All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 6 - let the waiting game commence

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919

IMG_2548.JPG

Reactions: Unsustainable

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I kind of assumed we might look into him as the old vet in front of Ned similar to McElhinney as 1B to Mrazek or another goalie. He'd be easily cast aside if Ned earns it. Not a lot of great UFA goalie talent out there.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I prefer Talbot

Mrazek, Talbot, Halak, Varlamov, Ward, Lehner, Elliot and Kinkaid are all options I'd prefer to Mike Smith. Or trading for Reimer/Allen with the Panthers or Blues retaining.

If the Canes could get Florida to retain some money on Reimer ($3.1 million salary this year and next) then I like that option. Reimer is a decent goalie and the term/$$ is right.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I agree between the two. But it may be a matter of something like Talbot + Smith + Ned and see what sticks.

I think I like that more than Mrazek + Nedeljkovic, tbh. Leverage Nedeljkovic's waiver exemption to run a 30-30-20-type goalie rotation. Keep the older goalies fresh. Money is probably a wash. Avoid the extended term commitment.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I would never have guessed neither of our goalies would be back.

I was pretty sure Mac wouldn't be back, because I'm pretty sure we're trying to get him for one year and he wants a little stability. I'm a tiny bit surprised by Mrazek, but the way Dundon is running things, he's just not going to put loyalty ahead of value.

I don't mind Smith. My takeaway here is that the team really likes Ned and Kochetkov and doesn't want to get tied to any goalie for longer than 2-3 years. Oh, and I'll just leave this here:

upload_2019-6-24_16-46-48.png

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I still think there's no reason we shouldn't end up with Mac on a 2-year, $6 million type deal with Ned as the backup/1B. It's too perfect.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I still think there's no reason we shouldn't end up with Mac on a 2-year, $6 million type deal with Ned as the backup/1B. It's too perfect.

It would be "too perfect" to go into the season after a surprise ECF appearance with two goalies whose combined career high for NHL starts in a season is 34 games (McElhinney 33, Nedeljkovic 1, both last season).

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
I saw on the Oilers board that Bob Stauffer was speculating (?) on a Puljujarvi for Gauthier deal.

I'm looking for the audio right now.

Copy/pasta from the Oilers board...

STAUFFER: "Brenden Escott with perhaps a prophetic opening over the course of the next 3 days, what's the name of that song Brendan?"

ESCOTT: "Rock You Like a Hurricane"

STAUFFER: "Well we'll wait and see if we have something regarding a much discussed young Edmonton forward"

______________________________________________________________________________________

STAUFFER: "Logic dictates the teams interested in Puljujarvi probably have let the Oilers know at this stage, because they probably want to have things in place by July 1"

"Let's say you have a restricted free agent forward that's played roughly the same amount of games as Puljujarvi and you're thinking you know what, we think Puljujarvi has the higher upside than our guy, and our game is probably going to be required to pay 1.75-2.25M, and maybe we bring in Puljujarvi in and we just qualify him and he gets 10% on 925,000 base which would take him just over 1M...you're going to need to know that before you dip into free agency."

"Multiple teams are in on him, so if you're Edmonton, you're going well are we getting a guy back between that's between 2-2.5M, because that might take us out of the mix of potential mid-range free agents up front"

"Could Brett Connolly get 4M somewhere? He might. I'd have to talk to Gerry Johansson, but he might make sense at 3x3"

"Some names out there, assuming maybe a guy like Brett Ritchie doesn't get qualified out of Dallas, Daniel Carr, maybe those are guys you can get around 800K"

"You need to know what you're getting back. An argument can be made that it makes most sense for Edmonton is a guy who maybe has spent the last couple of seasons in the minors and is ready to take the next step. For the sake of argument, we've mentioned Julien Gauthier. Sebastian Aho is represented by Gerry Johansson, as is Brayden Point. My guess is Sebastian Aho thinks he can make Jesse Puljujarvi a player and if I was Tom Dundon I'd be willing to make that risk. So the Hurricanes would contemplate that."

"Would Tampa Bay do it? They have tons of second round and third round players contributing on their farm team. They need a younger cheaper guy. Maybe they look at him. People mention Pittsburgh possibly. To me the best place, if I was Markus Lehto, the place I'd be happiest for Jesse would be Carolina, so we'll wait and see. It's my belief it has to get done in the next 3-4 days if it gets done."

"Milan Lucic, don't know yet. Don't know what's going to transpire on that front"​

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't see many in meltdown mode, but I do see some that would be meh about it. I could see Smith being one of our options. But I do think we'll do what we can to have 2 goalies + Ned as Waddell has said he would like that setup (and that's what I'd like). And hey, I called Mrazek Meh-razek upon signing him last year and it worked out, so I'll try to be a little more understanding with whatever we do.

I don't think anything is a done deal at this point, including losing M&M. This could all just be due diligence for if we can't get them or other higher end options signed, and they'd be dumb if they weren't doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad