All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 6 - let the waiting game commence

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I don't think it's likely we end up with Duchene but I'd have to think that Aho Duchene and Staal would rocket us into the conversation for best group of centers in the league after spending all those years in conversation for worst. Definitely think Marchessault would be better bang for the buck though and that seems to be what the borg are all about

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
That's way over what he should get. If he gets that much from somebody, that's when the Canes need to fill from Charlotte. He made under $900k this year. A qualifying offer will most likely be what he gets, and they might try to negotiate a 2 year deal after that with a modest bump, but not to $2.5M.

My opinion only.

Was going by the $1 million per 10 points rule of thumb for forwards. He had 26 points this past season, 30 the previous season.

He's probably a luxury we can't afford at this point, unless they can do something with Aho's contract to move a chunk of cap to the last year of the deal - like the reverse of what the Nylander deal looked like. I don't know if that's possible though.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I just don’t think that Vegas will be stupid enough to deal away Marchessault when they have so many other tradeable assets and little in the way of bad, immovable contracts. Smith, Eakin, Haula, Colin Miller are simply better players to move than a Marchessault, who has an excellent value contract for what he does.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
Leafs still aren't out of cap hell and their defense still sucks. Anyone think possibly there's a handshake deal in place that Leafs send Nylander our way July 2nd after his bonus is paid out? I mean out of all the scouting these two teams did, I just can't help wonder that this is the final deal between the two.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
All the rumors point to Faulk (or Hamilton) being on the way out

1) Rumor that Faulk is being shopped
2) Priskie Rumor (would only sign is RHD spot opens up)
3) Duchene Rumor (Would need the cap space if we are making a play at Duchene) *or for that matter any other big UFA*

On the other hand if history has taught us anything Faulk will have all the rumors supporting that he will be traded, but will not be traded.

If he goes what's his value?
Would TVR be available in a trade?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Leafs still aren't out of cap hell and their defense still sucks. Anyone think possibly there's a handshake deal in place that Leafs send Nylander our way July 2nd after his bonus is paid out? I mean out of all the scouting these two teams did, I just can't help wonder that this is the final deal between the two.

Don't know about handshake, but I'm sure they've discussed such a deal after 7/1.

The question is whether Carolina would give up Pesce (hope not) and whether Toronto would accept less than Pesce (doubt it.)

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I think TVR is worth more to the Canes as an own rental due to his injury. I could even see him resigned to a short-term deal in a year or so considering that all of the Canes’ D prospect depth is on the left side, unless they deem McKeown ready and he isn’t picked off waivers.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

Currently Johnsson and Kapanen are supposedly close on deals of $3.4m and $3.2m, respectively.

That leaves $6.9m of cap space, and they still don't have Marner under contract after that, and they only have 5 NHL defensemen under contract with Hainsey and Gardiner both being UFA.

I think you're right, they're going to have to trade somebody and Nylander is the one that makes the most sense, unless they can somehow unload Zaitsev - but even that only gives you just enough money to sign Marner and a rookie minimum contract d-man, and that's only a 20 man roster.

Holy hell they are ****ed

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

Please sign that contract with a Metropolitan team not named the Carolina Hurricanes. If he really gets $8M a year, that's freaking absurd, and will be a contract laughed at for years to come.

Looks like the Tweet isn't loading. But Tyler Myers is supposedly expected to get a 6-7 year deal in the 7-8 million range per season.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

Please sign that contract with a Metropolitan team not named the Carolina Hurricanes. If he really gets $8M a year, that's freaking absurd, and will be a contract laughed at for years to come.

Looks like the Tweet isn't loading. But Tyler Myers is supposedly expected to get a 6-7 year deal in the 7-8 million range per season.

I could see that contract happening with certain teams (cough Canucks cough Oilers cough)

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC

I’ve been thinking the same thing. With our lack of reported interest in players we could use, I would have to think something is up DW’s sleeves.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
You underestimate NHL GM's then.

That contract obliterates recent UFA comparables (Niskanen, Sekera, Goligoski, etc.) GMs will just look at the trade market in that case; there's a solid chance that someone pops up with the 2020 UFA class being heavy on RD (Schultz, Barrie, Spurgeon, Faulk, Hamonic, Brodie).

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

1552106805023.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad