Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Talking only about the playoffs for the third pairing by playing Stan with Snerg on his off side.

They were the least inpactful pairing of any pairing that saw over 100 minutes in the regular season. It should have told the coaches all that they needed to know.

I thought they should have gone with either Stan or Snerg with Schmidt as both combos played well together.
Snerg - Schmidt kicked ass for much of the season in their sheltered role

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Talking only about the playoffs for the third pairing by playing Stan with Snerg on his off side.

They were the least inpactful pairing of any pairing that saw over 100 minutes in the regular season. It should have told the coaches all that they needed to know.

I thought they should have gone with either Stan or Snerg with Schmidt as both combos played well together.
That group of players were better some nights and off on others - there were times with Smitty was in that they were horrible.
So I don't agree that it was one pairing or another - they all struggled at different times and the few games in the playoffs are not a good gauge considering how the Aves pretty much dismantled all of them.

So, if you are comparing those PO games to 100 reg season games, then you are referring to the reg season.
And my point was, the reg season pairing were all over the place with differing results.

Snerg - Schmidt kicked ass for much of the season in their sheltered role
But later in the season Smitty's wheels fell off and Stan was in - and looks good in a number of those games.

• Haha
Reactions: MardyBum

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think Chevy is going to be aggressive upgrading the blue line, adding a guy like Chychrun or Pulock if he can. There was a lot of smoke on deadline day about him wanting to upgrade there so he's definitely not 100% happy with how it is now.

There could be something to that with the lack of news on Dillon/DeMelo negotiations - may want to see what he can swing on the trade market before July 1

Reactions: roccerfeller

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Chevy is going to be aggressive upgrading the blue line, adding a guy like Chychrun or Pulock if he can. There was a lot of smoke on deadline day about him wanting to upgrade there so he's definitely not 100% happy with how it is now.

There could be something to that with the lack of news on Dillon/DeMelo negotiations - may want to see what he can swing on the trade market before July 1

Given the rumblings of problems in the room I wonder if a player like Chabot might become available before his NTC kicks in this July. He's making $8 million and I'd love to have him anchor our second pairing behind JoMo.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I could see a guy like Nick Jensen being a target if De Melo walks...somebody the HC is familiar with...similar type player.

We simply need to move on from Big Stan. He’s not part of the solution, here.
Scares me to think that the defense could get smaller...these playoffs with so much interference being run by d-men, and physicality winning, makes me want to see the Jets get a bit bigger and tougher...Ville Heinola is a completely opposite direction.

Reactions: TS Quint

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Scares me to think that the defense could get smaller...these playoffs with so much interference being run by d-men, and physicality winning, makes me want to see the Jets get a bit bigger and tougher...Ville Heinola is a completely opposite direction.
I agree -
Size matters on the blue line - it's not everything but is absolutely a plus.
Sometimes a little skill will over shadow that need - as though taking pucks away from the offense is not something that needs to happen before your "skilled" blueliners can do much of anything on outlets or playmaking.
We were large back there way back when - and very effective.
Stan's not the answer but you can see why they are taking their time cutting the chord with him - we toss him aside and Samberg might be our 'big" dman - he does not play anything close to a physical game.
Hoping we can find some help somewhere - and they have some size to go along with their skill. I know Helle would approve.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I agree -
Size matters on the blue line - it's not everything but is absolutely a plus.
Sometimes a little skill will over shadow that need - as though taking pucks away from the offense is not something that needs to happen before your "skilled" blueliners can do much of anything on outlets or playmaking.
We were large back there way back when - and very effective.
Stan's not the answer but you can see why they are taking their time cutting the chord with him - we toss him aside and Samberg might be our 'big" dman - he does not play anything close to a physical game.
Hoping we can find some help somewhere - and they have some size to go along with their skill. I know Helle would approve.
Stans physical play just cost us penalties though... sambergs style is more aligned with the modern nhl

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Theres a story on Tyler Toffoli, the blog name: "Eyes on the Isles"

Really 🤣

I guess his floating one dimensional goalscoring could fit with a high end play driving playmaker like Barzal. Horvat on that line could do the defensive heavy lifting.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I guess his floating one dimensional goalscoring could fit with a high end play driving playmaker like Barzal. Horvat on that line could do the defensive heavy lifting.
I think the Isles are going to be interesting this offseason...Trotz coached them into a defensive team that was good enough to get to the ECF twice in fanless playoffs.

I guarantee Patrick Roy will want to have more speed in the lineup, that's why I see the Isles being heavily interested in Ehlers. Ehlers-Horvat-Barzal now that's a skating line. Toffoli could end up anywhere really. 33 goals now is an achievement. He sure seemed like he wanted out of Winnipeg come playoff time.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think the Isles are going to be interesting this offseason...Trotz coached them into a defensive team that was good enough to get to the ECF twice in fanless playoffs.

I guarantee Patrick Roy will want to have more speed in the lineup, that's why I see the Isles being heavily interested in Ehlers. Ehlers-Horvat-Barzal now that's a skating line. Toffoli could end up anywhere really. 33 goals now is an achievement. He sure seemed like he wanted out of Winnipeg come playoff time.

Agreed.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Stans physical play just cost us penalties though... sambergs style is more aligned with the modern nhl
Stan does take a lot of penalties - and many of them are because of his size and not his game.
He still needs to learn what gets called on tall guys and to avoid high hits / cross checks.
Samberg plays a "modern NHL" style? If that is the term now being used to describe less physical, then I would agree with you.

Regardless, I'm just pointing out why the Jets might want Stan in the lineup - it's really a no brainer. It wasn't my intention to compare him to Samberg but I might have. I really like Samberg and his game - I just don't think he is a physical Dman and plays a relatively soft game for a Dman of his size - I wish he had more of a mean streak in him.

Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Stan does take a lot of penalties - and many of them are because of his size and not his game.
He still needs to learn what gets called on tall guys and to avoid high hits / cross checks.
Samberg plays a "modern NHL" style? If that is the term now being used to describe less physical, then I would agree with you.

Regardless, I'm just pointing out why the Jets might want Stan in the lineup - it's really a no brainer. It wasn't my intention to compare him to Samberg but I might have. I really like Samberg and his game - I just don't think he is a physical Dman and plays a relatively soft game for a Dman of his size - I wish he had more of a mean streak in him.
I like the way samberg boxes guys out - and not against Stan but playing samberg on his offside didn't help anyone and Stan has run out of time for the 'learning the game' excuse... he's just too slow and no one can change that

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I like the way samberg boxes guys out - and not against Stan but playing samberg on his offside didn't help anyone and Stan has run out of time for the 'learning the game' excuse... he's just too slow and no one can change that
I don't know, it still seems like he can be effective in controlled matchups. Literally, you lose Stanley, on top of De Melo and Dillon, and you have Samberg and Pionk left as PKers...until Josh Morrissey starts killing penalties again...Samberg's PK strength is blocking shots, which is timing, staying in lanes. Both Samberg and Pionk can box out the average NHLer, but the bigger or feistier guys will pose a challenge...I think Chevy may have a real challenge on his hands to improve special teams this offseason.

Reactions: LowLefty

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I don't see Stan in either other than maybe the PB - and he would be there as a physical option if needed.
Ville likely takes his spot if he can play in this league and that's yet to be confirmed.
And that takes us back full circle on the discussion - we are getting smaller on the blueline and that's not a good thing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't see Stan in either other than maybe the PB - and he would be there as a physical option if needed.
Ville likely takes his spot if he can play in this league and that's yet to be confirmed.
And that takes us back full circle on the discussion - we are getting smaller on the blueline and that's not a good thing.

I expect Chevy to trade for a bigger dmen this summer.

Poluck, Chychrun, my pipe dream Chabot are all large, but are mobile and have skill.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

Poluck, Chychrun, my pipe dream Chabot are all large, but are mobile and have skill.
according to seravelli the sens would rather move chabot over chychrun but don't think they can

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Yeah, I think he needs to - we are going to be smaller back there unless he does - and that leads to the same issues we already have (only worse).
We struggled a ton LY when hemmed in and our PK had a lot of trouble with middle ice coverage - a lot of that related to our ability to take the puck back before even considering outlets.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Interesting. I'd take Chabot over Chychrun but maybe the contract is prohibitive
Chabot's NTC doesn't kick in until July 1. Maybe something at the draft?

Not sure how his salary fits into our structure, plus him being a lefty doesn't do anything to help our issues on the right side

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chabot's NTC doesn't kick in until July 1. Maybe something at the draft?

Not sure how his salary fits into our structure, plus him being a lefty doesn't do anything to help our issues on the right side

My thinking is you probably don't need as good RD if you have high end LD to carry the respective first and second pairings.

Maybe something like this:

JoMo DeMelo
Chychrun Miller
Snerg Pionk

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

All have some form of NTCs. Which is the nemesis of the Jets. I like the idea of getting Justin Barron out of Montreal for a 2nd round pick which the Isles will surely dole out, as trade capital, and if I am not mistaken Chevy is quoted as saying he will improve the team using draft picks. Gives some competition so Ville Heinola isn't just gifted a spot next season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lillegren is available either after a disappointing playoffs in the high pressure Leafs market.

But I'd be looking at a guy who maybe plays 3rd pairing with Stan, or whoever replaces him. Can PK, putting competition on Pionk's ice time, and somebody who could play top pairing with Josh too, when the team is looking for offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: roccerfeller

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
All have some form of NTCs. Which is the nemesis of the Jets. I like the idea of getting Justin Barron out of Montreal for a 2nd round pick which the Isles will surely dole out, as trade capital, and if I am not mistaken Chevy is quoted as saying he will improve the team using draft picks. Gives some competition so Ville Heinola isn't just gifted a spot next season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lillegren is available either after a disappointing playoffs in the high pressure Leafs market.

But I'd be looking at a guy who maybe plays 3rd pairing with Stan, or whoever replaces him. Can PK, putting competition on Pionk's ice time, and somebody who could play top pairing with Josh too, when the team is looking for offense.

Chabot's doesn't kick in until July 1

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
My thinking is you probably don't need as good RD if you have high end LD to carry the respective first and second pairings.

Maybe something like this:

JoMo DeMelo
Chychrun Miller
Snerg Pionk
I'd like to see what Snerg on the 2nd pairing with a competent partner looks like before expending assets on another LHD. With gaping holes at 2C amd the right side, any assets should be used to address those IMHO

I think we're looking at another year of Pionk at 2RHD while Salo plays a year on the Moose OR we sign a guy who can push Pionk down to the 3rd pairing and then stay in the 2/ RD spots the next year as Salo graduates to the show

Of course, re-signing Demelo is the big priority

Next year:
Jomo Demelo
Snerg Placeholder
Heinola Pionk (eek)

Following year:
Jomo Demelo
Snerg salo/placeholder
Heinola placeholder/salo

Reactions: WolfHouse
Status
Not open for further replies.