Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
That leaves us without that solid RHD everyone's after, a 2C to improve the top 6, and it also downgrades the roster at 2LW. In other words, shit. But at least it would get us something back for Heinola, so that's a bonus.

If Ehlers goes, any trade needs to either replace him outright with an equally good playmaker (those aren't many) or provide a long-term fix at 2C or RHD. Otherwise, get picks and prospects. We're not making the playoffs without Nik.
We make the playoffs with Nik and then he disappears, i like Ehlers but this team needs some changes to the core because it's obviously not working.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
We make the playoffs with Nik and then he disappears, i like Ehlers but this team needs some changes to the core because it's obviously not working.
Yup, some would say lets keep him as a self rental for the playoffs, unfortunately his performance in the playoffs leaves a lot to be desired. If true that he doesn't want to stay then more him sooner rather than later and hopefully Chevy can get a good piece for him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That leaves us without that solid RHD everyone's after, a 2C to improve the top 6, and it also downgrades the roster at 2LW. In other words, shit. But at least it would get us something back for Heinola, so that's a bonus.

If Ehlers goes, any trade needs to either replace him outright with an equally good playmaker (those aren't many) or provide a long-term fix at 2C or RHD. Otherwise, get picks and prospects. We're not making the playoffs without Nik.
It provides a 2 C or 1 RW to replace Ehlers' offense and transition in the top 6. They can't fill all holes with an Ehlers trade, but at least they need to fill the hole he'll leave if they trade him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Can't see ehlers extending early with any new team. Both Guentzel and Tervainen are RFA, I can see them going hard after one of them and maybe a lesser 2LW replacement.

Necas wants to play center that probably doesn't happen here.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

995744.jpg

I think the team would make the playoffs without him. There are younger players to fill in, in that trade (don't like an expiring Necas coming back tbf even if he is an RFA) a player is coming back. They'll be fine.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Can't see ehlers extending early with any new team. Both Guentzel and Tervainen are RFA, I can see them going hard after one of them and maybe a lesser 2LW replacement.

Necas wants to play center that probably doesn't happen here.

Center after Scheif and Lowry is pretty wide open. Necas has just as good of a chance to make 2C as anyone else on the roster honestly. Its not like anyone is a front runner for that spot.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
It provides a 2 C or 1 RW to replace Ehlers' offense and transition in the top 6. They can't fill all holes with an Ehlers trade, but at least they need to fill the hole he'll leave if they trade him.
Ehlers has outscored Necas at even strength over the last three seasons, despite playing about 78% of Necas' minutes. He isn't even capable of replacing Nik's actual point production, and then he'd also be tasked with playing C (which he cannot do) and carrying the rest of the line on his back. Considering that we already have a losing first line, it kind of doesn't sound like a recipe for success.

Also: if Necas was a capable 2C, why has Carolina's offensive production been a total shitshow for the last couple of years? Their 5v5 scoring has been non-existent behind Aho, and Necas is among those responsible for it. You'd think that if he was a solution for us, Carolina would be looking to keep him - that is if some lunatic didn't offer them a clearly superior line driver in a trade, obviously.

Unfortunately, this reeks of the Trouba situation. A lot of posters hated his guts for wanting to leave, which is understandable enough, but the fact that those posters also claimed that he was replaceable was nonsense. Yes, our hands were forced, but we still don't have a replacement, nor are we anywhere close to having one in the system. The same goes for Ehlers: we have nothing to replace him with, we cannot get anything close to him in a trade, and none of the prospects are good enough to take on his responsibilities. If Ehlers just wants out, then there's little we can do, but if this is about us lowballing him, maybe it'd be time to accept the reality and pay the guy.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
995744.jpg

I think the team would make the playoffs without him. There are younger players to fill in, in that trade (don't like an expiring Necas coming back tbf even if he is an RFA) a player is coming back. They'll be fine.

I'm lukewarm on Necas but we could do worse.

Necas and Zegras feel like the easier hockey trades and can be done post July 1st when Ehlers can negotiate an extension if he so chooses. I feel like hes more likely to sign with Carolina over Anaheim though.

Ehlers has outscored Necas at even strength over the last three seasons, despite playing about 78% of Necas' minutes. He isn't even capable of replacing Nik's actual point production, and then he'd also be tasked with playing C (which he cannot do) and carrying the rest of the line on his back. Considering that we already have a losing first line, it kind of doesn't sound like a recipe for success.

Unfortunately, this reeks of the Trouba situation. A lot of posters hated his guts for wanting to leave, which is understandable enough, but the fact that those posters also claimed that he was replaceable was nonsense. Yes, our hands were forced, but we still don't have a replacement, nor are we anywhere close to having one in the system. The same goes for Ehlers: we have nothing to replace him with, we cannot get anything close to him in a trade, and none of the prospects are good enough to take on his responsibilities. If Ehlers just wants out, then there's little we can do, but if this is about us lowballing him, maybe it'd be time to accept the reality and pay the guy.

Based on Troubas recent performance I dont think we are honestly that much worse off with Pionk. Necas also handily ourscores Ehlers in the playoffs and its not particularly close.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Based on Troubas recent performance I dont think we are honestly that much worse off with Pionk. Necas also handily ourscores Ehlers in the playoffs and its not particularly close.
Trouba has been in two of the last three ECFs. Based on the value you put on playoff performance, you should be singing his praises and not shitting on him. But I guess it just wouldn't fit your narrative.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I don't think Ehlers has requested a trade tho, right? Or expressed any indication he doesn't want to stay in Winnipeg? Did I miss that?

I think re-signing him would be sweet. He is good to have as a best player on the 2nd line, tho the Jets were better when the winger opposite him was scoring 40 goals a year there. This might be crazy but it would be cool to see Lambert centering Perfetti and Ehlers there. It's risky, especially considering how streaky Ehlers can be, but if they click it could be nice. Not a very tough line, but speedy and Perfetti has the brains. It's not like Monahan is that good defensively anyways.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thinking Skjei and Pesce sign for just over 5m is quite the fantasy.

Where did I say that? Or anything remotely like that?
I never speculated on contract amounts at all beyond saying that it would take more than that.

When was the last time a top 10 pick was traded for a player of Ehler's age (let alone contract status)?

Ehler's value to us isn't the same as it would be to a young team that is bad enough to end up with the 10th pick

Exactly. That is why I said they would not give us the 10th AND that the 10th was not enough. Both sides say no.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ehlers (extended) + Heinola for Necas + 2nd

Thoughts?

Why is Ehlers extended but Necas is not?
Why are Jets adding more than Canes are adding?
Ehlers is worth more than Necas. Career Necas .67 ppg, Ehlers .76 ppg.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Trouba has been in two of the last three ECFs. Based on the value you put on playoff performance, you should be singing his praises and not shitting on him. But I guess it just wouldn't fit your narrative.

He's also on a pretty stacked team. Are we just going to forget about all the blunders that lost them the series against Florida or are those off limits?

Reactions: FFHockey

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
995744.jpg

I'm not sure the team does make the playoffs without him.
I think you under estimate how often the team will get trapped in the neutral zone or fail to break into the offensive zone as a controlled entry.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think you under estimate how often the team will get trapped in the neutral zone or fail to break into the offensive zone as a controlled entry.

Its possible. But if the only reason we can make the playoffs is because of Ehlers and then he dissapears the moment we enter the playoffs perhaps we should just bottom out and take the higher picks until we get a core than can preform. What good does spinning our tires do?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I mean we made the playoffs the year before last with Fly missing a good portion of the year. While a good player we should be able to absorb the loss depending on what we get back.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I mean we made the playoffs the year before last with Fly missing a good portion of the year. While a good player we should be able to absorb the loss depending on what we get back.
it's like people are treating ehlers as a 100 point winger we are letting walk for free, I don't know how people are coming to the conclusion that we are doomed with out him with out even seeing our finished roster

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Perhaps but the Ducks GM did say they want veteran players back that can help the youth out. Perfetti isn't exactly a vet yet. Perhaps we could offload Ehlers and Pionk for Zegras and some other pieces.

He's a young skilled C who probably honestly just needs some structure. Anaheim has been a dumpster fire for a few years now. He's young, has a tonne of skill and as a 2C to start we could and have done worse.

It's funny because a lot of Carolina fans are down on Necas for similar reasons we are down on Ehlers. They feel he's not cut out for playoff hockey though he has scored more than Ehlers has, albeit on a team that consistently goes deep.

Ducks are ready to move on to the next stage of their rebuild. Adding some vet players is part of that. If they are looking for either a winger or a Dman, we could give them 1 of each. They have lots of cap space so that would not be an issue.

The impression I have of Zegras' fit in Anaheim is a bit like Nik's fit here. But maybe worse from that POV. Zegras is coming off a very poor season but he had 2 very good seasons prior to this one. He is under contract for 2 more years so can't be extended yet. He would be an RFA for 1 more year after that contract.

Necas is no longer considered a C. IDK why that is. Maybe he could go back to that position. Maybe he has failed there. I have seen somewhere that part of why he wants to leave Car is because he wants the opportunity to play C.

I think that either Zegras or Necas would be reasonable returns on Nik. Both have question marks. I think there is pretty high risk. But the potential rewards are also high. Necas is under team control for only 1 more year as an RFA if I have counted correctly. Zegras is 3 years away from UFA.

Not sure who adds or who else might be included but the basis for a trade is there for either one IMO.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
-were going to get something back in an ehlers trade
-fix special teams
-perfetti takes another step and doesn't go into a massive slump
-vilardi takes another step and remains healthy

those things can easily offset an ehlers trade

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
-were going to get something back in an ehlers trade
-fix special teams
-perfetti takes another step and doesn't go into a massive slump
-vilardi takes another step and remains healthy

those things can easily offset an ehlers trade

Well said. Perfetti showed signs of being able to carry a line the first half of last year and Gabe had some excellent stretches of play. If both can be more consistent next year and in Gabe's case stay healthy then we should be ok. If we get a Necas for Fly then that is a good chunk of his production right there. I also think we need to start getting players who are good but better fit the identity and I think you gwt that with a Necas type.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

IF Necas proves to be what we need at 2C it is an upgrade (of sorts) because we have options at 2L(R)W. Just as Ehlers could play either wing, so can Perfetti. Perfetti is also a high calibre playmaker, though not the same style as Ehlers. There would be a loss of team speed.

I don't see a 2nd being included as a bonus getting "something back for Heinola". Just the opposite in fact. We don't need the pick and it costs us our best D prospect. Something that we can't afford to lose right now. We should not be the ones adding to get this done.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Agree, but I still don't think losing Ehlers is the change we need. But assuming he wants a change of scenery he is the one we need to have.

I don't dispute that he has been ineffective in the PO. But I don't believe he has been set up to succeed in the PO. Clearly, the whole team has not been set up to succeed and he has been part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad