player who comes available as a result of other moves. What we've seen so far is only the tip of the iceberg.

I mean, think about it, Vegas made a cap dump sending us Haula for Roy. Roy's a nice player, but that deal doesn't happen if Vegas isn't over the cap. And they're *still* $6 million over the cap with a key RFA to sign.

There's lots more to come, and I'm still expecting a big trade that involves a key player on our side, plus pick/prospect, plus cap relief, for a much better player.
I could still see a trade for Ehlers happening. As did Haula, it just makes sense.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think we'll have one more move in us for a forward. Another trade like this, or a signing of a player in the 2nd or 3rd tier of free agency. With us being a young team potentially on the rise, I could see us snagging a solid UFA addition just because we make that player our top priority while they are a fallback plan for the big teams. That might be a way to end up with a Dzingel or Donskoi. Because we may only have that one move left (not counting Williams, cause they'll make him fit no matter what whenever he decides), I wouldn't take on Puljujarvi unless we move out a player or two from the bottom of the lineup. He'd need to be another addition along with this bigger forward add.

Maybe something like McGinn or Wallmark for Puljujarvi, according to the tweet from a few days ago that said EDM was looking for a 3rd line F. I don’t really think Puljujarvi is worth either of those guys tho. I like Wallmark as the 4th C now who can move up in a pinch and McGinn is the definition of a glue guy who can move up and down the lineup. Both of those players have proven that they are valuable bottom 6 guys at the very least. Puljujarvi has proven nothing and really just has the potential that got him drafted so high in 2016.

I’d be ok with a prospect swap of Kuokkanen or the like for Puljujarvi, but I worry where he would fit since he’s longer waiver eligible. I’m not on board with a trade of Gauthier for Puljujarvi due to Gauthier’s steady upward improvement, his seemingly good attitude at developing in the minors and the fact that Gauthier is also still waiver exempt for 1 more year. So if he’s not ready this coming season, he gets 1 more season in charlotte to develop. Puljujarvi either gets a spot or he’s lost to waivers.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2016
Agree that Pulj should not be the final addition. Just seems that if the price is right he could be analyzed by the Borg to be worth the risk.

I see the other addition being from:
- TBL cap shed
- FLA cap shed (if they get Bread and Bob)
- mid level UFA (i.e. Donskoi, Panik etc.)
- I have a gut feeling Williams is retiring so an addition will be needed

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Reports suggested GMs may be holding a grudge over Vegas due to the expansion draft. I'm glad to hear that other GMs are taking themselves out of the running for cheap roster help. These types of offseason moves can come in pairs. If Vegas needs to move another piece once things settle out more then McPhee knows who to call.

I'm assuaged by the Haula addition. I'd guess the odds of a bigger move are 50/50. If Puljujarvi or Williams were the plan to round out the roster then I can live with that assuming one of Mrazek, Lehner, Varlamov, or Bobrovsky is signed in net (or a trade for a true #1)

Maybe something like McGinn or Wallmark for Puljujarvi, according to the tweet from a few days ago that said EDM was looking for a 3rd line F. I don’t really think Puljujarvi is worth either of those guys tho. I like Wallmark as the 4th C now who can move up in a pinch and McGinn is the definition of a glue guy who can move up and down the lineup. Both of those players have proven that they are valuable bottom 6 guys at the very least. Puljujarvi has proven nothing and really just has the potential that got him drafted so high in 2016.

I’d be ok with a prospect swap of Kuokkanen or the like for Puljujarvi, but I worry where he would fit since he’s longer waiver eligible. I’m not on board with a trade of Gauthier for Puljujarvi due to Gauthier’s steady upward improvement, his seemingly good attitude at developing in the minors and the fact that Gauthier is also still waiver exempt for 1 more year. So if he’s not ready this coming season, he gets 1 more season in charlotte to develop. Puljujarvi either gets a spot or he’s lost to waivers.

Wallmark makes $675k next year which I think will help his chances in sticking on the roster. Personally I'd take a $675k Wallmark 10/10 times over a $2-2.5 million Brock McGinn.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think Dzingel or Donskoi are logical and potentially likely guys the braintrust will reach out to.

Zucker would be great, but I’m not sure what they’d trade for him. He makes a bit over $5M for the next few years so you’d have to think they’d want to offset that with moving out another contract. By taking on almost $3M in Haula, there’s less to play with for additional guys. I’d think they’d be looking at guys like Donskoi or Dzingel for 4-5yr deals at ~$4-4.5M aav’s. After the CDH trade, there’s not really another guy on D you can afford to move (Faulk/Hamilton), unless they’re really sold on this Priskie kid they’ve been rumored to be trying to acquire or they have a new found confidence in 1 of Bean/Fleury/Forsling to make a step up and play 2nd pair with Pesce or who’s left over of Faulk/Hamilton.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Wallmark makes $675k next year which I think will help his chances in sticking on the roster. Personally I'd take a $675k Wallmark 10/10 times over a $2-2.5 million Brock McGinn.

Logical, and I’m sure that is an angle the braintrust will look at. McGinn at $2M is a little hard to stomach with all the guys still on ELCs in Charlotte chomping at the bit for a chance at the big club’s roster.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I wouldn't rule out another trade with Vegas. They HAD to clear some space before July 1st when their qualified RFAs go on the books as they were already at the 10% overage for the summer. They still have a lot of work to do to get under. We could still circle back for a bigger add.

Faulk for Miller + useful cap dump Forward making 3-4M?

Highly doubtful that’d happen, but that’d give CAR a 2nd pair RD signed for under $4M for the next few years plus another potential asset to use up front, while giving Vegas an upgrade on D. It also takes away the distraction of “will they or won’t they” sign Faulk to an extension...

Vegas also saves ~2M more in cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad