All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 6 - let the waiting game commence

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Everything I've read suggests that Aho wants a shorter deal, but the Canes want a max term deal and that is part of the holdup in the contract. I doubt they'd go for a bridge deal.

For all the garbage the Kypreos rumor took (understandably), it wouldn't shock me if the actual offer was something like "8 years OR $6M per on a bridge." Carolina doesn't want the bridge at all, so if Aho wants short term he'd need to walk away from a lot of money the next couple of years to make it worth Carolina's risk.

If the choice is Aho signed short term + Duchene or Aho signed long term plus a cheap forward addition? Give me Aho signed long term.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2016
All the rumors point to Faulk (or Hamilton) being on the way out

1) Rumor that Faulk is being shopped
2) Priskie Rumor (would only sign is RHD spot opens up)
3) Duchene Rumor (Would need the cap space if we are making a play at Duchene) *or for that matter any other big UFA*

On the other hand if history has taught us anything Faulk will have all the rumors supporting that he will be traded, but will not be traded.

If he goes what's his value?

Reactions: Unsustainable

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
McGinn $2.5 million (assuming we think he's worth keeping around)

That's way over what he should get. If he gets that much from somebody, that's when the Canes need to fill from Charlotte. He made under $900k this year. A qualifying offer will most likely be what he gets, and they might try to negotiate a 2 year deal after that with a modest bump, but not to $2.5M.

My opinion only.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
This is an interesting analysis on all the free agents. Claims the asking price of Duchene 9M will be a hard contract for him to live up to.
By the numbers: Evaluating the 2019 free agency class

Projects Justin Williams getting $6 million x 3 years. Woof.
Compare that to Donskoi who is projected to get $2.8 million x 3 years.

Jake Gardiner expected to get $6.7 million x 7 years. I'd guess that is about what Justin Faulk wants as well.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2016
That's way over what he should get. If he gets that much from somebody, that's when the Canes need to fill from Charlotte. He made under $900k this year. A qualifying offer will most likely be what he gets, and they might try to negotiate a 2 year deal after that with a modest bump, but not to $2.5M.

My opinion only.

They have 8 forwards signed for next year counting Marleau - so really 7. So they need to add 6 (including a 13th forward) Aho is a lock to be there so 5. I think Necas and Maenalanen will get spots, but other than that anything could happen.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
This is an interesting analysis on all the free agents. Claims the asking price of Duchene 9M will be a hard contract for him to live up to.
By the numbers: Evaluating the 2019 free agency class
Also had this to say about Mrazek. Seems the team already got the memo.
Back in 2015, it seemed like Petr Mrazek was going to be one of the game’s top starters, posting stellar numbers for Detroit, but his career derailed a bit in the following two seasons. In 2016 and 2017, he was as bad as he was good the two years prior. The Hurricanes took a gamble with his acquisition last summer, but it paid off as he posted a positive season above expected and was the key to their elite stretch drive.
With goalies being so volatile, I’m not sure Mrazek’s decent 40 games last season were enough to cement him as a legitimate starter though. My model still projects him to post a save percentage slightly below expected. Any contract with significant term would be risky.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com

My opinion only.
i really doubt that. he had 26 and 30 points the last two seasons and a good playoffs, and is arbitration eligible. that's not ~1m territory. something in the 2-2.5 range is probably what he'll get it.

martinook got 2m/yr (although the contract bought out one ufa year). can't see mcginn getting half that.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Marchessault would be a DREAM for us. He's so good.
Contract is right for us. Handedness is right for us. Position is right for us. Current team in cap trouble is right for us. Yeah, he'd be fantastic.

Edit to add: And to take this thought one step further, if he is available due to Vegas' cap situation and it came down to Marchessault or Willy....see ya Willy. Thanks for the memories.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014

My opinion only.
In the bracket of $660k - $1M the QO needs to be 105 percent of the previous salary.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
i really doubt that. he had 26 and 30 points the last two seasons and a good playoffs, and is arbitration eligible. that's not ~1m territory. something in the 2-2.5 range is probably what he'll get it.

martinook got 2m/yr (although the contract bought out one ufa year). can't see mcginn getting half that.

I think he’s earned exactly what Martinook got. Slightly better stats, less position flexibility.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think he’s earned exactly what Martinook got. Slightly better stats, less position flexibility.

He may have earned it. There is just a legitimate question of whether it is worth paying Brock $2 million or whether the Canes should leave that spot open for one of Loustarinen, Bishop, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Mattheos, Geekie, Saarela, Roy, Maenalanen, etc. who will all make less than $1 million.

Martinook already taking that $$/role might hurt McGinn's chances.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
He may have earned it. There is just a legitimate question of whether it is worth paying Brock $2 million or whether the Canes should leave that spot open for one of Loustarinen, Bishop, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Mattheos, Geekie, Saarela, Roy, Maenalanen, etc. who will all make less than $1 million.

Martinook already taking that $$/role might hurt McGinn's chances.
Marleau took McGinn's money. If the rumors are true that Duchene is meeting with the team, then they must be willing to let mid-tier UFAs and RFAs go and fill from Charlotte to make the money work.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
It would be cool if the Canes manage to steal Duchene from under everyone's noses. My guess, though, is that Duchene will sign with Nashville or Columbus. Canes will get someone good in the trade market from some cap-strapped team, I'm pretty sure now.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
It would be cool if the Canes manage to steal Duchene from under everyone's noses. My guess, though, is that Duchene will sign with Nashville or Columbus. Canes will get someone good in the trade market from some cap-strapped team, I'm pretty sure now.
I'd much rather get Marchessault @ $5M x 5 then whatever Duchene is going to get.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Not that I care that much for McGinn but he brings a lot of grit, play the body all the time, kills penalties. We could use him even though we have Marty, Foegs and probably Saku.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad