Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
:laugh: No way Connor could be 6'5, 245 and retain his speed or quickness. Those are his main attributes.

All other things being equal, bigger size helps. But how often does that happen? Part of what made player X good enough to play in the NHL was his size. He used his size to compensate for some weakness elsewhere. Just as smaller players need to find a way to compensate. In the end each player is what he is in part due to his size, large or small.
None of what you said changes my point.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Here is another little bit of a fantasy rebuild of our D corps.

To start Dillon walks. 3.9 mil recovered from last year's cap hit. Keep DeMelo.
Buyout Schmidt. 3.2333 mil cap space saved.
Trade Pionk to Carolina - 50% retention, 2.9375 mil recovered. Return of 5th + negotiation rights for Pesce and Skjei. Use the recovered cap space (10.07 mil) to help sign Pesce & Skjei. Need to find a little more cap space somewhere.

We still have Ehlers at this point. Trade him for futures and cap space.

Morrissey - DeMelo
Skjei - Pesce
Samberg - Heinola

Reactions: kenobiwan

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Just noticing the Ducks have 7 picks in the first three rounds of the draft. And get to build around Leo Carlsson and Mason McTavish as their 1 and 2 C.

That's what happens when you miss the playoffs for 6 straight years as a bad team and they're still facing at least 2 more before they're playoff relevant again.

Also not your post, but I'm immediately dismissing as not happening, any offseason fantasy GMing that includes us signing either one of Skjei or Pesce let alone both.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i can see maybe pesce. i think that tier of player would not scoff at WPG (ie: nino, stastny re-signing in recent years - although they were already here & experienced the market. & then consider dillon, demelo or monahan's willingness to re-sign).

Skjei i think may be a higher tier & probably will get a lot more attractive offers. however, overall i think demelo will be the Jets' 1st choice for RD over Pesce, and i doubt anything happens to Pionk. So your top-4 RDs are likely set.

Utah has no dmen signed and 3 RFAs. if the Jets want to move one of Pionk or Schmidt (not something i am predicting) they could be a team that might rather take on one of the contracts for solely 1 year, rather than multi-year deals in UFA for a not-so-good class:dunno:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
can't see the devils moving that pick for ehlers. GMs are always open to trade top-10 picks it seems but barely happens.

their priority should probably be for a goalie, ie: Saros. or a lesser package for Ullmark. but they seem pretty set on fwd.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
i can see maybe pesce. i think that tier of player would not scoff at WPG (ie: nino, stastny re-signing in recent years - although they were already here & experienced the market. & then consider dillon, demelo or monahan's willingness to re-sign).

Skjei i think may be a higher tier & probably will get a lot more attractive offers. however, overall i think demelo will be the Jets' 1st choice for RD over Pesce, and i doubt anything happens to Pionk. So your top-4 RDs are likely set.

Utah has no dmen signed and 3 RFAs. if the Jets want to move one of Pionk or Schmidt (not something i am predicting) they could be a team that might rather take on one of the contracts for solely 1 year, rather than multi-year deals in UFA for a not-so-good class:dunno:

I could see them pursuing DeMelo if he gets to free agency. Him and Montour. They got some big boys on the way on the backend but they are a few years away.

My guess is they also try to plunder Vegas for players using all those 2nds they have as ammo

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
can't see the devils moving that pick for ehlers. GMs are always open to trade top-10 picks it seems but barely happens.

their priority should probably be for a goalie, ie: Saros. or a lesser package for Ullmark. but they seem pretty set on fwd.

Every year we hear about how GMs are open to trading their pick and then they end up at the podium on draft day. It's just a hype machine at this point.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Here is another little bit of a fantasy rebuild of our D corps.

To start Dillon walks. 3.9 mil recovered from last year's cap hit. Keep DeMelo.
Buyout Schmidt. 3.2333 mil cap space saved.
Trade Pionk to Carolina - 50% retention, 2.9375 mil recovered. Return of 5th + negotiation rights for Pesce and Skjei. Use the recovered cap space (10.07 mil) to help sign Pesce & Skjei. Need to find a little more cap space somewhere.

We still have Ehlers at this point. Trade him for futures and cap space.

Morrissey - DeMelo
Skjei - Pesce
Samberg - Heinola
Thinking Skjei and Pesce sign for just over 5m is quite the fantasy.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Luckiest fn frachise in the league.

Gretzky and Messier

McDavid and Draisatl

10th is not enough IMO.
When was the last time a top 10 pick was traded for a player of Ehler's age (let alone contract status)?

Ehler's value to us isn't the same as it would be to a young team that is bad enough to end up with the 10th pick

Reactions: surixon

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim

What about Ehlers and first rights to talk to Brossoit?

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Every year we hear about how GMs are open to trading their pick and then they end up at the podium on draft day. It's just a hype machine at this point.

Likely they are open but the asking price is probably too high for other GMs to deal.

Who would turn down a top 10 pick for, say, McDavid or Bedard? :laugh:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
True.
OTOH, 10th isn't enough. What are the odds the 10th ever matches Ehlers? If so, when?
It's an interesting relative value question regarding the 2024 10th OA pick; and Trevor Zegras, a former 9th overall pick who is on a decent contract one year away from RFA; and Nikolaj Ehlers, a former 9th overall pick who is on a decent contract one year away from UFA.

edit: intangibles aside, Zegras has to be worth most

Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Why do we think Brossoit is going to be a sought after starter? I think he'll likely end up somewhere where he's a tandem at best. He's over 30 and never played more than 24 games in a season.
People are funny when valuing their own assets. Not sure why (sentimental?) but we develop biases towards what we have

For example... people saying that 10 OA isn't enough for Ehlers. Would you trade the rest of Ehler's carreer, including its inevitable decline, for the first 9 years of his career? Of course you would

Reactions: Dale53130

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What about Ehlers and first rights to talk to Brossoit?
i don't think UFA signing rights are worth much. for goalies Bishop went for a 4th rd pick in early May 2017 for Dallas to get a head-start on signing him. i can't think of any thing else more recent than that. idk how many teams see Brossoit as a for-sure starter either.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
For example... people saying that 10 OA isn't enough for Ehlers. Would you trade the rest of Ehler's carreer, including its inevitable decline, for the first 9 years of his career? Of course you would
Obviously, except the chance of a 10th ovr pick being as good as Ehlers is 50/50 at best.

Draft picks are often overrated in comparison to actual players.

That being said, makes no sense for NJ to trade 10 for Ehlers. It is not what they need at all.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maybe it's just me, but the Jets could do worse than using $3.5M in cap hit for Brossoit, all things considered. Having at top-grade back-up goalie to fill in 25 games, along with a hedge against injury, isn't a bad use of cap space. Also, Brossoit would still have trade value in a couple of years if the Jets have another back-up option. Right now, goalies are at a premium, and the Jets have no good back-up option in their prospect pipeline at this point.
Last season, Brossoit provide more GAR:WAR value than every skater on the Jets last season.

1717624631518.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad