Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Ville isn't even on the roster yet and he's PK/PP already - this guy is so over rated on the board is laughable.
I'd like to see him turn into a NHL player too but will wait until he can stick before proclaiming him anything other than a 3rd pair maybe
I don't get it either. People who keep talking about how good his "transition game" is don't know the meaning. To start transitioning from defense to offense you first need to get the puck from the other team. He's been terrible at that. His passing from his own end hasn't been good. He goes for the 80 foot pass too often. I think the idea he is this passing wizard comes from being in the offensive zone where he does look great.

I'm pulling for him. If he does figure it out that's nothing but good for the Jets. But I want to see more out of him before handing him anything.

I think Solomonsson is going to be the one to be the big surprise of training camp. I'm betting he makes the team.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
The biggest issue on D for the Jets this offseason for me is the Dillon issue. If the team let him walk that D core becomes soft as melted ice cream. Chevy will need to add at least one new D in that case with sandpaper and grit. A guy like Zadorov fits that bill, but I'd venture to say that since he and Dillon are going to be in the same range dollars wise I'd rather re-sign Dillon. I expect his new contract to be the same or less than the 3.9 he got on the last one.

As far as Heinola goes I still think he could be a diamond in the rough. If we look back a bunch of years Morrissey didn't look anywhere near what he is now when he came into the league. He still could be a wildcard if he gets to 75% of what Mo is back there and would give the Jets good puck moving on two units instead of just the top unit.

Reactions: TS Quint

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Seems like a really good kid and teammate. I would like to see him get a fresh start in another organization.
I see him as a serviceable 7th dman during the season who you don't want in your line up in the playoffs

Some will complain about a 1st round pick turning into that but it could have been worse. With the exception of Tage Thompson, nobody drafted after him in the 1st round has had a dramatically better NHL carrreer so far

Then there's Olli Juolevi lol at 5th overall lol

Reactions: ps241

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
The biggest issue on D for the Jets this offseason for me is the Dillon issue. If the team let him walk that D core becomes soft as melted ice cream. Chevy will need to add at least one new D in that case with sandpaper and grit. A guy like Zadorov fits that bill, but I'd venture to say that since he and Dillon are going to be in the same range dollars wise I'd rather re-sign Dillon. I expect his new contract to be the same or less than the 3.9 he got on the last one.

As far as Heinola goes I still think he could be a diamond in the rough. If we look back a bunch of years Morrissey didn't look anywhere near what he is now when he came into the league. He still could be a wildcard if he gets to 75% of what Mo is back there and would give the Jets good puck moving on two units instead of just the top unit.

They didn't lose to Colorado becaues of lack of D toughness. It was lack of D skating and puck moving ability. (as far as defenseman issues go)

Reactions: Buffdog and surixon

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Best way to accomplish that is being aggressive and probably creative with a trade of Pionk to open up cap space and a Schmidt buyout to really Revamp that defense. Don’t just paint over the rust.

I would love to see those 2 gone. But how do we replace them? That just becomes harder if we also lose Dillon. Yes, I know. Samberg moves up. But then who replaces Snerg on the 3rd pair? Heinola? But he is supposed to replace Schmidt at 3RD. And don't even think about also losing DeMelo.

Retain BD & DD. Then get rid of Schmidt and Pionk. Heinola plays 3RD and we are left needing to come up with 1 RD. We have some cap space at that point. It should be doable.

Reactions: Thechozen1

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
They didn't lose to Colorado becaues of lack of D toughness. It was lack of D skating and puck moving ability. (as far as defenseman issues go)

You think the failure of the Jets to clear the front of the net didn’t contribute to the many goals from the point that went in through a screen or were tipped? That didn’t make a difference?

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
You think the failure of the Jets to clear the front of the net didn’t contribute to the many goals from the point that went in through a screen or were tipped? That didn’t make a difference?

Ya, but why bring back the guy who's job that is then? For the record I like Dillon, and would be fine with him coming back. But would prefer Demelo, and making some changes to the team for next year

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Nobody has "cleared the front of the net" for 30 years now. D are taught to try to box out and tie up sticks

Trying to clear the front of the net adds another body between the shooter and the goalie and makes it even more unlikely that he'll be able to see the shot and make the save

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I see him as a serviceable 7th dman during the season who you don't want in your line up in the playoffs

Some will complain about a 1st round pick turning into that but it could have been worse. With the exception of Tage Thompson, nobody drafted after him in the 1st round has had a dramatically better NHL carrreer so far

???????
There is quite a long list other than just Thompson.
Kyrou, Debrincat, Girard, Lindgren, Hronek plus quite a few other lesser lights who have still far exceeded Stanley.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Dillon was the only positive +/- in the playoff because he was the only guy clearing the crease for Hellebuyck to see and knocking guys down so they couldn’t get rebounds. Simple playoff hockey.

Before we get into the stupidity of “size isn’t everything”, I’m not saying that. But I am saying it’s something. It’s something every team needs in the playoffs. None of the Jets 6ft, 190lbs defenders could handle Nuke.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
???????
There is quite a long list other than just Thompson.
Kyrou, Debrincat, Girard, Lindgren, Hronek plus quite a few other lesser lights who have still far exceeded Stanley.
If you actually read my post, I said "in the first round". Nobody who went in the late second or beyond should have even been a consideration at 18

None of the guys you mentionned were projected to go mid first. Anyone can look at a draft in hindsight and say "those guys were idiots for not picking *insert player whose success was out of left field*". There's a reason everyone else passed on those guys too until they were chosen.

I mean Byfuglien was picked in the 8th round FFS. Does that mean that he should have been a first rounder? Of course not, because nobody knew how good he was going to be at the time of the draft

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

no team pitches shut outs with their drafting. We got spoiled hitting on our first 6 1st round picks.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
no team pitches shut outs with their drafting. We got spoiled hitting on our first 6 1st round picks.
Yup. Interestingly, Stanley is already closing in on thr top 50% of games played by historical 18th overall picks (32nd out of 55 players his age or older picked at that draft spot

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yup. Interestingly, Stanley is already closing in on thr top 50% of games played by historical 18th overall picks (32nd out of 55 players his age or older picked at that draft spot

He'll comfortably get to 200 games in the NHL which is not that easy to do.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you actually read my post, I said "in the first round". Nobody who went in the late second or beyond should have even been a consideration at 18

None of the guys you mentionned were projected to go mid first. Anyone can look at a draft in hindsight and say "those guys were idiots for not picking *insert player whose success was out of left field*". There's a reason everyone else passed on those guys too until they were chosen.

I mean Byfuglien was picked in the 8th round FFS. Does that mean that he should have been a first rounder? Of course not, because nobody knew how good he was going to be at the time of the draft

Some here were touting both Debrincat and Girard with our pick at 22. Their success has not been a surprise to many. Both were probably victims of size bias the other end of which got us Stanley.

Edit: Granted, you did specify 1st rd. I've posted here before about the 2016 draft class being shallow. Looking at what was left, Jets took a shot. Stanley has exceeded the expectations of some here.

I agree he is a serviceable 7th D. I just wish we could stop doubling down on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffdog

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
RFA offer sheet compensation for this summer:

< $1.51M: No compensation
$1.51M to $2.29M: 3rd
$2.29M to $4.58M: 2nd
$4.58M to $6.87M: 1st & 3rd
$6.87M to $9.16M: 1st, 2nd, 3rd
$9.16M to $11.45M: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd
$11.45M+: 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st

Not that a GM is going to try offer-sheeting anyone...

Malcsta

Mar 15, 2024
Isn't Colin Miller a RHD who had some good looks in the (albeit small) amount of playoff time he had this year?

Reactions: Cypruss

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The D collapses in that colorado series because jomo is locked down defending mackinnon and the 2nd and third lines feast on pionk. Analytics or basic eye test told colorado to send pressure and he will panic and he did... then it all trickles down from there

Then add samberg playing his offside just so we can roster Stan... not because Stan was playing better than Schmidt or miller but I guess we just wanted to make it work I guess

Replace pionk and this d core is likely fine instead we will keep him and rebuild everything else

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The D collapses in that colorado series because jomo is locked down defending mackinnon and the 2nd and third lines feast on pionk. Analytics or basic eye test told colorado to send pressure and he will panic and he did... then it all trickles down from there

Then add samberg playing his offside just so we can roster Stan... not because Stan was playing better than Schmidt or miller but I guess we just wanted to make it work I guess

Replace pionk and this d core is likely fine instead we will keep him and rebuild everything else

The second pairing has been one of this teams weaknesses for a while now. Bones made the decision to make the third pairing an issue as well with his deployment.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The second pairing has been one of this teams weaknesses for a while now. Bones made the decision to make the third pairing an issue as well with his deployment.
I like your comment on the second pair - there were issues there with Pionk and the pair were critical to our success.
The third pair was off and one most of the season - Smitty, Stan and Samberg all had periods where they struggled so there was a lot of juggling -
I don't get the comment on Bones making the 3rd pair an issue - he made a lot of moves with this group and some you probably don't agree with (so whats new) - but that doesn't mean he made that pair an issue.
What made the blueline an issue is the fact that it simply isn't very good - and coaching a poor lineup is a challenge but certainly not an issue the coach created.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like your comment on the second pair - there were issues there with Pionk and the pair were critical to our success.
The third pair was off and one most of the season - Smitty, Stan and Samberg all had periods where they struggled so there was a lot of juggling -
I don't get the comment on Bones making the 3rd pair an issue - he made a lot of moves with this group and some you probably don't agree with (so whats new) - but that doesn't mean he made that pair an issue.
What made the blueline an issue is the fact that it simply isn't very good - and coaching a poor lineup is a challenge but certainly not an issue the coach created.

Talking only about the playoffs for the third pairing by playing Stan with Snerg on his off side.

They were the least inpactful pairing of any pairing that saw over 100 minutes in the regular season. It should have told the coaches all that they needed to know.

I thought they should have gone with either Stan or Snerg with Schmidt as both combos played well together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad