Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
But whoever we trade Ehlers for has a big cap hit, unless they aren't that good. So it doesn't quite add up I don't think. ALso since Monahan is ufa, his cap money can just be spent elsewhere, it doesn't have to be him at all
You are right, bout expensive D. Maybe Ehlers for a high 1st would have been better.
Regarding mono.
Except it can only spent it on a player who wants to be here.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Stamkos is maybe going UFA, let's sign him!

Connor - Scheif - Vilardi
Perfetti - Stamkos - Ehlers

Or maybe Chandler Stephenson?

Or if he's more affordable bringing back Monahan would be cool. It would nice to at least have the depth to not keep giving away 1st round picks for centers haha.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Stamkos is maybe going UFA, let's sign him!

Connor - Scheif - Vilardi
Perfetti - Stamkos - Ehlers

Or maybe Chandler Stephenson?

Or if he's more affordable bringing back Monahan would be cool. It would nice to at least have the depth to not keep giving away 1st round picks for centers haha.

I honestly don’t see Stamkos not retiring as a member of the Lightning. They’ll move some cap and he’ll probably take a team friendly deal to stay. He’s a Lightning lifer.

I hope he stays there. Always liked him. Have an old style Lightning Stamkos jersey.

Reactions: Buffdog

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Man I really like Monahan. He added so many things to our team we sorely needed and losing him we’re kinda back to square 1

But

In a hypothetical universe where Ehlers wants to stay with the Jets, but Monahans contract would take away his $$, what do you do?

I’d lean towards keeping Ehlers myself.

Regarding the D men situation, Dillon sounded on the Vancouver area radio station that he was happy with the Jets but is poised to hit UFA

Only way I see Dillon prioritized over DeMelo is if we can’t afford DeMelo but can afford Dillon. He did have many positives to say about the Jets and kept using the terms “us” and “our team”; “fun season” etc…I know he’s still a Jet until July 1 but it didn’t seem disingenuous at all and he did say he felt he was a big part of the team (end of season interviews). DeMelo felt similarly but if his agent is pricing him out of an extension with us then not much we can do. We can’t handicap our team’s overall competitiveness either
I’m confident the DeMelo contract gets done. He genuinely sounds like he loves his role on this team and wants to be here. Don’t think he’s going to try to gouge Chevy in negotiations.

Dillon has the characteristics and play style teams like to over pay for so I can see him having more than a few suitors and picking a place good for his family.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Man I really like Monahan. He added so many things to our team we sorely needed and losing him we’re kinda back to square 1

But

In a hypothetical universe where Ehlers wants to stay with the Jets, but Monahans contract would take away his $$, what do you do?

I’d lean towards keeping Ehlers myself.

Regarding the D men situation, Dillon sounded on the Vancouver area radio station that he was happy with the Jets but is poised to hit UFA

Only way I see Dillon prioritized over DeMelo is if we can’t afford DeMelo but can afford Dillon. He did have many positives to say about the Jets and kept using the terms “us” and “our team”; “fun season” etc…I know he’s still a Jet until July 1 but it didn’t seem disingenuous at all and he did say he felt he was a big part of the team (end of season interviews). DeMelo felt similarly but if his agent is pricing him out of an extension with us then not much we can do. We can’t handicap our team’s overall competitiveness either
I think a guy who puts up points on the PP and win faceoffs is more valuable than zone entries...especially with some good winger depth...signing Monahan and being able to trade Ehlers for draft picks (if the Isles rumour is true maybe a 1st and 2nd this year) offers Chevy some trade capital. If the Jets re-sign De Melo I think you can get creative with some of the players you could maybe land with a high 2nd round pick to offer.

I think Dillon is going to the Coast this offseason.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think a guy who puts up points on the PP and win faceoffs is more valuable than zone entries...especially with some good winger depth...signing Monahan and being able to trade Ehlers for draft picks (if the Isles rumour is true maybe a 1st and 2nd this year) offers Chevy some trade capital. If the Jets re-sign De Melo I think you can get creative with some of the players you could maybe land with a high 2nd round pick to offer.

I like the Ehlers for Pulock rumor...

Reactions: voyageur

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hopefully Monahan signs. Jets need a solid 2C. No one else is better than won't cost the Jets a draft pick and an asset, even if there's any.

Scheifele
Monahan
Lowry

Is not a bad center depth.
Eh, definitely not "go far in the playoffs" quality imo.

Maybe Arniel switches it up, adds more defensive ability to Scheifele's line, more offensive ability to Lowry's, balances them out a bit more.

But you've got a defensively flawed 1C, an offensively flawed 2C, and then Monahan who spent the last 5 or so years being flawed at both outside his short contract year run.

Is KC going to be playing on the third line to carry Monahan down the ice to shoot 19% at 5v5 next year?

If they can get him on a shorter term deal and don't have a problem moving him to the wing if better options appear at C, maybe yeah. He could still take the faceoffs. I feel like absolutely everything went 100% right for Monahan this season after the trade and there's really nowhere to go but down. I'm not sure he has another gear to ramp up to. Maybe another full (assuming healthy) offseason of training gets him back to being a bit more impactful.

Guess we'll see what the cap hit is and if it allows the Jets to do anything else once they trade Ehlers.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Hopefully Monahan signs. Jets need a solid 2C. No one else is better than won't cost the Jets a draft pick and an asset, even if there's any.

Scheifele
Monahan
Lowry

Is not a bad center depth.

How about Chandler Stephenson instead? He can skate better than monohan and has 3 50pt plus seasons in a row, vs monahan's string of 20 point. I guess it depends what the scouts think of monohan, if this year was for real or if he will regress. Also if they believe in him to be better in the playoffs

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
I honestly don’t see Stamkos not retiring as a member of the Lightning. They’ll move some cap and he’ll probably take a team friendly deal to stay. He’s a Lightning lifer.

I hope he stays there. Always liked him. Have an old style Lightning Stamkos jersey.
I thought that back in the day with Lecavalier too and he ended up moving. (although a completely different scenario)
I highly doubt that Stamkos would ever consider playing up north after spending his entire career in Florida. There will be many takers who will be willing to pay this guy some serious coin that the Jets wouldn't be able to afford for cap reasons.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Could be, but he seemed very open to staying. Maybe he wants more then the team is comfortable paying.

^This

But how much SHOULD they be comfortable paying, considering that he is the only top 4 RHD we have.

I like the guy but that's a bit much for him. All the power to him if he can cash in like that.

I agree that 6 mil is too much for DeMelo - but he has been functioning as a top pair RHD for the past few years.

I'd rather pay DeMelo 6 mil than pay it to either Pionk or Schmidt.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The main reason to overpay for Monahan is so that we stop using our 1st round draft picks at the deadline to plug the 2nd line centre spot. Other than that I don’t really care all that much.

Coaches are obsessed with face offs and Sean is the best we have had at it so I see the Jets pushing for a deal.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Complaining about a GM losing a 7th (and to be honest, Kova was probably 9th) dman to waivers is like turning down sex from a supermodel becaue you think one of her tits is a little bigger than the other

Some people will always find something to nitpick about

That's a ridiculous analogy.

Kova was and is probably better than the guy who has been filling our #6 slot so it doesn't matter one bit that you think he is a 9th.

I guess the only way to get a prospect as good as Schief is to draft top 5. As it is rare that we draft the next big thing.

Not the only way but the most likely.

Reactions: Bigfish

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Right. And let's remember that Scheifele wasn't our #1C until he was and that was essentially forced because Bryan Little was out for some time. Maybe not signing Sean Monahan forces our hand to just give a younger guy the time they need.

I get frustrated watching teams like Dallas continually giving young players important minutes - and succeeding. We can do this too.
dallas' young players/prospects are on a different level comparatively id say.

heiskanen*, oettinger, robertson, harley, johnston, stankoven

vs (the Jets similar players in age or draft pick # who have played)

ves, samberg, heinola, perfetti

*heiskanen is a bit of the outlier since he was 3rd OA.

idk who folks want to see in the line-up in terms of prospects right now that gives us similar returns or stats like the dallas players, & who are you taking out of the Jets' line up? ie: is Chibrikov or Lucius over X Top-6 player a big improvement or similar to Dallas?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

And when Monahan's line doesn't get to the offensive zone and doesn't draw penalties due to the lack of possession and foot speed, what are we going to do with that draft capital? Or with Monahan, for that matter.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
dallas' young players/prospects are on a different level comparatively id say.

heiskanen*, oettinger, robertson, harley, johnston, stankoven

vs (the Jets similar players in age or draft pick # who have played)

ves, samberg, heinola, perfetti

*heiskanen is a bit of the outlier since he was 3rd OA.

idk who folks want to see in the line-up in terms of prospects right now that gives us similar returns or stats like the dallas players, & who are you taking out of the Jets' line up? ie: is Chibrikov or Lucius over X Top-6 player a big improvement or similar to Dallas?
We can start from nuking the first line, as it loses its 5v5 matchups, and replacing guys with the Chibs and Chazes. Then, we continue with somehow convincing Heinola to not leave for Europe and give him 20 minutes a night in perpetuity - you'd know that as the Pionk treatment. Finally, abolish the Lowry line, start running three offensive lines like Dallas does, distribute the 5v5 minutes evenly between the three, and promote prospects as needed.

Dallas has roughly done all of that, going from a Benn/Seguin/Radulov-driven core to a much wider one featuring a lot of young talent that performs with good consistency. They also didn't get afraid of promoting Harley when Heiskanen had health issues last year - we would never do that with Morrissey and Heinola. And if your answer to this is again "but their prospects are better", read this line from above:

We can start from nuking the first line, as it loses its 5v5 matchups, and replacing guys with the Chibs and Chazes.
Our most highly trusted, overpaid and overplayed roster players have been shit. What's the harm in replacing them with other shit?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Eh, definitely not "go far in the playoffs" quality imo.

Maybe Arniel switches it up, adds more defensive ability to Scheifele's line, more offensive ability to Lowry's, balances them out a bit more.

But you've got a defensively flawed 1C, an offensively flawed 2C, and then Monahan who spent the last 5 or so years being flawed at both outside his short contract year run.

Is KC going to be playing on the third line to carry Monahan down the ice to shoot 19% at 5v5 next year?

If they can get him on a shorter term deal and don't have a problem moving him to the wing if better options appear at C, maybe yeah. He could still take the faceoffs. I feel like absolutely everything went 100% right for Monahan this season after the trade and there's really nowhere to go but down. I'm not sure he has another gear to ramp up to. Maybe another full (assuming healthy) offseason of training gets him back to being a bit more impactful.

Guess we'll see what the cap hit is and if it allows the Jets to do anything else once they trade Ehlers.
Thank you negative Nancy!!

From a fan standpoint, I don't see any problems - if he gets injured LTIR him... TNSE has cash. If he doesn't, I'm pretty sure you still get him at say 4.5-5m which is very fair even for 3-4 years.

The next step is to stop using Lowry as our second line centre... and get Nino in the top six as a power forward - he can still drive play

Wish all the chatter would be focused on buying out Pionk rather than trading Ehlers... we seem poised to lose a zone entries and speed while we keep two overpaid 6th dmen

Keeping him as an 'own-rental' on say Ehlers-Names-Vilardi line... and actually rolling four lines would make the most sense to me instead of a 1st and 2nd rounder from NYI

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We can start from nuking the first line, as it loses its 5v5 matchups, and replacing guys with the Chibs and Chazes. Then, we continue with somehow convincing Heinola to not leave for Europe and give him 20 minutes a night in perpetuity - you'd know that as the Pionk treatment. Finally, abolish the Lowry line, start running three offensive lines like Dallas does, distribute the 5v5 minutes evenly between the three, and promote prospects as needed.

Dallas has roughly done all of that, going from a Benn/Seguin/Radulov-driven core to a much wider one featuring a lot of young talent that performs with good consistency. They also didn't get afraid of promoting Harley when Heiskanen had health issues last year - we would never do that with Morrissey and Heinola. And if your answer to this is again "but their prospects are better", read this line from above:

Our most highly trusted, overpaid and overplayed roster players have been shit. What's the harm in replacing them with other shit?

I appreciate that you want to go full blown youth movement but some of these kids need more time. Chibrikov has a lot of talent but still needs some consistency. He also is poor in his end as his team second worse -18 on the Moose shows. I don't want him to be a liability like KC. I want him to be competent there and good offensively. I think he needs some more time to grow his game and there isn't anything wrong with that.

I think with Lambert you could make a case for either path. I think he could benefit from a half a year in the AHL to further round out his game. He could also do well in a sheltered scoring role with some good vets.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I appreciate that you want to go full blown youth movement but some of these kids need more time.
Did I say that? I was just telling the poster in question how to get prospects into the lineup.

The fact that we give them no chances to prove that they deserve it more than floaters playing 20 minutes a night without even doing as little as winning their match-ups doesn't mean that it can't be done. It might not always make sense to do it, but neither does overplaying guys who don't deserve top 6 minutes.

The only prospect of ours who I'd have promoted four years ago was Heinola, who has legitimately and inarguably been one of our top 6 defensemen in multiple occasions, including right now. But that hasn't stopped the org from thinking otherwise and taking measures to block him out, so there's that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Did I say that? I was just telling the poster in question how to get prospects into the lineup.

The fact that we give them no chances to prove that they deserve it more than floaters playing 20 minutes a night without even doing as little as winning their match-ups doesn't mean that it can't be done. It might not always make sense to do it, but neither does overplaying guys who don't deserve top 6 minutes.

Fair points.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I appreciate that you want to go full blown youth movement but some of these kids need more time. Chibrikov has a lot of talent but still needs some consistency. He also is poor in his end as his team second worse -18 on the Moose shows. I don't want him to be a liability like KC. I want him to be competent there and good offensively. I think he needs some more time to grow his game and there isn't anything wrong with that.

I think with Lambert you could make a case for either path. I think he could benefit from a half a year in the AHL to further round out his game. He could also do well in a sheltered scoring role with some good vets.
I'm voting to give him a shot at C from day one... if the Jets get the combo of Lambert-Perfetti to gel then that is the core moving forward - hopefully with Barlow on the left side

This is the last year of this 'latest core' - I want to see if we have scoring in case KFC decides to walk in 2 years

Think Gus and Barron should be given a shot on the Lowry line - there's the forechecking speed we are missing right now

The only prospect of ours who I'd have promoted four years ago was Heinola, who has legitimately and inarguably been one of our top 6 defensemen in multiple occasions, including right now. But that hasn't stopped the org from thinking otherwise and taking measures to block him out, so there's that.
Whoa are you implying Bowness somehow went full Tonya Harding on Heinola this season??!!

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad