Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
That's it right there

Nate Schmidt was a known. Kovacevic was an unknown. What if he was worse? Then what? They had nobody else to plug on the right side, so it's another trip to the waiver wire for Chevy. The whole point of acquiring Dillon and Schmidt was to avoid that
Sorry what's the difference between an underperformed Schmidt playing his offside and moving samberg or heinola to their offside...? His proven commodity was that he sucked in vancouver

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Sorry what's the difference between an underperformed Schmidt playing his offside and moving samberg or heinola to their offside...? His proven commodity was that he sucked in vancouver
Ask Chevy

Wasn't my decision

Plus, they could have been even worse. Known vs unknown

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah it's human nature to pay a little bit extra for a known quantity over taking a risk on a bigger payoff.

Poolman basically drowned getting bumped into big mins and the Jets went put to get a proven commodity. I got it at the time.

I just hope moving forward we make a more concreted effort to give our young guys we develop a shot.

It seemed like that wasn't going to be the case with Monahan/Henrique and Dillon being pursued. Hopefully those guys choosing elsewhere turns out to be a blessing in disguise for Lambert, Chibby, Heinola/Stanley

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's it right there

Nate Schmidt was a known. Kovacevic was an unknown. What if he was worse? Then what? They had nobody else to plug on the right side, so it's another trip to the waiver wire for Chevy. The whole point of acquiring Dillon and Schmidt was to avoid that

Nate Schmidt was a known but not a good one. Kovacevic was not unknown. He had been drafted in 2017. He was going into D+5. He was unproven at the NHL level, so yes it would have been a risk. So was committing 6 mil in cap space to Schmidt.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Kovacevic is better than Hedman so the Jets really f***ed up there given homegrown, youth etc.
At least they got Miller who is in the same tier as Hedman.

Reactions: Buffdog

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Kovacevic is better than Hedman so the Jets really f***ed up there given homegrown, youth etc.

Haha (you would think it reading about Kov here by some), personally I don't care about players on the bottom pairing or 4th line, their just warm bodies on most teams and very replaceable. I understand why the Jets stuck with the vet Schmidt over Kov, but not everyone will, personally I don't care about Kov but that's me. People can feel how ever they like I guess.

As they say only in Canadian cities do fans spend weeks debating backup goalies, 4th line players and bottom pairing D. All three have so a tiny impact on a team who cares, of the one who is the most important IMO its the backup goalie, certainly not bottom pairing D or 4th line plugs.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Haha (you would think it reading about Kov here by some), personally I don't care about players on the bottom pairing or 4th line, their just warm bodies on most teams and very replaceable. I understand why the Jets stuck with the vet Schmidt over Kov, but not everyone will, personally I don't care about Kov but that's me. People can feel how ever they like I guess.

As they say only in Canadian cities do fans spend weeks debating backup goalies, 4th line players and bottom pairing D. All three have so a tiny impact on a team who cares, of the one who is the most important IMO its the backup goalie, certainly not bottom pairing D or 4th line plugs.
What's so funny? There's a chart posted that says so. Better than Theodore, and Pulock too.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
What's so funny? There's a chart posted that says so. Better than Theodore, and Pulock too.

Fans get hyper focused on very minor facts constantly, I look at context and the bigger picture from a management POV, likely bc of my career. People will say but Hunter Sch had a 6 mil cap hit yeh I know, I would sooner he didn't but when the Jets got him Kov wasn't as developed as he is now so they made a decision to get a vet who had a higher cap hit cheap via trade to fill a vet role, bottom pairing role, some PP, some top 4 role occasionally and is great in the locker room which was a big plus at the time. In the end they bought his last year out, Jets lost Kov who is 6-7 D man who literally just got traded for a 4th rd pick only showing how little value he has around the NHL, 4th rd pick was the best offer the Habs could get and big part of that 4th rd pick value is due to Kov low cap hit not bc skill he has.

When posters argue page after page about a 6-7 D man, its going to be a long summer. I'm far more focused on the Jets top 4 D and top 9 forwards and coaching, thats where the Jets are going to make hay.....or not this season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ask Chevy

Wasn't my decision

Plus, they could have been even worse. Known vs unknown

Or could have been better. Known vs unknown.

Ridiculous.
We are talking #6 Dmen here and 750k vs 5.95 mil.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Exactly!
So why pay 5.95 mil for one?
It is the contract here that was the problem - and we're still paying for it.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Fans get hyper focused on very minor facts constantly, I look at context and the bigger picture from a management POV, likely bc of my career. People will say but Hunter Sch had a 6 mil cap hit yeh I know, I would sooner he didn't but when the Jets got him Kov wasn't as developed as he is now so they made a decision to get a vet who had a higher cap hit cheap via trade to fill a vet role, bottom pairing role, some PP, some top 4 role occasionally and is great in the locker room which was a big plus at the time. In the end they bought his last year out, Jets lost Kov who is 6-7 D man who literally just got traded for a 4th rd pick only showing how little value he has around the NHL, 4th rd pick was the best offer the Habs could get and big part of that 4th rd pick value is due to Kov low cap hit not bc skill he has.

When posters argue page after page about a 6-7 D man, its going to be a long summer. I'm far more focused on the Jets top 4 D and top 9 forwards and coaching, thats where the Jets are going to make hay.....or not this season.
Cool. That has nothing to do with my post.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah it would be nice if you could take a list like that and dump them into buckets based off ice time.

I don't think anybody thinks that's what that chart implies. Just some evidence he is solid in 3rd pair role.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Sure, but cap space is a premium and we also have Chipman arguing about ticket sales and finances. Getting a 6th dmen at going rate would have atleast saved Chevy's boss about $19 million if they couldn't find somewhere else to use it.

Anyhow you are right that the bottom pairing won't make or break the team but filling the spot with a cost controlled asset means more cap to allocate to more important positions.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
100% - lundmark from what I hear is not nhl ready... but I would be pissed if we lose him because of the fleury and coghlan signings...

Contrary to @Buffdog Revisionist posting ;)...
Fans were upset that we threw away a good prospect without ever giving him a shot - not that kova was rhe second coming but him and Chisholm filled needs in our lineup and we chose lesser options as their replacements

Letting another right shot slip away doesn't seem like a good plan in the current nhl
I'm OK with those guys leaving. They aren't that good. They weren't better than what we had or what we have. They are what waiver wires are for, giving these guys a chance to play on garbage teams. Look at what they get paid, that says it all.

The hand wringing over waiver wire players on this forum is bizarre.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Sure, but cap space is a premium and we also have Chipman arguing about ticket sales and finances. Getting a 6th dmen at going rate would have atleast saved Chevy's boss about $19 million if they couldn't find somewhere else to use it.

Anyhow you are right that the bottom pairing won't make or break the team but filling the spot with a cost controlled asset means more cap to allocate to more important positions.

As I stated I get the cap side of the debate, but people are using hindsight in their posts which Chevy at the time of trading for Sch didn't have. Chevy traded for him when the Jets had a need, Sch filled multi roles and was cheap to get, albeit his cap hit was high for what he delivered. Just like when determining a new contract its balance of term vs cap hit. In this case Chevy weighted to cost to trade to fill a need vs the cap hit, keeping in mind Kov wasn't ready to play a bottom pairing role. Plus Chevy commitment to vet players that the Jets are in win now mode, those promises are serious to vet players. Sch filled a need, big plus in the locker room (when there was lots negative comments about the locker room), he filled roles between #4D to bottom pairing D and played on the PP at times.

What I don't get when a person sees all that, why spend hours posting on a very minor role, that could easily be explained why a decision was made. Why not spend time debate top 9 forwards and top 4 D roles for this upcoming season. Look forward not behind, especially on a very close or difficult decision.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
@surixon

Do we extend Ehlers this summer, wait till next season or trade him? For what if traded? How do we replace his production? I would love to see a bit more grit and compete in our top 6 forwards, but someone who can still scores and play with skilled players.

Who is playing in our top 4 D, especially on RHD? Pionk is better suited at this stage as a bottom pairing puck mover, not unlike Sch played, maybe used on PP at times.

2C center role, who is playing this? Cole? Thats a big step, not sure yet if he can do it, we shall see.

What do we target trading Rutger for? I suspect either pick/prospect coming back just bc hes a prospect himself and unproven, maybe a older guy on his last year of his deal before UFA, trade Rutger for a guy like that who fills a big top 6 role and we know we can extend him. Ex: Konecny type of player or slightly less, might not be Konecny specifically bc I saw a rumor he wants 10 million each year on his new deal.

Who is Ehlers traded for if he is traded? Extended and traded?

I'm curious how the new coaching staff will use the players, what new systems they will have, players usage, etc.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
@surixon

Do we extend Ehlers this summer, wait till next season or trade him? For what if traded? How do we replace his production? I would love to see a bit more grit and compete in our top 6 forwards, but someone who can still scores and play with skilled players.

Who is playing in our top 4 D, especially on RHD? Pionk is better suited at this stage as a bottom pairing puck mover, not unlike Sch played, maybe used on PP at times.

2C center role, who is playing this? Cole? Thats a big step, not sure yet if he can do it, we shall see.

What do we target trading Rutger for? I suspect either pick/prospect coming back just bc hes a prospect himself and unproven, maybe a older guy on his last year of his deal before UFA, trade Rutger for a guy like that who fills a big top 6 role and we know we can extend him. Ex: Konecny type of player or slightly less, might not be Konecny specifically bc I saw a rumor he wants 10 million each year on his new deal.

I'm curious how the new coaching staff wi

I read where he wanted 9m. I like Konecny but 9m is way too much.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
@surixon

I'm curious how the new coaching staff will use the players, what new systems they will have, players usage, etc.

All very good questions.

I think McGroarty is the easiest to answer as the org had a couple of near deals at the draft for picks in the low teens. My guess is Chevy has switched to targeting similar caliber prospects.

Ehlers is harder to answer. Chevy is probably looking for a hockey deal ala PLD. I imagine if he was looking for a futures deal it would have happened at the draft. I'd also wager he has a lot of pressure from Chipman to put a similar caliber team on the ice hence not looking for a future deal. At this point it would be very hard to replace him unless a Necas was coming back the other way. Not sure how serious either party is about an extension. I personally don't see the long term fit for either side.

I agree about adding some other dimensions to the top 6. I think we need a speedy puck pursuit player that plays with jam given our forechecking scheme. No idea who out there and is available that would fit that.

I'd really like to know what the orgs plan is for 2C. Clearly option 1 was to retain Monohan but that fell through. Do they bite the bullet and live with the growing pains of a Perfetti or do they do as they usually do and go the conservative route and use Namestnikov there. I'd go with youth and upside but it isn't a path the org has opted to go lately.

My overall thoughts is that due to the org being rebuffed in FA it has opened the option for a transition year. We have some young players banging at the door like Lambert and Ville and some others like Snerg and Cole who should be placed in larger roles. Maybe the best thing for the org is to get these kids acclimatized even if there is a minor step back.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
All very good questions.

I think McGroarty is the easiest to answer as the org had a couple of near deals at the draft for picks in the low teens. My guess is Chevy has switched to targeting similar caliber prospects. Yeh I suspect that also, he will return prospects/picks. I just hope those prospects fill needs in the future and work out, not to say Rutger will work out 100% either. IMO many team could fill this need if they want/like Rutger.

Ehlers is harder to answer. Chevy is probably looking for a hockey deal ala PLD. I imagine if he was looking for a futures deal it would have happened at the draft. I'd also wager he has a lot of pressure from Chipman to put a similar caliber team on the ice hence not looking for a future deal. At this point it would be very hard to replace him unless a Necas was coming back the other way. Not sure how serious either party is about an extension. I personally don't see the long term fit for either side. Yeh I expect the return will be a hockey trade, mostly bc the Jets are clearly a playoff team and all teams who are playoff teams want to make the playoffs and not rebuild. I could see him returning a winger or RHD, the quality depends on many factors including age & contract.

I agree about adding some other dimensions to the top 6. I think we need a speedy puck pursuit player that plays with jam given our forechecking scheme. No idea who out there and is available that would fit that. I often have felt we have too much skill in our top 6 and need more compete, grit and sand paper, while not having someone with stone hands. Jets play better with fire in their belly and not just trying to score lots of goals using pretty passing plays.

I'd really like to know what the orgs plan is for 2C. Clearly option 1 was to retain Monohan but that fell through. Do they bite the bullet and live with the growing pains of a Perfetti or do they do as they usually do and go the conservative route and use Namestnikov there. I'd go with youth and upside but it isn't a path the org has opted to go lately. I suspect the interest in Monahan shows how few top 6 cetners are available or what the cost to get them are, bc I can't imagine anyone wanting Monahan as a top 6 C on a playoff team. I'm happy he didn't sign here, he was crap in the playoffs.

My overall thoughts is that due to the org being rebuffed in FA it has opened the option for a transition year. We have some young players banging at the door like Lambert and Ville and some others like Snerg and Cole who should be placed in larger roles. Maybe the best thing for the org is to get these kids acclimatized even if there is a minor step back. Agreed, I think the 2C situation and RHD situation are leading the Jets to introduce young players which will lead to many problems as they learn, I suspect the Jets won't do as well this year in the standings due to the youth movement and developing them.......but that's part of sports and on all teams at stages. Will be fun to see the kids grow into their roles, even if it means not winning as many games.

See bolded above

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm OK with those guys leaving. They aren't that good. They weren't better than what we had or what we have. They are what waiver wires are for, giving these guys a chance to play on garbage teams. Look at what they get paid, that says it all.

100 % agree and I will add that once a player is waiver eligible no longer should they be seen as prospects since most are now at least D+6. They are now boarder line players in their mid 20’s.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

We can revisit this when we lose heinola on waivers this year haha

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Don't understand the rhetoric about Chevy acquiring Schmidt as a bottom pairing guy - he was pencilled into the top pairing with Josh and had a long look there to start the year.

I doubt it ever came down to Kova vs Schmidt

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
If Heinola flops in camp and there is no spot for him he will get traded. Guys only get waived when no one will give you anything for them.
You know I read all your posts in Sheldon's voice... it makes the content easier to stomach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad