All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 6 - let the waiting game commence

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I love how the Marleau thread on the MB has devolved into Canadians claiming other people who were born in Canada are lying that they were born there because they don't spell COLOR "correctly".
It’s only that one poster and he/she posts nonsense on the main board all the time.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
It would be "too perfect" to go into the season after a surprise ECF appearance with two goalies whose combined career high for NHL starts in a season is 34 games (McElhinney 33, Nedeljkovic 1, both last season).

It’s no worse than going into a season with two reclamation projects who were the worst starting goalies the previous season and a journeyman backup whose only track record of real success was in the AHL.

This is why I keep saying the sooner we can get Ned in the NHL playing significant minutes, the sooner our goalie situation will have some actual long term stability.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Mcginn’s rights for Puljujarvi’s rights. Edmonton needs NHL quality forwards and McGinn is a former 2nd round pick and will get more opportunities in Edmonton. Canes take a flyer on a guy that should cost less and may thrive, but may bust.

RBA won’t like it. Oilers fans will hate it.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Mcginn’s rights for Puljujarvi’s rights. Edmonton needs NHL quality forwards and McGinn is a former 2nd round pick and will get more opportunities in Edmonton. Canes take a flyer on a guy that should cost less and may thrive, but may bust.

RBA won’t like it. Oilers fans will hate it.
I'd much rather that that Gauthier, and I'm still not Goat's biggest fan (though he's slowly winning me over). I really think that would be a good deal for Edmonton if they are willing to cut bait on JP because you know pretty well what to expect from McGinn. That said, I'm not gung ho for JP either, but I'd take the risk knowing we have guys in the minors that can take over if/when he flames out.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Eh...I’m not the biggest fan of a Gauthier for Puljujarvi trade, but it makes sense I guess. I’d rather trade a guy like Saarela or, a complete 180 for me from earlier opinions, Kuokkanen. I’d not be a fan of McGinn for Puljujarvi, although I get the logic. McGinn is very useful, heart and soul bottom 6 guy, good for ~30pts. Puljujarvi has or had all the talent in the world and may well reach that or just flame out. If they trade for him, I don’t think he’s worth a useful roster player.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I remember wanting Poolparty something serious so he could play on Aho's line. I never would have guessed that he would have flopped so hard. Last year during one of Edmonton's games against us, I noted that he was invisible on the ice. How can someone that big not make an impact?

I just don't think he fits what we are trying to build here.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Eh...I’m not the biggest fan of a Gauthier for Puljujarvi trade, but it makes sense I guess. I’d rather trade a guy like Saarela or, a complete 180 for me from earlier opinions, Kuokkanen. I’d not be a fan of McGinn for Puljujarvi, although I get the logic. McGinn is very useful, heart and soul bottom 6 guy, good for ~30pts. Puljujarvi has or had all the talent in the world and may well reach that or just flame out. If they trade for him, I don’t think he’s worth a useful roster player.

I wouldn't deal any of the waiver-exempt forwards for Puljujarvi, and according to CapFriendly all 3 of Gauthier, Kuoakkanen, and Saarela are still waiver exempt next year.

Maybe one who would have to go through waivers like Puljujarvi. A pending RFA like Carrick, maybe I'd consider trading. But Puljujarvi has no guaranteed spot and isn't worth guaranteeing a spot yet.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think McGinn is the better player by a solid margin. I don’t really want poolparty at all.

McGinn has a grit and toughness we are going to really lack without Ferland. I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Seems like we love the guy.
Oh, no doubt McGinn is better right now, and if Pulj never figures it out, he always will be.

I tossed that out in as more of a what-if response to all the posts about McGinn possibly pricing himself out. Rod loves McGinn though and I’d bet he is on the roster next year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
so, just looking right now:

Nino - Aho - Turbo
Svech - Staal - xxxx
Foegele - Wallmark - Necas
Martinook - xxxx - McGinn

Slavin - Hamilton
Pesce - Faulk
Fleury/Bean - TVR
Forsling

xxxx - Forsberg - Ned

I don't for a second think we're going to spend to the cap next year, but we have room to add another quality forward, a starting goalie, and likely bring Williams back on a bonus heavy one-year deal and be somewhere still around 75M even after signing Aho. We're currently at 56.8

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
so, just looking right now:

Nino - Aho - Turbo
Svech - Staal - xxxx
Foegele - Wallmark - Necas
Martinook - xxxx - McGinn

Slavin - Hamilton
Pesce - Faulk
Fleury/Bean - TVR
Forsling

xxxx - Forsberg - Ned

I don't for a second think we're going to spend to the cap next year, but we have room to add another quality forward, a starting goalie, and likely bring Williams back on a bonus heavy one-year deal and be somewhere still around 75M even after signing Aho. We're currently at 56.8

Sad thing is that roster is worse than last years.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Depends heavily on the goalie.

Can't say that Mike Smith + Anton Forsberg + Alex Nedeljkovic is a better group than Mrazek + McElhinney
Agreed there. Need to either retain Mrazek or bring in Lehner if we're going to be on par with last season in net.

I'm still intrigued by the idea of bringing in Quick if LA's really moving on from him

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Sad thing is that roster is worse than last years.

is it though? can't say I agree especially if the add is another center. Only thing notably worse is the 3rd pair. Goal is still up in the air.

I think we're ignoring the fact that Svech, Aho, Necas, Foegele, Wallmark, and even Teravainen are all on the upswing of their careers. The names are the same, but we're better just by being a year older.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
Nino Aho TT
Svech Wallmark Necas
Foegele Staal mcGinn
Martinhook Bishop/Roy Geekie/Goat/whoever

Slavin Hamilton
Pesce Faulk
Fleury/Forsling TVR

Forsberg
Ned

Brings us to around 53, 54 mil in salary without Aho or McGinn signed. So that's 64, 65 million, maybe 2,3,4 for goalie/Mrazek and you call it a day. A sub-70 million dollar roster!

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
IMO, something is going to shake loose this summer. With the cap coming in so low, teams are in legit trouble. Hell, Toronto dumped Marleau and they're *still* not out of the woods. Even if we don't directly sign a UFA, and even if we don't offer sheet anyone, the teams that do are going to have to move some players they don't want to move.

And the Canes are perfectly set up to pounce. We've got picks, prospects, cap space, and cash coming out our ears and every team knows it. We're going to have our pick of 3-4 big moves in the next two weeks or so.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
IMO, something is going to shake loose this summer. With the cap coming in so low, teams are in legit trouble. Hell, Toronto dumped Marleau and they're *still* not out of the woods. Even if we don't directly sign a UFA, and even if we don't offer sheet anyone, the teams that do are going to have to move some players they don't want to move.

And the Canes are perfectly set up to pounce. We've got picks, prospects, cap space, and cash coming out our ears and every team knows it. We're going to have our pick of 3-4 big moves in the next two weeks or so.

This is the part that I think has been lost:

1) Carolina uses cap space to acquire a 1st with Marleau.
2) The cap number is released, lower than expected.
3) Carolina dumps de Haan's contract for little return.

It does make sense that they see an opportunity to capitalize again on another team with cap trouble, but needed space to do so.

Of course, last year we all thought there was an opportunity to utilize the D depth to acquire a forward, especially after signing de Haan , and that didn't happen. So we will see if they can complete the process this off-season after they failed to last off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad