Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Man I really like Monahan. He added so many things to our team we sorely needed and losing him we’re kinda back to square 1

But

In a hypothetical universe where Ehlers wants to stay with the Jets, but Monahans contract would take away his $$, what do you do?

I’d lean towards keeping Ehlers myself.

Regarding the D men situation, Dillon sounded on the Vancouver area radio station that he was happy with the Jets but is poised to hit UFA

Only way I see Dillon prioritized over DeMelo is if we can’t afford DeMelo but can afford Dillon. He did have many positives to say about the Jets and kept using the terms “us” and “our team”; “fun season” etc…I know he’s still a Jet until July 1 but it didn’t seem disingenuous at all and he did say he felt he was a big part of the team (end of season interviews). DeMelo felt similarly but if his agent is pricing him out of an extension with us then not much we can do. We can’t handicap our team’s overall competitiveness either

I'd more than "lean" toward keeping Ehlers. There are 3 sets of circumstances where I would part with Ehlers. 1. Out of sight contract demand. 2. Some team makes us an offer we can't refuse. 3. The most likely one, he won't extend here.

We should be keeping both Dillon and DeMelo assuming reasonable contracts can be negotiated. I haven't heard anything about contract demands from either of them. Last I heard the Jets had not discussed contract with either one. That may have changed by now.

But if people offer you a top pairing D then you get mono as a nice bonus if u trade Ehlers.

That top pairing D will come with a contract cost too.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd more than "lean" toward keeping Ehlers. There are 3 sets of circumstances where I would part with Ehlers. 1. Out of sight contract demand. 2. Some team makes us an offer we can't refuse. 3. The most likely one, he won't extend here.

We should be keeping both Dillon and DeMelo assuming reasonable contracts can be negotiated. I haven't heard anything about contract demands from either of them. Last I heard the Jets had not discussed contract with either one. That may have changed by now.

That top pairing D will come with a contract cost too.
For a top d, you make space the way you wouldn’t for ehlers. Especially a young one like Faber.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thank you negative Nancy!!

From a fan standpoint, I don't see any problems - if he gets injured LTIR him... TNSE has cash. If he doesn't, I'm pretty sure you still get him at say 4.5-5m which is very fair even for 3-4 years.

The next step is to stop using Lowry as our second line centre... and get Nino in the top six as a power forward - he can still drive play

Wish all the chatter would be focused on buying out Pionk rather than trading Ehlers... we seem poised to lose a zone entries and speed while we keep two overpaid 6th dmen

Keeping him as an 'own-rental' on say Ehlers-Names-Vilardi line... and actually rolling four lines would make the most sense to me instead of a 1st and 2nd rounder from NYI

NYI 1st & 2nd rounders are nowhere in the ball park. Its not like they would be top 10, or even top 15 picks. The value just isn't there. Not even close.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Contract year Pionk is a pretty good d man 😉

I'd be happy to see him play out the deal here or maybe set him up as deadline fodder.
Considering that De Melo, Dillon, Monahan, Brossoit and Capo all had career years this season at the end of their contacts, Pionk is a 40 point d-man in a career year. Career years out of Vilardi, Samberg, Appleton, Iafallo, Namestnikov, Barron among others would go a long way to the team's success...

Reactions: Channelcat

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
My crystal ball is out of order, can't do exact numbers. Part of what makes it difficult is that we have so little information on alternative scenarios - however, the outline remains the same as always: Ehlers-Scheifele-X, second line Connor, top 6 Nino, third line X and X to play with Lowry. We know nothing about our prospects due to nobody having been given a shot, so experiment with different Xs and find out what works. As for defense, let Stanley go and replace with literally any prospect in the org. The goalies will undoubtedly be worse than last year, so here's hoping that we can offset most of the impact with that.

Right, which is about what I've been saying for the last three years. The only ones who are seemingly unaware of this are Connor apologists, Ehlers haters, and our entire front office (thus far).

Fine by me. Declan Chish

When your line plays the second most on the team, those conversion issues become a problem. That said, I'd much rather have this problem than... well, the first line producing less chances with more talented players.
I think a lot of fans want more offense, but no line grinds offensive zone shifts like Lowry's starting from a defensive position. Defense we need PKers more than anything...I think I said it at the start of last year a team that scores 3 per game, allows 2.5 per game is a playoff team...Jets exceeded my expectations, but there is room for improvement on both sides of special teams...Chisholm wasn't a pker, Heinola will amaze me if he becomes one. Josh might lose offensive production if he takes on that role...other than Samberg who is a good PKer on the blueline next year?

Reactions: John Agar

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
What do you guys think Perfetti's offensive ceiling is???

I'm very intrigued to see how he turns out for u guys

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think a lot of fans want more offense, but no line grinds offensive zone shifts like Lowry's starting from a defensive position. Defense we need PKers more than anything...I think I said it at the start of last year a team that scores 3 per game, allows 2.5 per game is a playoff team...Jets exceeded my expectations, but there is room for improvement on both sides of special teams...Chisholm wasn't a pker, Heinola will amaze me if he becomes one. Josh might lose offensive production if he takes on that role...other than Samberg who is a good PKer on the blueline next year?

Heinola has spent a lot of time on the PK on the Moose. Given we use Pionk and Schmidt on the PK I see no reason why we can't use Ville. Why bother to train these guys if you aren't going to use them.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I was a big fan of Monahan when we acquired him, big upgrade over Namestikov as a 2C.

After how the playoffs went, I might be exhausting other options before signing him, especially if he's asking alot. Not because he was bad, but because we really need someone gritty or someone with more speed in that 2C spot if we're going to be a contender.

Big job for Chevy this off season. Huge holes to fill at 2C and RHD.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What do you guys think Perfetti's offensive ceiling is???

I'm very intrigued to see how he turns out for u guys
Active players who put up similar points/game as he did in his 20 year old season: Scheifele, Duclair, Cogliano, Necas, Fabbri, Jeff Skinner, Keller, Suzuki, Konecny, Stankoven, Lucic, Saad, Point.

Active players who put up similar points/game as he did in his 21 year old season: Hischier, Chytil, Bratt, JVR, Perry, Farabee, Ho-Sang, Burakovsky.

This year was a bit of a letdown. Perfetti had a slump of about 20 games in January/February where nothing was going for him, and during and after that he was jerked around a bit (healthy scratched, stuck on the 4th line, no powerplay time).

I think he'll be at least a 60 point guy. If the stars align and he can stay healthy, then 80 points?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Active players who put up similar points/game as he did in his 20 year old season: Scheifele, Duclair, Cogliano, Necas, Fabbri, Jeff Skinner, Keller, Suzuki, Konecny, Stankoven, Lucic, Saad, Point.

Active players who put up similar points/game as he did in his 21 year old season: Hischier, Chytil, Bratt, JVR, Perry, Farabee, Ho-Sang, Burakovsky.

This year was a bit of a letdown. Perfetti had a slump of about 20 games in January/February where nothing was going for him, and during and after that he was jerked around a bit (healthy scratched, stuck on the 4th line, no powerplay time).

I think he'll be at least a 60 point guy. If the stars align and he can stay healthy, then 80 points?

Agreed. I think his ceiling is an Aho type 2 way ppg player. No telling if he gets there.

I expect 60 points next year as that is what he was pacing the first half of this year. I expect he learned from his slump.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021

Would be huge if he could develop into a prime Stastny level player. Both very high IQ players who make their line mates better.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
NYI 1st & 2nd rounders are nowhere in the ball park. Its not like they would be top 10, or even top 15 picks. The value just isn't there. Not even c

Heinola has spent a lot of time on the PK on the Moose. Given we use Pionk and Schmidt on the PK I see no reason why we can't use Ville. Why bother to train these guys if you aren't going to use them.
The goal this year on the Moose was to develop Heinola and Lundmark into shutdown d men...They were the first unit pairing on the PK...I think Lundmark is a better PK than Heinola because he is over 200 lbs and skates well, can win board battles...I would say Ville is maybe a spot duty PKer in the NHL, his ticket is offense. Pionk battles hard out there...he's not the worst PKer out there...he and Samberg have a couple of years experience in that role together and I think the coaches like him more than fans and analytics ..If Ville becomes the PP2 QB, Pionk will have to earn his pay cheques with a few ice packs...

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm not saying it isn't. But is this true?
I can't support my opinion statistically but you go back to Perfetti's rookie season and he and Connor were connecting with Dubois as the centre...I think a lot of people at the time thought that was the future, and analytics even said Perfetti was good defensively...

Ehlers doesn't have the net drive that KC does, which complements Perfetti's passing game...Alot of Ehlers zone entries end with him curling back above the circles. If there is no seam, it's likely that pucks go into corners. Forcing some digging, which isn't Cole's strength.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The goal this year on the Moose was to develop Heinola and Lundmark into shutdown d men...They were the first unit pairing on the PK...I think Lundmark is a better PK than Heinola because he is over 200 lbs and skates well, can win board battles...I would say Ville is maybe a spot duty PKer in the NHL, his ticket is offense. Pionk battles hard out there...he's not the worst PKer out there...he and Samberg have a couple of years experience in that role together and I think the coaches like him more than fans and analytics ..If Ville becomes the PP2 QB, Pionk will have to earn his pay cheques with a few ice packs...
Ville isn't even on the roster yet and he's PK/PP already - this guy is so over rated on the board is laughable.
I'd like to see him turn into a NHL player too but will wait until he can stick before proclaiming him anything other than a 3rd pair maybe

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
This has been true since we lost Little, Trouba and Byfuglien.
I'm optimistic that Lambert and Salomonsson can help. Jets need more on top of that.
Best way to accomplish that is being aggressive and probably creative with a trade of Pionk to open up cap space and a Schmidt buyout to really Revamp that defense. Don’t just paint over the rust.

Reactions: Orrrules

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I can't support my opinion statistically but you go back to Perfetti's rookie season and he and Connor were connecting with Dubois as the centre...I think a lot of people at the time thought that was the future, and analytics even said Perfetti was good defensively...

Ehlers doesn't have the net drive that KC does, which complements Perfetti's passing game...Alot of Ehlers zone entries end with him curling back above the circles. If there is no seam, it's likely that pucks go into corners. Forcing some digging, which isn't Cole's strength.

He works well with both wingers but he seems to be one of the few players that can keep KC a net positive goal and possesion differential player.

I think he does have better offensive chemistry with KC because both like to rotate and find soft ice. It's why Cole also works great with Scheifele as well.

Him and Ehelers played well together but Fly's offensive game clashes to some extent with everyone in the top 6. The biggest thing they had going is they barely spent time in their end.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Ville isn't even on the roster yet and he's PK/PP already - this guy is so over rated on the board is laughable.
I'd like to see him turn into a NHL player too but will wait until he can stick before proclaiming him anything other than a 3rd pair maybe
I really don't know what to expect. That whole 1st round draft class of d-men other than Seider and Harley have had some struggles at the next level. I agree you have to make it first, find your role.

Reactions: LowLefty

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I mean given their reluctance to play JoMo on the PK to optimize his usage elsewhere they would likely have to play Ville on the PK if he makes it. Also given the performance of our dmen on the pp it should be an open competition for secon unit playing time imo.

I guess it depends on how you define overrated. I have him in Schmidts spot on the bottom pairing. I think that is reasonable.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I mean given their reluctance to play JoMo on the PK to optimize his usage elsewhere they would likely have to play Ville on the PK if he makes it. Also given the performance of our dmen on the pp it should be an open competition for secon unit playing time imo.

I guess it depends on how you define overrated. I have him in Schmidts spot on the bottom pairing. I think that is reasonable.
All I'm really saying is that I would wait and see if he can handle the NHL before slotting him in anywhere or comparing him to players that are actually playing NHL hockey.
He still has not proven that yet - any discussion beyond making the roster is premature IMO.
He gets a lot of props around here - personally, I don't get it.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
All I'm really saying is that I would wait and see if he can handle the NHL before slotting him in anywhere or comparing him to players that are actually playing NHL hockey.
He still has not proven that yet - any discussion beyond making the roster is premature IMO.
He gets a lot of props around here - personally, I don't get it.

When it comes to sticking on the bottom pairing, often it’s just opportunity that defines “if’ you can play in the NHL. Injuries happen and those 7-8 Stanley types get their minutes and all of a sudden they are NHL D men (or not)? If injuries don’t happen then it looks like they are just press box types.

Guys that couldn’t quite squeeze in here have gone on to play regularly on other NHL teams bottom pair. I am not beating a drum saying they should still be here but it ends up we had less room here because our Org had committed to winning now and brought in a layer of vets to fill our top 6 (Dillon and DeMelo).

Ville is at a point now that he can’t be sent back and forth to the AHL so like Stanley, Kovi, Declan at this same stage the org will needs to commit to Ville on the big club or move on from him.

What I saw last year in preseason in Ville I believe was good enough for the NHL but time will tell if he can put it together again this fall and mostly on whom our org lets walk or not from last years top 6.

Not sure what the future will be for either Ville or big Stan but luck and timing will be big factors like it is for so many tweeners.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
When it comes to sticking on the bottom pairing, often it’s just opportunity that defines “if’ you can play in the NHL. Injuries happen and those 7-8 Stanley types get their minutes and all of a sudden they are NHL D men (or not)? If injuries don’t happen then it looks like they are just press box types.

Guys that couldn’t quite squeeze in here have gone on to play regularly on other NHL teams bottom pair. I am not beating a drum saying they should still be here but it ends up we had less room here because our Org had committed to winning now and brought in a layer of vets to fill our top 6 (Dillon and DeMelo).

Ville is at a point now that he can’t be sent back and forth to the AHL so like Stanley, Kovi, Declan at this same stage the org will needs to commit to Ville on the big club or move on from him.

What I saw last year in preseason in Ville I believe was good enough for the NHL but time will tell if he can put it together again this fall and mostly on whom our org lets walk or not from last years top 6.

Not sure what the future will be for either Ville or big Stan but luck and timing will be big factors like it is for so many tweeners.
We simply need to move on from Big Stan. He’s not part of the solution, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad