Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I can't deny that Ehlers fails to go to the tough spaces in the PO. I just can't see it being simple fear since that doesn't seem to be the case in the regular season. IDK what the explanation is though.

There is also trading from strength to fill a weakness. But there are not a lot of teams who can spare a top 4 RHD to get offence. There is always the possibility though.

If we lose Ehlers for futures and Dillon for nothing we are a much weaker team than last year. Add to that some other potential negatives and it is not a pretty picture. Lose Brossoit. Maybe lose DeMelo. Maybe tie ourselves to Monahan for too much, too long. Or go into another season without a 2C. Also not good.

Hope Chevy can pull a rabbit out of his hat because we are going to need it.
In a perfect world we'd never lose players to attrition, but it does happen. I think you have to budget for it.

I think years of service have to be in the consideration as to whether we got good value for the asset (the pick to secure Ehlers). Considering picks often flop we can't feel too bad about the departure if we don't get some really good asset(s) back.

I could see Ehlers being a good guy and doing a sign and trade though that's not common in this day and age

Reactions: ps241 and Buffdog

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
We’ve got Adam Boqvist available, though. Smaller and kind of soft and always injured, but held his own on the first pair with Z just fine when he was healthy. Just getting squeezed out here.

You know the same as we do about Laine. Won’t be any updates til he’s cleared. His girlfriend posted a new puppy selfie with him earlier this month showing him with his arm in a sling, and Waddell did confirm he had some cleanup surgery. He’s in Florida right now, training and being with Barkov as usual.

(Dillon is my ideal FA signing this year for Columbus. What do you guys think he’ll get on the market? At 35 he shouldn’t be chasing the bag as much, right?)
Boqvist probably not the best fit as we try to break in small and soft Ville Heinola.

I think Dillon might get 2 x $4.5m or 3 x $4.2m somewhere.

I think we're running Morrissey, Samberg and Heinola down the left. The right is a mess at the moment with only Pionk under contract and maybe worth a spot. Elias Salomonsson looked great for the Swedish champs and could force his way in. Schmidt will be a caddy in the PB if his last year is not bought out.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
In a perfect world we'd never lose players to attrition, but it does happen. I think you have to budget for it.

I think years of service have to be in the consideration as to whether we got good value for the asset (the pick to secure Ehlers). Considering picks often flop we can't feel too bad about the departure if we don't get some really good asset(s) back.

I could see Ehlers being a good guy and doing a sign and trade though that's not common in this day and age
There was no shortage of informal 'sign and trade' this year... I think Hanifin had a deal in place

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
At 35 he shouldn’t be chasing the bag as much, right?)

I think Dillon might get 2 x $4.5m or 3 x $4.2m somewhere.

I think we're running Morrissey, Samberg and Heinola down the left. The right is a mess at the moment with only Pionk under contract and maybe worth a spot. Elias Salomonsson looked great for the Swedish champs and could force his way in. Schmidt will be a caddy in the PB if his last year is not bought out.
I'd offer Dillon 3 x 3.25m.
In three years, he might be playing the 3rd pairing but I'd hate to lose his size and meanness on the blue line.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i wouldn't be surprised with the Jets signing a low-term LHD, whether it be Dillon or someone else. id be a bit hesitant go into next year with one of heinola or stanley being everyday NHLers along with Samberg in basically an inaugural season in a top-4 role. i am also not fully sold, and don't know if the team is, him in a consistent top-4 role yet especially when you start getting into the POs. IMO he's had the biggest drop off in play the last 2 post seasons.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
i wouldn't be surprised with the Jets signing a low-term LHD, whether it be Dillon or someone else. id be a bit hesitant go into next year with one of heinola or stanley being everyday NHLers along with Samberg in basically an inaugural season in a top-4 role. i am also not fully sold, and don't know if the team is, him in a consistent top-4 role yet especially when you start getting into the POs. IMO he's had the biggest drop off in play the last 2 post seasons.
You're saying he had the biggest drop in play because pionk and Stan already sucked?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Elliotte Friedman saying on his 32 thoughts Podcast Sunday that Brendan Dillon will go to free agency. Friedman also said it appears to be a very good market if you are a Defenseman, they are going to get paid.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Smaberg so good for so long this season too. Then sorta came apart at the seams

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
You're saying he had the biggest drop in play because pionk and Stan already sucked?

id say last 2 PO runs he was close to their levels of suck when he's usually pretty good in his 3rd pair role. imo even in the regular season, his play w/ the puck can be a bit inconsistent, & idk if it was the intensity, speed, of the POs, or garbage partner (ie: Stanley) but it got glorified even more. not saying he can't fully be a top-4 Dman eventually, but just not sure if it happens with consistency next year and maybe the Jets want some vet presence for some insurance.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It will be interesting to see what the Jets do with their cap space this summer. First questions surround how much cap space they'll have. I won't be surprised if they buy Schmidt out. I also wonder if they might consider trading Iafallo, considering he's making 4M and was down to 4th line usage in the playoffs. Of course, an Ehlers trade would be a big variable.

My guess is that the Jets would prioritize DeMelo and Monahan over Dillon. Remember that Arniel ran the Jets' D, and decided to start with a Stanley-Samberg pair. That suggests that he's a supporter of Stanley, and might consider moving Samberg over to RD. That might mean that the Jets won't break the bank to sign Dillon, especially if they see Heinola as a LD.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
DeSmith might be the only good backup left, I think it's pretty slim pickings this year. Reimer? Jones? Not sure who else we could get for cheap.
I know Comrie had a down year in Buffalo. But is he an option? Perhaps being back with Flaherty and Helle would do well for him.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
id say last 2 PO runs he was close to their levels of suck when he's usually pretty good in his 3rd pair role. imo even in the regular season, his play w/ the puck can be a bit inconsistent, & idk if it was the intensity, speed, of the POs, or garbage partner (ie: Stanley) but it got glorified even more. not saying he can't fully be a top-4 Dman eventually, but just not sure if it happens with consistency next year and maybe the Jets want some vet presence for some insurance.
Pretty hard to blame a guy who was moved to this off-side for the first time JUST as the playoffs were starting...

I'm personally fine with Samberg as our second pairing - even if he's still playing on his off-side from the start of the season with Dillon, just get him experience with hard match ups early in the season

Just want the team to move on from forcing Stan into the lineup and playing Pionk in our top 4

Pionk or Schmidt buyout covers the cost of Perfetti's raise or buyout both and you cover Dillon's ask
DeMelo at 5 years x 4.5-5m - I just don't see how you offer him less after the garbage contract that Pionk was awarded for one good season
top pairing RHD - either one of these guys is going to cost $$$ - I think Dillon gets 3-4 years from someone at $6m and 1 RHD likely costs 7+ Jets only have that space if they trade Ehlers
Its so crazy we threw away Chisholm and Kova... we need those league min contracts now

Colin Miller was our best shot at an upgrade imo... I don't see any UFA that will pick the Jets and the trade market is hyper competitive for RHD

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There is going to be a lot of teams over paying for players this off season

Freidman was mentioning the guys that are going to cash in are the D men and the "depth forwards that can play multiple places in your line up, and play that kind of heavy hockey playoff game....Dakota Joshua is the poster child, but also the likes of Jordan Martinook, Stefan Noesen, William Carrier." Freidman has heard there is a big demand for that "type"

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
That's pretty shocking if he's only going to get $3m... fire the agent

Freidman was mentioning the guys that are going to cash in are the D men and the "depth forwards that can play multiple places in your line up, and play that kind of heavy hockey playoff game....Dakota Joshua is the poster child, but also the likes of Jordan Martinook, Stefan Noesen, William Carrier." Freidman has heard there is a big demand for that "type"
Trade Iafallo and Kupari...!!

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That's pretty shocking if he's only going to get $3m... fire the agent

Trade Iafallo and Kupari...!!

Iafallo seems to fit that mold so it would be interesting to see if there would be a market. He's going into the last year of his deal so we might get more at the trade deadline but who knows.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
If Dillon isn't re-signed, expect to see a lot more of Logan Stanley. I don't think Heinola will get a regular spot unless he blows everyone away in training camp.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
What team is going to pay over $3m for a goalie that hasn't played more than 24 games in a season who's also 31 years old?
Buffalo, New Jersey, Leafs, Pens, Flyers, Utah, Seattle, etc... teams will remember how he looked in the playoffs before the injury and look at his stats this season

If Dillon isn't re-signed, expect to see a lot more of Logan Stanley. I don't think Heinola will get a regular spot unless he blows everyone away in training camp.
Let's start looking at the 2025 draft board then...

Reactions: 10Ducky10

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think an Iafallo trade at this point would be mainly to gain cap space.

He is a useful asset for an organization that is in a win now mode like TNSE but his cap space is temping if its needed for a specific plan.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Note that Arniel coached the D last season, and the Jets selected the Stanley-Samberg pair until Stanley played himself into the press box with penalties. It suggests to me that Arniel is a fan of Stanley, and not as keen on Schmidt or Heinola.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Note that Arniel coached the D last season, and the Jets selected the Stanley-Samberg pair until Stanley played himself into the press box with penalties. It suggests to me that Arniel is a fan of Stanley, and not as keen on Schmidt or Heinola.
heinola would have been on the team if he had not been injured during training camp, I really don't think we have enough info to say who arneil does and does not like, schmidt played 65 games + 3 playoffs and stanley only played 25 games + 3 in the playoffs, schmidt started game 1 but was benched after he iced the puck in the final min of the game leading to calgary taking the lead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad