Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I bet Chevy hates it when stories like this come out ... the advantage goes to the other 31 GMs.
Now its time to start rumors that 5 teams want Ehlers.:D

GPVs0k9a0AAcq2a.jpg

Attachments

• GPVs0k9a0AAcq2a.jpg
    GPVs0k9a0AAcq2a.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Maybe it's just me, but the Jets could do worse than using $3.5M in cap hit for Brossoit, all things considered. Having at top-grade back-up goalie to fill in 25 games, along with a hedge against injury, isn't a bad use of cap space. Also, Brossoit would still have trade value in a couple of years if the Jets have another back-up option. Right now, goalies are at a premium, and the Jets have no good back-up option in their prospect pipeline at this point.
Last season, Brossoit provide more GAR:WAR value than every skater on the Jets last season.

View attachment 879817

That would have $12m tied up in goalies. You've got maybe Ehlers coming off the books but then you have Vilardi's next contract, Samberg's next contract, and you still have to ice a team. I'm not sure I'd go to that dollar amount but he does seem to fit well here.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I bet Chevy hates it when stories like this come out ... the advantage goes to the other 31 GMs.

View attachment 879825
"Well placed source close to the Jets"

There's no such thing lol

Seems to be enough smoke around this that maybe there's some fire but if you rewind 12 (or even 10) months, people were saying the same about Schief and Helle

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

View attachment 879825
pagnotta is not a source for anything other then maybe the kings, also think you are overblowing the amount a leak can have on value, it was well known pld wanted out and we came out pretty well on that trade, the only reliable person that gets jets info is dreger

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think I'd rather keep Ehlers for next year's run as a rental if we can only get futures back for him. If its a hockey trade where we can get a roster player then I would be more interested

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

View attachment 879825
Actually the opposite can be argued. Now a situation sets up where you have teams competing for him. If a player is available you want multiple suitors.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Maybe it's just me, but the Jets could do worse than using $3.5M in cap hit for Brossoit, all things considered. Having at top-grade back-up goalie to fill in 25 games, along with a hedge against injury, isn't a bad use of cap space. Also, Brossoit would still have trade value in a couple of years if the Jets have another back-up option. Right now, goalies are at a premium, and the Jets have no good back-up option in their prospect pipeline at this point.
Last season, Brossoit provide more GAR:WAR value than every skater on the Jets last season.

View attachment 879817
I would love if they kept Brossoit. However, he HAS to be allowed to play more games.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Seems to be enough smoke around this that maybe there's some fire but if you rewind 12 (or even 10) months, people were saying the same about Schief and Helle
I wonder if this was something the Jets let out there in advance of a trade that might be unpopular with many fans.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
People are funny when valuing their own assets. Not sure why (sentimental?) but we develop biases towards what we have

For example... people saying that 10 OA isn't enough for Ehlers. Would you trade the rest of Ehler's carreer, including its inevitable decline, for the first 9 years of his career? Of course you would

And I MIGHT trade it for the first 9 years of this year's 10th overall pick too. Ask me in 10 years.

A 10th OA pick in what is supposed to be a weak draft class (so I hear) is a pig in a poke. Could turn out very well or could bust. Ehlers is proven.

Also, consider Jets situation. They are still in win now mode. Futures, even good ones, are not what Jets need. Nothing to do with bias. I can bring my bias in on top of that by saying that Ehlers has been underutilized and could produce more on a new team.

i don't think UFA signing rights are worth much. for goalies Bishop went for a 4th rd pick in early May 2017 for Dallas to get a head-start on signing him. i can't think of any thing else more recent than that. idk how many teams see Brossoit as a for-sure starter either.

True.
But those rights have some value. Just not much.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Agreed 100% I learned my lesson about assuming based off reading the tea leaves

Reactions: wpgallday1960

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I wonder if this was something the Jets let out there in advance of a trade that might be unpopular with many fans.
No idea.

I just saw on YouTube shorts some guy hollowing out the center of a vanilla soft serve cone to fill it with sprinkles and now I can’t stop thinking about trying it.

Have you dabbled in this sort of thing before? Is it good?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
i can see maybe pesce. i think that tier of player would not scoff at WPG (ie: nino, stastny re-signing in recent years - although they were already here & experienced the market. & then consider dillon, demelo or monahan's willingness to re-sign).

Skjei i think may be a higher tier & probably will get a lot more attractive offers. however, overall i think demelo will be the Jets' 1st choice for RD over Pesce, and i doubt anything happens to Pionk. So your top-4 RDs are likely set.

Utah has no dmen signed and 3 RFAs. if the Jets want to move one of Pionk or Schmidt (not something i am predicting) they could be a team that might rather take on one of the contracts for solely 1 year, rather than multi-year deals in UFA for a not-so-good class:dunno:

Our top 4 LDs are pretty much set, JMo and Samberg. Possibly Dillon but he looks likely to move. If our top 4 RDs are also set we can expect no improvement in our D corps. In fact, likely worse.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
They'd probably ask for Perfetti instead of ehlers. Matches their limeline better

Perhaps but the Ducks GM did say they want veteran players back that can help the youth out. Perfetti isn't exactly a vet yet. Perhaps we could offload Ehlers and Pionk for Zegras and some other pieces.

I don't know that he fits other then being a young C. There are major holes in his game and imo there is a reason the Ducks are shopping a player you'd expect would be part of a rebuild.

He's a young skilled C who probably honestly just needs some structure. Anaheim has been a dumpster fire for a few years now. He's young, has a tonne of skill and as a 2C to start we could and have done worse.

I'd take Necas. His style of play better fits what we are trying to do.

It's funny because a lot of Carolina fans are down on Necas for similar reasons we are down on Ehlers. They feel he's not cut out for playoff hockey though he has scored more than Ehlers has, albeit on a team that consistently goes deep.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Seems like the likely approach here. Ehlers is a fan favourite so it softens the blow if its rumoured he wants out. If he's looking at testing the market then it makes it more palatable to the fans. I think he wants a change of scenery.

I think he'll be valued around the league, the sticking point will be what teams are looking to give up. If he is set on testing FA than he's a rental and nothing more. If he's willing to talk extension than it has to wait until July 1st which means we miss out on adding something from this years draft if we are looking at the futures route.

Zegras seems like a good fit if he's willing to extend in Anaheim. But I think if Ehlers is set on FA than he's probably wanting to go somewhere that isn't in the midst of a rebuild.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
if the jets wanted to leak to soften the blow they would leak to dreger, who they leak everything too, who is far bigger and has more reach than pagnotta
Dreger seems to have been TNSE's mouthpiece in the past. I was thinking the same thing

On the other hand, could be from Ehlers camp for whatever reason. Maybe he's told them he isn't planning on re-signing and Chevy just gave him the "ok, thanks for the info" and Ehlers is afraid that Chevy will take the same patient approach as he did with Schief and Helle last season and not feel any pressure to get anything done around the draft

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Also league best goaltending tends to mask a lot of issues. We were 110 points with real flaws in our play like special teams. I feel the Jets were a bonifide playoff team that all world tending pushed into elite status.
I think this has been the case the whole time Hellebucyk has been here.
I doubt we are anything other than a WC team without him.
Unfortunately he has been pretty average in playoffs.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Dreger seems to have been TNSE's mouthpiece in the past. I was thinking the same thing

On the other hand, could be from Ehlers camp for whatever reason. Maybe he's told them he isn't planning on re-signing and Chevy just gave him the "ok, thanks for the info" and Ehlers is afraid that Chevy will take the same patient approach as he did with Schief and Helle last season and not feel any pressure to get anything done around the draft
I think if it was ehlers camp they would leak it to somebody bigger so it gets more attention

I think the most likely scenario is that since ehlers is such an obvious trade candidate that many have already speculated will be traded pagnotta jumped on it and claimed he had a source so in the event he does get traded he can claimed that he was right

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Ehlers (extended) + Heinola for Necas + 2nd

Thoughts?
That leaves us without that solid RHD everyone's after, a 2C to improve the top 6, and it also downgrades the roster at 2LW. In other words, shit. But at least it would get us something back for Heinola, so that's a bonus.

If Ehlers goes, any trade needs to either replace him outright with an equally good playmaker (those aren't many) or provide a long-term fix at 2C or RHD. Otherwise, get picks and prospects. We're not making the playoffs without Nik.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad