Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The Canes have a number of good forward prospects / young players. They might not be A-level, but a prospect like Blake or a young player like Drury could be of interest to the Jets. For the Jets, it will be about getting overall value, even if it doesn't replace Ehlers directly and immediately.
I don't see any point in bringing these B-tier prospects in, because if we're sticking with our system from years past, none of those prospects are making it any further than the third line, and even that's a stretch with so many depth forwards under contract. And if you're getting a Drury to play fourth line, why are we mentioning Ehlers in the same sentence?

I agree with the premise of replacing any player in the aggregate, but that won't work in our current system - unless we get some Vilardi-type that Chevy and Arniel consider immediately suitable for the top 6. And even then, replacing Ehlers requires elite talent, not depth.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't see any point in bringing these B-tier prospects in, because if we're sticking with our system from years past, none of those prospects are making it any further than the third line, and even that's a stretch with so many depth forwards under contract. And if you're getting a Drury to play fourth line, why are we mentioning Ehlers in the same sentence?

I agree with the premise of replacing any player in the aggregate, but that won't work in our current system - unless we get some Vilardi-type that Chevy and Arniel consider immediately suitable for the top 6. And even then, replacing Ehlers requires elite talent, not depth.
The hope is that one of the young players / prospects "pops" and becomes a strong contributor. In the short term, if an equivalent player isn't available to replace Ehlers, a prospect or young player can add value while opening up cap space to fill holes (e.g. on D). Of course, you always hope the draft pick gets you a top player like Hintz or Robertson or Johnston, which can really change a team's trajectory.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
ok so not sure exactly why you must fight every post.

WTF are you talking about?
I agree with your point while acknowledging that others pointed it out to me before you.
How is that fighting your post?
I also agreed with the other posters who pointed out the probability that he is not a suitable candidate for our 2C.

The earlier post of yours that I questioned (questioning is NOT fighting) made a statement with nothing that might support it. "Necas wants to play center that probably doesn't happen here", I asked why not.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In the regular season he is a special player with high entertainment value that regularly outproduces his icetime and is a transition monster.

In the post season he is barely a replacement level player that regularly underproduces his icetime and is a possession liability.

It's Jekyll and Hyde.

I don't see to many top 4 D available right now, who knows what happens in the coming months, but I have a feeling Ehlers will eventually be moved for a futures based package.

I can't argue with that. I don't agree that he is afraid. He takes a lot of pounding in regular season play and shows no signs of being afraid of contact.

Players don't need to be shopped to be available. Almost everyone is available for the right price. If the only players available are the ones teams don't want there wouldn't be many trades.

Jets will be a weaker team until the futures pan out, IF they pan out, if Ehlers is traded for futures. They will also be a lot less entertaining meaning a lot less worth the price of admission. Trading Ehlers for futures is a rebuild move.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I was surprised how much more engaged physically Connor was in the playoffs. He certainly wasn't Lindros but there were way less fly-bys and featherdusters than in the regular season. He even bumped into a couple of guys lol
I didn't see much physical but I did see a lot more defensive awareness and get up and go -
He's been lazy in the past - especially when transitioning to D - but I agree, he's added some "compete" to his game and that's probably all you want to ask of him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Don't know enough about him as a prospect but if he fits the template then by all means.

I only know what I have been able to find online. But I see that he just keeps excelling at every stop. Even his AHL play the last 2 seasons looks merely good until you realize they are his 18 and 19 YO seasons. That is outstanding production for his age. This last season included 12 pts in 7 games at the WJC-20. People usually get pretty excited by a prospect who does that. That was his 3rd WJC. He has scored ppg+ in all 3.

Already having 2 complete, solid seasons in the AHL he is probably ready to step into the NHL, at least in a sheltered role.

14 points in 37 games sounds even worse actually, Pionk has 14 points in 22 playoff games for example. I like Ehlers but you just can't have such little production from one of your core players. Scheifele has 21 goals and 38 points in 42 games, Connor has 15 goals and 32 points in 45 games . 4 goals and 14 points in 37 games is not very good from your 3rd best player.

My point was not that 14 pts is good. Not by any means. Just the effect of people continually seeing 4G plants the number 4 in peoples' heads.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I can't argue with that. I don't agree that he is afraid. He takes a lot of pounding in regular season play and shows no signs of being afraid of contact.

Players don't need to be shopped to be available. Almost everyone is available for the right price. If the only players available are the ones teams don't want there wouldn't be many trades.

Jets will be a weaker team until the futures pan out, IF they pan out, if Ehlers is traded for futures. They will also be a lot less entertaining meaning a lot less worth the price of admission. Trading Ehlers for futures is a rebuild move.
I honestly think he struggles when the game tightens up - and I'm not referring to getting more physically envolved.
He likes to have some room in the Nzone that allows him to wind up his speed on ozone entry.
He's not getting that room (or time) against PO teams -

There are other options in those situations (using his linemates) but in the end, he loses (or reduces) a couple of his major strengths - zone entries and possession.
HIs size also comes into play with possession - he's getting knocked off stride more when the checking tightens up and for a 170 lb player that is light on his skates, he isn't hard to knock off stride.
He gets away with it in the reg season with the reduced level of compete from defenders - but it shows up a lot in the PO's.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I honestly think he struggles when the game tightens up - and I'm not referring to getting more physically envolved.
He likes to have some room in the Nzone that allows him to wind up his speed on ozone entry.
He's not getting that room (or time) against PO teams -

There are other options in those situations (using his linemates) but in the end, he loses (or reduces) a couple of his major strengths - zone entries and possession.
HIs size also comes into play with possession - he's getting knocked off stride more when the checking tightens up and for a 170 lb player that is light on his skates, he isn't hard to knock off stride.
He gets away with it in the reg season with the reduced level of compete from defenders - but it shows up a lot in the PO's.

It could be as simple as that. PO hockey is different. We all know that. You don't see any weak teams. The good teams tighten up and ramp up intensity. Reffing changes.

So, from a coaching POV, how do you counter that to get your talented player producing? Can you simply coach him to make some adjustments? Ehlers is a smart young man. He should be coachable. I don't know that he is or isn't. Would that be enough? Can you tweak the systems to get him more time and space? IDK. But there has to be something with the talent that is there.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

He definitely goes to rougher areas in the regular season and that is the problem he doesn't do that in the post season. He goes to much greater lengths to avoid contact in the post season. Which is really the exact opposite of what you want in a player.

No they don't need to be shopped to be available but generally there is a hierarchy of value, sometimes that hierarchy of value isn't followed to a T but it generally is and finding a solid top pairing D for a sub PPG winger that is prone to injury and who completely folds in the playoffs generally isn't something many GMs are going to go for. There would likely need to be a bigger plus from our side or we would have to find someone who has the potential to be that but isn't quite yet. I know if I was a GM that had a top pairing defender and you came to me offering just Ehlers I would laugh in your face.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Agreed. Others have pointed out that Car's need at C is even greater than ours and they didn't use him there. So I don't think he is a candidate for that spot. Apparently he disagrees and wants to play C. I hope he is not what we go after.
If Brind’Amour, a damn good centre feels Necas is not a very good centre then I would steer clear.

Reactions: roccerfeller

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Who remembers Gabriel Bourque? Austin Poganski? Kristian Reichel? Karson Kuhlman? Where are they now? As former linemates Lowry had to go to battle with.
Bourque was never really on Lowry's line... I mean maybe a couple of these guys played with him due to injuries - but that also means the rest of the lines were jumbled too

Lowry has been stapled to Copp, then Tanev then Apples and now Nino too... every line gets shuffled but Lowry's lines have been by far the most consistent behind Scheif-Wheeler.. and now Scheif-Connor

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I guess it's easy enough to forget the 2019-20 season. But Bourque was probably on that line half the season as the Jets dealt with injuries. Starting with Little early in the season. The Eakin trade gave him Roslovic instead of Bourque. That one and the year Vesalainen started on his line to be replaced by Poganski are likely the 2 worst statistical seasons for the Cap. Appleton comes between those 2 seasons and then after...and when he went down it was Kuhlman...thankfully depth is better today.

Reactions: Krauser

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I guess it's easy enough to forget the 2019-20 season. But Bourque was probably on that line half the season as the Jets dealt with injuries. Starting with Little early in the season. That one and the year Vesalainen started on his line to be replaced by Poganski are likely the 2 worst statistical seasons for the Cap. Appleton comes between those 2 seasons and then after...and when he went down it was Kuhlman...thankfully depth is better today.
To be clear, I'm not claiming that Lowry didn't have those line mates ever - and yup injuries change lines but Lowry has had the least changes really

Ehers moved all over the place and stuck with Thorburn... Wheeler moved to 2C... Roslovic, Copp, Apples rotating in and out of top 6... Laine/Ehlerscentered by Stas/Eakin/Little/Hayes etc...

Lowry has generally had a consistent winger with him on his line - more than most guys can say on this team... and not on this team anymore

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I was surprised how much more engaged physically Connor was in the playoffs. He certainly wasn't Lindros but there were way less fly-bys and featherdusters than in the regular season. He even bumped into a couple of guys lol
I agree, i thought Connor was pretty good at getting back to help with defense in these playoffs, maybe even he could see how much our defense was struggling.:laugh:

Reactions: Dale53130

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
"A report from David Pagnotta of The Fourth Period earlier this week suggested Ehlers won’t be willing to sign a long-term extension with the Jets.

A source close to Ehlers wouldn’t confirm that to the Sun, only saying he’s got one year left on his deal and they’ll see where it goes. They added there’s constant dialogue with Cheveldayoff."

Reactions: wraithsonwings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad