All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 6 - let the waiting game commence

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
This is the part that I think has been lost:

1) Carolina uses cap space to acquire a 1st with Marleau.
2) The cap number is released, lower than expected.
3) Carolina dumps de Haan's contract for little return.

It does make sense that they see an opportunity to capitalize again on another team with cap trouble, but needed space to do so.

Of course, last year we all thought there was an opportunity to utilize the D depth to acquire a forward, especially after signing de Haan , and that didn't happen. So we will see if they can complete the process this off-season after they failed to last off-season.

Maybe that's the case. But I still think we did the Marleau trade because we knew we had a landing spot for one of our d-men. I think the order in which the trades were made makes it look like de Haan was a reaction to the cap being lower, but if they had happened in the reverse order, it would be clear that de Haan moving was what made it OK for us to take on Marleau and get the first-rounder out of Toronto.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG
May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
So are they scrapping the plan to get this chase priskie kid. It sounded like they essentially had a deal on place but we're waiting for faulk to move.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Sounds like they are still pursuing Priskie, not scrapping the plan:

One of the facets to acquiring Priskie and actually signing him was, accordion to Sara Civ, that there’d be a spot for him. They still have the right side pretty crowded, even if the intention is to move Pesce over to LD.

I’m skeptical about then dealing Faulk now, but I was also of the mind theyd keep de Haan so what do I know. If they move Faulk for anything other than another top 4 D, they’re down to 3 proven top 4 guys, an injured 3rd pair guy and the hope than one of Fleury/Bean/Forsling/Priskie(?)is ready for 2nd pair duty with the other 2 fighting it out for 3rd pair duty. That’s a whole lot of ifs after the D was so strong last year.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If we get Priskie, is Priskie and Toronto’s 1st worth not being to afford, supposedly, CdH, Saarela, and taking on Marleau?

I don’t see this is as a net positive for us especially with it being a 17-31 pick. In reality it’s more like 22-31 pick.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
The optics of this trade doesn't look good, but I don't think it's necessarily bad after sleeping on it.

While CDH was a solid player, and class act that I commend for wanting to play here, this team won big games down the stretch to solidify a playoff spot, and beat the defending champions without him. With Pesce apparently playing his offside, this doesn't affect our top 4 really, even though it's not ideal. And he's going to a big market, and a team that'll probably be in contention again next year, so I don't think he'll be heartbroken about going to Chicago.

I never think this about a trade, but I feel like this trade is setting up for another trade. I could see us doing another trade with Toronto centered around Nylander and Zaitsev. And/or maybe not one of the bigger UFA's, but someone else is coming here.

Whatever

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The optics of this trade doesn't look good, but I don't think it's necessarily bad after sleeping on it.

While CDH was a solid player, and class act that I commend for wanting to play here, this team won big games down the stretch to solidify a playoff spot, and beat the defending champions without him. With Pesce apparently playing his offside, this doesn't affect our top 4 really, even though it's not ideal. And he's going to a big market, and a team that'll probably be in contention again next year, so I don't think he'll be heartbroken about going to Chicago.

I never think this about a trade, but I feel like this trade is setting up for another trade. I could see us doing another trade with Toronto centered around Nylander and Zaitsev. And/or maybe not one of the bigger UFA's, but someone else is coming here.

Whatever

I think we need to stop with the mindset that we need guys to play their 'hand' position on the wings or forwards. Brindy pretty much showed what our coaches and management think about this during his interview with Canes Country...

The whole right-left thing, I don’t know where that got — well, I know where it started, a few years ago it was a big deal — in the NHL you should be able to play either side, and the good players can. He can, so will he play there again? Probably.

Reactions: cptjeff

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I don't want to get into a whole debate about it. The person who should have the ultimate say-so on the issue is Pesce. If he's fine with it, cool. I don't know how sustainable it is though.

I think if anything, this opens the door for Bean/Fleury to finally have their chance.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2016
wonder if there is any chance the Canes are targeting Lee 1) to replace/ upgrade the offense lost from Ferland and 2) to replace that veteran presence if Williams leaves

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
With all this space we have even with Marleau and after Aho signs they have to have a forward VIA trade coming in and are either targeting a high tier FA(Duchene) or two middle tier FA's(Dzingel, Nyquist, Zuccarello)

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
wonder if there is any chance the Canes are targeting Lee 1) to replace/ upgrade the offense lost from Ferland and 2) to replace that veteran presence if Williams leaves
I hope not. The last time we had a run to the ECF only to be swept and then got rid of a good but not stellar defenseman while taking on players from a team we knocked out of the playoffs during that run... well we all saw what happened

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Deadline for RFA Qualifying Offers is today (at 5PM I believe)

Aho, Maenalanen, McGinn, Forsling, Flery, Nedeljkovic, Forsberg, McKeown, Carrick, Bishop, and Wesley all eligible to receive QO.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Is it just me or had the rfa qo deadline always been before the draft before rather than after?

Not recently at least:

2018: Draft 6/22-23, RFA QO due 6/25.
2017: Draft 6/23-24, RFA QO due 6/25.
2016: Draft 6/24-25, RFA QO due 6/27.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad