Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
There’s been speculation of the Avalanche trying to find a way to terminate that contract when his suspension is complete.

Regardless I said might become available and he’s not coming here as he’d have no interest in Winnipeg and True North wouldn’t want him either.

Well Steven Stamkos is a UFA but I don't think he's coming here either if we're talking about players that might be technically available but not coming to Winnipeg.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Man no respect for Capo on here - not too many other fanbases would write off AHL dman of the year this easily... or organizations

Isn't he 6'2 200? Like kind of the size and grit we are looking for ? Think he can play right side... Not as fun as throwing out hockeydb names but just seems crazy to walk away from yet another D that we haven't really looked at and sign the flavour of the month

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Man no respect for Capo on here - not too many other fanbases would write off AHL dman of the year this easily... or organizations

Isn't he 6'2 200? Like kind of the size and grit we are looking for ? Think he can play right side... Not as fun as throwing out hockeydb names but just seems crazy to walk away from yet another D that we haven't really looked at and sign the flavour of the month
niku, redmond, bean, murphy, gross, wolanin were the previous winners of the award, so I actually think that alot of fanbases would write off the ahl dman of the year easily...

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
niku, redmond, bean, murphy, gross, wolanin were the previous winners of the award, so I actually think that alot of fanbases would write off the ahl dman of the year easily...
Why post if it's just garbage like this... honestly. Schultz, kronwall, boychuk, barbiero... those guys won too

I mean lots of second round draft picks miss so we shouldn't have looked at samberg

You get the hockeydb poster of the year award though.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Capo is 27 when next season starts.
Nobody claimed him on waivers.
How good do you think he is?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Why post if it's just garbage like this... honestly. Schultz, kronwall, boychuk, barbiero... those guys won too

I mean lots of second round draft picks miss so we shouldn't have looked at samberg

rofl, I literally post the last 6 winners of the award and some how this is garbage and you come back with but these guys won over a decade ago!!! then add some bullshit about not giving samberg a chance as if that's the same thing...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think winning it at 26, he'll be 27 in August, does kind of show his limitations. Plus, he's a Group 6 UFA so he's free to sign wherever he'd like.

Reactions: Buffdog

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
rofl, I literally post the last 6 winners of the award and some how this is garbage and you come back with but these guys won over a decade ago!!! then add some bullshit about not giving samberg a chance as if that's the same thing...
I just get tired of you sitting on the edge and then waiting for 'told you so' or 'no it's not' posts with cherry picked content... it's super lame.

I think winning it at 26, he'll be 27 in August, does kind of show his limitations. Plus, he's a Group 6 UFA so he's free to sign wherever he'd like.
Yes I know. He will land somewhere and we can see how it goes... then if he's not a top pairing some posters will wank about him not being worth anything anyway... while we sit through another season of Stan and the six million dollar man as our fringe D

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I just get tired of you sitting on the edge and then waiting for 'told you so' or 'no it's not' posts with cherry picked content... it's super lame.

Yes I know. He will land somewhere and we can see how it goes... then if he's not a top pairing some posters will wank about him not being worth anything anyway... while we sit through another season of Stan and the six million dollar man as our fringe D

I think the somewhere he lands is back in Utah or Europe.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
me posting the previous 6 winners is not cherry picking... you going back a decade+ and posting a few while ignoring the ones that didn't fit is how ever

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
in order to take the next step we need to improve our top 4, going after bottom pairing defensemen is not going to help that at all, I like demelo but I really think he would be better suited for the second pairing

jmo + xx
xx + demelo
samberg + pionk/schmidt

got to get rid of at least 1 of pionk/schmidt the remaining can be used in a sheltered 3rd pairing role for the next season or could be replaced at the deadline when more capspace is available for an upgrade, in a perfect world heinola will be ready and demelo could anchor that pair, now all we would need is a top pairing rhd which shouldn't be too hard to find :sarcasm:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
When referring to size, we tend to get hung up around here on that point - but really what it's all about is being big enough to handle the NHL level of grind without being too small to the point where you're disadvantaged.
Lots of room between big and small and that's where most players land. Sometimes when we say big, we just mean big enough.
IMO, this is especially true on D -

My two favorite D men of the 2.0 era are Morrissey and Buff. One is huge, one is smallish by what our fans on this board seem to want, and I think they are both equally effective.

I like size in players but without talent and compete it’s kind of useless.

Sam Bennett is the poster boy for terrorizing the other teams physically this year in the playoffs yet he is 6’1” 195 pounds (meh). Tkachuk is 6’2” 205 good size but nothing special. They both have the mental make up though which is the critical element.

We had a massive D core here in 2017-18 and 18-19 and Vegas still killed us with speed and pressure.

You can’t get run out of games compete wise, but usually that comes down to the size of the fight in the dog. Florida is not a big team but they are imposing their will in the playoffs by playing a more physical game.

I am bit more concerned with compete level and mental make up in WInnipeg. Something is very off that I don’t think size can cure.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
My two favorite D men of the 2.0 era are Morrissey and Buff. One is huge, one is smallish by what our fans on this board seem to want, and I think they are both equally effective.

Sam Bennett is the poster boy for terrorizing the other teams physically this year in the playoffs yet he is 6’1” 195 pounds (meh). Tkachuk is 6’2” 205 good size but nothing special. They both have the mental make up though which is the critical element.

We had a massive D core here in 2017-18 and 18-19 and Vegas still killed us with speed and pressure.

You can’t get run out of games compete wise, but usually that comes down to the size of the fight in the dog. Florida is not a big team but they are imposing their will in the playoffs by playing a more physical game.

I am bit more concerned with compete level and mental make up in WInnipeg. Something is very off that I don’t think size can cure.
I agree - and pretty much my point.
I don't consider JoMo small - and he has jam when he wants to play that way. He is an all around good dman with a good blend of all things.
He also made an effort to add some muscle several yrs ago - and that has helped him a lot.

Your Florida call out is a good one - they are average sized players that work very hard and are not afraid of physical.
And you are right (IMO) that the Jets do not have that level of compete - but they could if they listen and buy in to what is needed.
That's not easy and I fear there are a couple of very important pcs that are not interested in that style or commitment.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't consider JoMo small - and he has jam when he wants to play that way. He is an all around good dman with a good blend of all things.
He also made an effort to add some muscle several yrs ago - and that has helped him a lot.

Your Florida call out is a good one - they are average sized players that work very hard and are not afraid of physical.
And you are right (IMO) that the Jets do not have that level of compete - but they could if they listen and buy in to what is needed.
That's not easy and I fear there are a couple of very important pcs that are not interested in that style or commitment.

Yea something is off. Show me any team with a high buy in and I’ll show you a team that has a punchers chance.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

It`s interesting to utilize Florida as a comparable to the Jet`s - but I suggest we look at how the respective teams have been put together, or fundamentally built, by the GM`s. Zito clearly had a vision of what he wanted in terms of team identity ( hard working/ physical as required to win individual puck battles, team that relies on a pressure forecheck game)- and then systematically went out and got a coach that advocated such approach and then players that were known to play that style. The players he brought in were known to be highly competitive and did not have to make a major buy-in or commitment - it already existed. Chevy on the other hand has never shown the same ability to articulate his vision ,or, to collect players that fit that vision. Yes, he assembled a roster of skilled forwards but none of them ever played a hard puck pursuit type of game pre-draft, and yet he hired coach`s who seemingly know no other way to play the game. The players do not have the ingrained buy-in and commitment and have (not surprisingly) not responded well when begged to do so. So imo it is much more a challenge than players simply listening and buying in to whats needed.... .

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
It`s interesting to utilize Florida as a comparable to the Jet`s - but I suggest we look at how the respective teams have been put together, or fundamentally built, by the GM`s. Zito clearly had a vision of what he wanted in terms of team identity ( hard working/ physical as required to win individual puck battles, team that relies on a pressure forecheck game)- and then systematically went out and got a coach that advocated such approach and then players that were known to play that style. The players he brought in were known to be highly competitive and did not have to make a major buy-in or commitment - it already existed. Chevy on the other hand has never shown the same ability to articulate his vision ,or, to collect players that fit that vision. Yes, he assembled a roster of skilled forwards but none of them ever played a hard puck pursuit type of game pre-draft, and yet he hired coach`s who seemingly know no other way to play the game. The players do not have the ingrained buy-in and commitment and have (not surprisingly) not responded well when begged to do so. So imo it is much more a challenge than players simply listening and buying in to whats needed.... .
To be fair to Chevy, it's a lot easier to entice the type of guys you want to Florida than Winnipeg

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I also wish the roster construction with the Jets would have a few big name players that only wanted to come to Winnipeg.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

One thing the Jets players dont have (other than Lowry) is being naturally mean. Bennet is a bad, mean dude.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Good points - thanks for filling in the gaps because I over simplified

It's pretty obvious watching the hockey played right now, that players need to step up and give it their all - and I assume they are all watching. So maybe they didn't come up through the ranks playing that type of game - but they could if they really wanted to win as much as they tell us they do.

But back to reality, I get the fact that some won't - but is pisses me off. They make way to much money to be mailing it in.
I agree our GM is more focused on skill set, offense numbers than he is on player character / compete and how they might all fit together as a team.

To be fair to Chevy, it's a lot easier to entice the type of guys you want to Florida than Winnipeg
But he still needs to be aware of who he is signing and how they fit to support the game plan the coaches are running.
I have to agree with @ecolad on the fact that GM's do not get a free pass because they are managing the Jets

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

It's pretty obvious watching the hockey played right now, that players need to step up and give it their all - and I assume they are all watching. So maybe they didn't come up through the ranks playing that type of game - but they could if they really wanted to win as much as they tell us they do.

But back to reality, I get the fact that some won't - but is pisses me off. They make way to much money to be mailing it in.
I agree our GM is more focused on skill set, offense numbers than he is on player character / compete and how they might all fit together as a team.

But he still needs to be aware of who he is signing and how they fit to support the game plan the coaches are running.
I have to agree with @ecolad on the fact that GM's do not get a free pass because they are managing the Jets
Better to have a less talented team that buys in and has an identity than more skill who don’t fit an identity, even if it equals same number of wins. I don’t think ehlers fits whatever this is.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

I went back and re-read my original post and for some reason I couldn't find where I said that Chevy gets a free pass. Maybe you can point it out

All that I said was that some destinations will be easier to entice talent to than others and that makes one GM's job easier than another's. Just a fact.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I went back and re-read my original post and for some reason I couldn't find where I said that Chevy gets a free pass. Maybe you can point it out

All that I said was that some destinations will be easier to entice talent to than others and that makes one GM's job easier than another's. Just a fact.
I was simply agreeing with Ecolad (which is why I tagged him in the posts) - didn't intend to put those words in your mouth - more of a statement on my opinion (since eco didn't say that either).
As for Chevy, I do think he needs to spend more time thinking about the type of player we need to support the game plan we use - and that isn't necessarily the skill end of it.

Reactions: Buffdog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad