Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Note that Arniel coached the D last season, and the Jets selected the Stanley-Samberg pair until Stanley played himself into the press box with penalties. It suggests to me that Arniel is a fan of Stanley, and not as keen on Schmidt or Heinola.
I suggest that it was more than penalties that sent Stanley to the press box. I have been hoping for a breakout year by Stanley for several years and, now at age 26, he hasn't delivered. Sure, he has improved in some areas but his foot speed and reaction time is just too slow for this level, IMO. I'm not holding my breath waiting for him to come around and I hope that the HC's opinion of Stanley isn't that high.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
It will be interesting to see what the Jets do with their cap space this summer. First questions surround how much cap space they'll have. I won't be surprised if they buy Schmidt out. I also wonder if they might consider trading Iafallo, considering he's making 4M and was down to 4th line usage in the playoffs. Of course, an Ehlers trade would be a big variable.

My guess is that the Jets would prioritize DeMelo and Monahan over Dillon. Remember that Arniel ran the Jets' D, and decided to start with a Stanley-Samberg pair. That suggests that he's a supporter of Stanley, and might consider moving Samberg over to RD. That might mean that the Jets won't break the bank to sign Dillon, especially if they see Heinola as a LD.
I’m curious to see if the Jets will prioritize size and/or skating ability on the back end after this playoffs.

* Morrissey- smaller sized, great skating, excellent offensive player

* DeMelo- smaller sized, average skating, good 2-way player

* Samberg- larger sized, great skating, vg defensive player

* Pionk- smaller sized, below avg skating, below avg 2-way player, physical

* Dillon- larger sized, good skating, decent defensive player, physical

* Schmidt- smaller sized, good skating, below avg offensive player

* Stanley- larger sized, below avg skater, lousy defensive player, physical

* Heinola- smaller sized, good skating, good offensive player in AHL.

* Salomonsson- larger sized, great skating, vg 2-way dman in SHL, physical

Jets seem like big, good skating, physical dmen over smaller dmen, but their roster is full of smaller, avg to below average 2-way guys. Salomonsson seems to fit the bill of what they like the most in a dman, a la Trouba, if he can transition his stellar 2-way SHL game to the NHL.

But if you’re smaller, you need to be a point producer (Morrissey), physical (Pionk), or solid 2-way (DeMelo) player to contribute. Heinola will need to move the puck well and continue to improve his 2-way game, though he seems to be more Schmidt, than Morrissey at this stage of his career.

While Schmidt doesn’t do anything well enough, and isn’t large enough, to be valuable, Heinola might be able to be more DeMelo-like and stick around. Stanley is only large, and physical but offers very little otherwise, and has a knack of taking bad penalties at inopportune times. But Jets keep him around and may extend him because he is large. Dillon’s age is working against him. If he was 29 or 30, I’m sure the Jets would be prioritizing him.

In my ideal lineup…

Keepers:

Morrissey
Samberg
Salomonsson

Would like to keep:

Heinola
DeMelo

Would like to add:

Pulock (trade)
Edmundson (FA)

Guys that can walk or be traded:

Pionk (replaced by Pulock)
Schmidt (replaced by Heinola)
Stanley (replaced by Salomonsson)
Dillon (replaced by Edmundson)

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pulock
Edmundson-Heinola/Salomonsson

A realistic d lineup that could rival any playoff team’s d-core.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
heinola would have been on the team if he had not been injured during training camp, I really don't think we have enough info to say who arneil does and does not like, schmidt played 65 games + 3 playoffs and stanley only played 25 games + 3 in the playoffs, schmidt started game 1 but was benched after he iced the puck in the final min of the game leading to calgary taking the lead
I mean we can clearly say he doesn't like Miller, Chisholm or Kovacevic haha

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I’m curious to see if the Jets will prioritize size and/or skating ability on the back end after this playoffs.

* Morrissey- smaller sized, great skating, excellent offensive player

* DeMelo- smaller sized, average skating, good 2-way player

* Samberg- larger sized, great skating, vg defensive player

* Pionk- smaller sized, below avg skating, below avg 2-way player, physical

* Dillon- larger sized, good skating, decent defensive player, physical

* Schmidt- smaller sized, good skating, below avg offensive player

* Stanley- larger sized, below avg skater, lousy defensive player, physical

* Heinola- smaller sized, good skating, good offensive player in AHL.

* Salomonsson- larger sized, great skating, vg 2-way dman in SHL, physical

Jets seem like big, good skating, physical dmen over smaller dmen, but their roster is full of smaller, avg to below average 2-way guys. Salomonsson seems to fit the bill of what they like the most in a dman, a la Trouba, if he can transition his stellar 2-way SHL game to the NHL.

But if you’re smaller, you need to be a point producer (Morrissey), physical (Pionk), or solid 2-way (DeMelo) player to contribute. Heinola will need to move the puck well and continue to improve his 2-way game, though he seems to be more Schmidt, than Morrissey at this stage of his career.

While Schmidt doesn’t do anything well enough, and isn’t large enough, to be valuable, Heinola might be able to be more DeMelo-like and stick around. Stanley is only large, and physical but offers very little otherwise, and has a knack of taking bad penalties at inopportune times. But Jets keep him around and may extend him because he is large. Dillon’s age is working against him. If he was 29 or 30, I’m sure the Jets would be prioritizing him.

In my ideal lineup…

Keepers:

Morrissey
Samberg
Salomonsson

Would like to keep:

Heinola
DeMelo

Would like to add:

Pulock (trade)
Edmundson (FA)

Guys that can walk or be traded:

Pionk (replaced by Pulock)
Schmidt (replaced by Heinola)
Stanley (replaced by Salomonsson)
Dillon (replaced by Edmundson)

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pulock
Edmundson-Heinola/Salomonsson

A realistic d lineup that could rival any playoff team’s d-core.
Edmundsson is done... and Pulock doesn't shoot which is what Bones/Arniel system relies on

I'd rather re-sign Dillon for 2-3 years than take Pulock's 7 year contract

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
heinola would have been on the team if he had not been injured during training camp, I really don't think we have enough info to say who arneil does and does not like, schmidt played 65 games + 3 playoffs and stanley only played 25 games + 3 in the playoffs, schmidt started game 1 but was benched after he iced the puck in the final min of the game leading to calgary taking the lead
I feel that this often gets put out there as fact when it's not. Bones may have said he was likely going to be on the opening day roster, but let's be real. He's played 35 NHL games to date. He may have played a game or two this past season, or he may have played 82. We don't know. But what we do know is that he was never put back into the lineup after he was medically cleared and up to speed. It's probably fair to say that Arniel / Bones had a preference for Stanley.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I feel that this often gets put out there as fact when it's not. Bones may have said he was likely going to be on the opening day roster, but let's be real. He's played 35 NHL games to date. He may have played a game or two this past season, or he may have played 82. We don't know. But what we do know is that he was never put back into the lineup after he was medically cleared and up to speed. It's probably fair to say that Arniel / Bones had a preference for Stanley.
so being in the opening day roster is not making the team? if he continued playing the way he did in preseason he would have stayed in the lineup if he didn't he would have been sent down, and also it took him a while to get up to speed with the moose after he returned to the lineup and at that point we were one of the best defensive teams in hockey so there was really no opportunity to get him in the line up, stanley played the 7th most games for dman this year, don't think it's fair to say at all the they preferred stanley as more then that

demelo/pionk 82 games
morrissey 81 games
samberg 78 games
dillon 77 games
schmidt 63 games
stanley 25 games

Reactions: TS Quint

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
No, no, no. Do you date old girlfriends/boyfriends. Move on
Comrie played well in his last stop in Winnipeg. Gets along well with Helle. Flaherty has a track record with reclamation projects. Turns 29 years old next month. And he’ll be cheap. I dunno… it doesn’t seem crazy IMO to at least be considered an option.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Buffalo, New Jersey, Leafs, Pens, Flyers, Utah, Seattle, etc... teams will remember how he looked in the playoffs before the injury and look at his stats this season

They're not gonna pay more than $3m. What's your price tag on Brossoit then?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
so being in the opening day roster is not making the team? if he continued playing the way he did in preseason he would have stayed in the lineup if he didn't he would have been sent down, and also it took him a while to get up to speed with the moose after he returned to the lineup and at that point we were one of the best defensive teams in hockey so there was really no opportunity to get him in the line up, stanley played the 7th most games for dman this year, don't think it's fair to say at all the they preferred stanley as more then that

demelo/pionk 82 games
morrissey 81 games
samberg 78 games
dillon 77 games
schmidt 63 games
stanley 25 games
I think it's a bit hard to guess how Arniel will go with the D, but the fact is that for the most important games (playoffs) against a very fast and skilled opponent the Jets benched a healthy Schmidt, and moved Samberg over to his off-side to make room for Stanley on LD. Heinola never got a minute with the Jets, late in the season or in the playoffs. Maybe that was Bowness' call, but I would think that Arniel had a role in the decision-making. It would be good if some of the local media had asked more pointed questions of Arniel and Bowness about their roster decisions in the playoffs (including on D, and the decision to bench Perfetti, etc.).

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I think it's a bit hard to guess how Arniel will go with the D, but the fact is that for the most important games (playoffs) against a very fast and skilled opponent the Jets benched a healthy Schmidt, and moved Samberg over to his off-side to make room for Stanley on LD. Heinola never got a minute with the Jets, late in the season or in the playoffs. Maybe that was Bowness' call, but I would think that Arniel had a role in the decision-making. It would be good if some of the local media had asked more pointed questions of Arniel and Bowness about their roster decisions in the playoffs (including on D, and the decision to bench Perfetti, etc.).
he started the playoffs over schmidt but they went back to schmidt in game 3, he came back in after the dillon injury for one game and then they took him out over schmidt and put miller in

stanleys toi in his 3 games: 10:48, 9:37, 9:33
schmidts toi in his 3 games: 13:30, 15:30, 16:37

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Sir, this is Winnipeg.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
he started the playoffs over schmidt but they went back to schmidt in game 3, he came back in after the dillon injury for one game and then they took him out over schmidt and put miller in

stanleys toi in his 3 games: 10:48, 9:37, 9:33
schmidts toi in his 3 games: 13:30, 15:30, 16:37
I know how they used their D, but the bottom line is that they started Stanley, and moved Samberg over to RD to make the room. That's a pretty strong indicator of how they saw their depth chart heading into the playoffs. The fact that Stanley struggled and took penalties to the extent that they had to replace him is another issue.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Lindholm is likely going to get paid a ridiculous contract in FA. Sometimes it's a good thing we aren't a top FA destination because that contract is probably going to be a gross overpay.
Maybe, or he'll be the next in line to overvalue their worth heading into FA and be left with a greatly reduced contract.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I know how they used their D, but the bottom line is that they started Stanley, and moved Samberg over to RD to make the room. That's a pretty strong indicator of how they saw their depth chart heading into the playoffs. The fact that Stanley struggled and took penalties to the extent that they had to replace him is another issue.
I think the only conclusion we can actually come to is they had 5 preferred d and the 6 was up for grabs, they may have preferred stanley to start the playoffs but overall they clearly preferred schmidt over stanley with him playing more than 3+ mins per game in the playoffs, stanley being taken out for miller in the elimination game and schmidt playing more than double the amount of games in the regular season

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the only conclusion we can actually come to is they had 5 preferred d and the 6 was up for grabs, they may have preferred stanley to start the playoffs but overall they clearly preferred schmidt over stanley with him playing more than 3+ mins per game in the playoffs, stanley being taken out for miller in the elimination game and schmidt playing more than double the amount of games in the regular season
I disagree. Jets' decision to play Stanley for the first 2 playoff games showed that they slotted him above Schmidt to start the playoffs. They switched because Stanley struggled and the Jets were getting manhandled. In particular, the Stanley- Samberg pair struggled badly, in the first two games, which is why they switched to Schmidt.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In a perfect world we'd never lose players to attrition, but it does happen. I think you have to budget for it.

I think years of service have to be in the consideration as to whether we got good value for the asset (the pick to secure Ehlers). Considering picks often flop we can't feel too bad about the departure if we don't get some really good asset(s) back.

I could see Ehlers being a good guy and doing a sign and trade though that's not common in this day and age

Yes, of course that is true. It applies to Dillon, though I think they should try to keep him. I don't think you can look at Ehlers that way. But if he won't extend then you have to get the best value for him that you can. I don't expect us to win that trade, or break even. I hope to come close to break even though.

It seems to me there have been more sign and trades, or trade and signs in the last couple of year than there had been for quite a few years before. The PLD signing might be scaring teams away from that right now.

The problem with an Ehlers sign and trade is that he might be looking at an opportunity to show that he is worth more than he has been able to show so far. So maybe the acquiring team won't be willing to pay what he thinks he is worth until they see him on their team.

The best value for Ehlers might come from a team that has a player in a similar situation. But then we risk losing the new player to UFA in a year.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I disagree. Jets' decision to play Stanley for the first 2 playoff games showed that they slotted him above Schmidt to start the playoffs. They switched because Stanley struggled and the Jets were getting manhandled. In particular, the Stanley- Samberg pair struggled badly, in the first two games, which is why they switched to Schmidt.
but couldn't the exact same argument be made about why schmidt was taken out in the first place? I think you are putting way too much stock into stanley starting the playoffs and not looking at the overall picture, schmidt played more than double the regular season games, had more toi in the playoffs and wasn't taken out for miller in the elimination game, overall I think the jets would have preferred someone else as our #6 but looking at everything I think it's clear that they liked schmidt more than stanley, I guess were going to have to agree to disagree on this

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
but couldn't the exact same argument be made about why schmidt was taken out in the first place? I think you are putting way too much stock into stanley starting the playoffs and not looking at the overall picture, schmidt played more than double the regular season games, had more toi in the playoffs and wasn't taken out for miller in the elimination game, overall I think the jets would have preferred someone else as our #6 but looking at everything I think it's clear that they liked schmidt more than stanley, I guess were going to have to agree to disagree on this
What's the argument for not giving Miller a look at all.... his stats in NJ were substantially better than Stan or Schmidt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad