Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Agreed. His last deadline is a good example. He went out and got really slow players and that hurt the teams ability to play the forechecking type of game they wanted to play. It's like we need a 2C and a panic winger so let's just get who's available instead of targeting a player who fits.

To be fair Monhan does fit if we give him some speed on his wings but Toffolli didn't fit at all.
I think they were looking for scoring when they looked at Toffolli (as well as a lot of the fans at the time) - but as noted, they should have considered the pace of the PO's and game style the Jets were playing successfully. Live and learn on that one Chevy.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I give the Aves a ton of credit - and there is nothing random about being unable to carry your game plan in the PO's when they have struggled with that for a while now.

Your hyperbole is over the top with these "100%" comments - the system has worked well (who said anything about 100%??) but was not carried into the PO's for whatever reason. Some of it was likely based on the Aves ramping up and overwhelming the Jets - some was the Jets not ramping up the game plan knowing that the PO's are a different animal and would require more effort.

As for trying hard, that's your term, not mine. I see it as a combination of carrying your game plan into the PO's and raising the level of effort knowing that you need to do that in the PO's. Are you saying we did those things and it was simply a matter of talent? If so, I disagree - I think it's more than just talent / skill in the PO's.
the system was not carried into the playoffs because colorado made adjustments and broke down our system and took advantage of our weaknesses

trying hard is my term? there were like 15 posts about effort level before I even said that people are going way to far on the effort level and not focusing enough on the talent level of the teams

again colorado is the fastest team in the league, we are near the bottom in terms of speed, we can ramp it up as much as we possibly can it's still not going to make us close to matching their speed, we dump the puck in their zone and by the time we get on the forecheck it's already out of the zone and it's also not like colorado is not going to ramp up their level of play as well

I just fail to see where you have actually gave colorado any credit, you've stated we lost because we didn't play our system and didn't ramp up our effort, which ignores the adjustments they made coming into the series, discounts that they are also going to ramp up their effort level and ignores the difference in talent level they have, mack is going to win the hart for a reason, makar is a norris trophy winner and will end up with a few more of those, they are on the path of becoming hall of famers, we have no skater close to that level of talent

playoffs are far more then just effort level, it's not like the team that wins the series lost because they had less of an effort, talent matters, adjustments matter and goaltending matters, which was why my original point was that people are leaning way to much into it being purely about effort level

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I really wasn't all that big of a fan of Monahan either, especially in the playoffs. He looked slow, he was bad in the defensive zone and he didn't contribute much in the offensive side either.

I'd rather we take a step back, inject some youth and see if anyone is ready to take the reigns than sign Monahan as our 2C solution.
I've been on the fence with re-signing him on one hand it would be nice to get a 2c that can help our pp but on the other hand this team needs to get faster, the only way it would make sense to me is if they could make other moves to get more speed into the lineup but I don't think that's likely

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've been on the fence with re-signing him on one hand it would be nice to get a 2c that can help our pp but on the other hand this team needs to get faster, the only way it would make sense to me is if they could make other moves to get more speed into the lineup but I don't think that's likely

One way would be to improve the breakout ability of the dcore. Moving the puck crisper and quicker would help a lot with the transition. But that won't be easy to upgrade.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I didn't want either of Tof or Mono but Mono surprised me a bit. Helped the PP as well. Barring Mono agreeing to a 3 x 4.5m deal, I would move on from him. He will get more and longer term in free agency.
I don't mind Chevy trading for them and taking a run at it. We had a good team and were playing pretty well heading into the playoffs. Healthy as can be expected, too. If last year wasn't the year to trade at the TD, when is?

I know it won't happen but I'd look at Volare as a center as well. I thought they were going to when they got him but.........
I'd look at both of Lambert and Perfetti every game in exhibitions this fall. Let them know now that the position is up for grabs.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I just fail to see where you have actually gave colorado any credit, you've stated we lost because we didn't play our system and didn't ramp up our effort, which ignores the adjustments they made coming into the series, discounts that they are also going to ramp up their effort level and ignores the difference in talent level they have, mack is going to win the hart for a reason, makar is a norris trophy winner and will end up with a few more of those, they are on the path of becoming hall of famers, we have no skater close to that level of talent
I started my post by stating I give the Aves a ton of credit -
You want me to spell it out for you? Do I really need to say the Aves have more talent? That's a given and I wasn't disputing that point.
I'm out -

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I feel like I need to go back and watch the Jets-Avs series. I defintely felt like the effort was there from the Jets. Whether we were smart enough, fast enough, or out-coached, I'm not sure. It seems like each game was fine until late 2nd early 3rd, where we lost the plot.

I think we lost due to our PK / their PP, and no answer for Middlestadt/Zajac at the end of the day.

edit: no way I am going back to watch that sh1t

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Agreed. His last deadline is a good example. He went out and got really slow players and that hurt the teams ability to play the forechecking type of game they wanted to play. It's like we need a 2C and a panic winger so let's just get who's available instead of targeting a player who fits.

To be fair Monhan does fit if we give him some speed on his wings but Toffolli didn't fit at all.
Still got 2 more goals than Ehlers. But I think Toffoli was the kind of player who would have matched up well against Dallas in more of a grind series...

There's so many issues with why the Jets lost...you can't change the goaltending. Not going to change the leadership. Special teams though, I don't see the Jets coming back with the same personnel that had a miserable playoffs and finished 20th in the regular season...The 2 best PKing teams in the playoffs are now in the Stanley Cup final.

When you look at the cumulative results from last year it's a bit surprising that Logan Stanley was the Jets most effective PKer and Rasmus Kupari was the worst.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yeah but does that matter? His size and reach would make him incredibly hard to handle when he has the puck
If we are going by his current game making him 6’5 and 210 lbs I don’t know what would look like or what his game would look like. As, right now his job doesn’t often consist of carrying the puck, but, picking his spots. So it’s hard to say, he would suddenly be hard to knock off his skates. It’s not like he is doing things where you can I just wish he was bigger. Would it open new elements we are currently not seeing that he is not even attempting right now? Who knows as he is not attempting them.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah but does that matter? His size and reach would make him incredibly hard to handle when he has the puck

If he was that size he doesn't make it out of the top 5 of the draft and it's a moot point :p.

But in all seriousness I've been trying to think how this team can win with our collection of players.

We can't win by:
-Outskating the opposition
-Outskilling the opposition
-physically dominating the opposition

The only thing I can think of is by outsmarting them ala those late 90's to late 2000's Redwings teams but even then we don't have the type of talent they had with HOF guys like Lidstrom and their one/two punch at center.

I think we are in tough to win a cup unless Helle goes red hot.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Still got 2 more goals than Ehlers. But I think Toffoli was the kind of player who would have matched up well against Dallas in more of a grind series...

There's so many issues with why the Jets lost...you can't change the goaltending. Not going to change the leadership. Special teams though, I don't see the Jets coming back with the same personnel that had a miserable playoffs and finished 20th in the regular season...The 2 best PKing teams in the playoffs are now in the Stanley Cup final.

When you look at the cumulative results from last year it's a bit surprising that Logan Stanley was the Jets most effective PKer and Rasmus Kupari was the worst.
I don't think you should draw any conclusions from 25 minutes for Stanley and 19 minutes for Kupari on the PK this season...at least not in terms of GA/60. Stanley was one of the worst in terms of GA/60 over the two seasons previous to this one (in a larger sample of 167 PK minutes).

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
That's a must

From there, play the stifling defensive system that brought success during the regular season and bring in a special teams coach that has us winning that battle most nights

That's not a guarantee for a cup win, but it's the only path that I see that gives this team a chance

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If he was that size he doesn't make it out of the top 5 of the draft and it's a moot point :p.

But in all seriousness I've been trying to think how this team can win with our collection of players.

We can't win by:
-Outskating the opposition
-Outskilling the opposition
-physically dominating the opposition

The only thing I can think of is by outsmarting them ala those late 90's to late 2000's Redwings teams but even then we don't have the type of talent they had with HOF guys like Lidstrom and their one/two punch at center.

Yeah we will live and die by Helle and depth. We have both and we have plenty more in the pipeline that could push for spots. The players just need to buy into a defensive system and stick to it. That's about the only way we will ever make a run barring some of our young players taking a massive step forward.

It probably doesn't help that the other top 2 teams in our division are a really tough matchup for us. The Stars and Avs aren't going anywhere anytime soon so we have to figure out how to beat them. Chicago is only going to be trending upwards from here. Utah has a new owner with deep pockets, a will to spend and a lot of cap space so I doubt they remain in the basement for long. The Blues, Preds and Wild are all bubble teams that could go either way over the next few years,

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
New Jersey Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald has made it as clear as day, the team is open for business.

"If we feel it helps us now and in the foreseeable future, then, yes, I’m listening. I haven’t gotten anything yet but the more I talk to teams, I say ‘Listen, I’m open to moving No. 10, but it’s going to have to be something (significant),” the Devils GM told NHL.com.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
New Jersey Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald has made it as clear as day, the team is open for business.

"If we feel it helps us now and in the foreseeable future, then, yes, I’m listening. I haven’t gotten anything yet but the more I talk to teams, I say ‘Listen, I’m open to moving No. 10, but it’s going to have to be something (significant),” the Devils GM told NHL.com.

Maybe we see if Ehlers for 10 is something they are interested in. They don't really seem to have any need for wingers so I doubt that's enough to move the needle.

Reactions: SCP Guy

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Here is a little bit of fantasy rebuild of our D corps.

To start Dillon and DeMelo both walk. 6.9 mil recovered from last year's cap hit.
Buyout Schmidt. 3.2333 mil cap space saved.
Trade Pionk to Carolina - 50% retention, 2.9375 mil recovered. Return of 4th + negotiation rights for Pesce and Skjei. Use the recovered cap space (13.07 mil) to sign Pesce & Skjei.
Trade Ehlers to NYI for Pulock +

Morrissey - Pulock
Skjei - Pesce
Samberg - Heinola

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba

To start Dillon and DeMelo both walk. 6.9 mil recovered from last year's cap hit.
Trade Pionk to Carolina - 50% retention, 2.9375 mil recovered. Return of 4th + negotiation rights for Pesce and Skjei. Use the recovered cap space (13.07 mil) to sign Pesce & Skjei.

Morrissey - Pulock
Skjei - Pesce
Samberg - Heinola
I love it. Make it so #1

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Need a goalie likely could have had Helly if they gave Chevy's price now its likely they could be a bubble team with all that talent

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I don't think you should draw any conclusions from 25 minutes for Stanley and 19 minutes for Kupari on the PK this season...at least not in terms of GA/60. Stanley was one of the worst in terms of GA/60 over the two seasons previous to this one (in a larger sample of 167 PK minutes).
Going back 2/3 yrs vs more recent data is also debatable.

Morrissey - Pulock
Skjei - Pesce
Samberg - Heinola
Wouldn't that be nice - always fun to dream - but I like the dream.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My two favorite D men of the 2.0 era are Morrissey and Buff. One is huge, one is smallish by what our fans on this board seem to want, and I think they are both equally effective.

I like size in players but without talent and compete it’s kind of useless.

Sam Bennett is the poster boy for terrorizing the other teams physically this year in the playoffs yet he is 6’1” 195 pounds (meh). Tkachuk is 6’2” 205 good size but nothing special. They both have the mental make up though which is the critical element.

We had a massive D core here in 2017-18 and 18-19 and Vegas still killed us with speed and pressure.

You can’t get run out of games compete wise, but usually that comes down to the size of the fight in the dog. Florida is not a big team but they are imposing their will in the playoffs by playing a more physical game.

I am bit more concerned with compete level and mental make up in WInnipeg. Something is very off that I don’t think size can cure.

Very well said. :thumbu::thumbu:

Reactions: Eyeseeing

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Rights to bross and nate Schmidt for number 10!!! I'll even throw in Alex iafallo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad