Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Gulbis/Sascha could be interesting. Ernests looks like he's carrying a bit more weight and wearing black to disguise it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This ATP Tennis TV thing is wonderful. You can watch tennis anywhere; every player has a library of full matches one can peruse; the high definition is great; and you can watch many matches without a commentator. All ATP tournaments are covered except Grand Slams, including the 250 levels. The site has a bunch of other goodies as well. Highly recommended and reasonably priced.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Gulbis, looking like a shell of his former self, gets the first break but then is broken three straight times for a 6-2 loss. He seems intent on hitting everything as hard as he can with the result that he is piling up the unforced errors. He is in my top five fave players so this is sad to watch.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Gulbis/Sascha could be interesting. Ernests looks like he's carrying a bit more weight and wearing black to disguise it.

Gulbis, looking like a shell of his former self, gets the first break but then is broken three straight times for a 6-2 loss. He seems intent on hitting everything as hard as he can with the result that he is piling up the unforced errors. He is in my top five fave players so this is sad to watch.

Yeah that is too bad. 30 somethings who don't take care of their bodies generally don't do too well.

Reactions: kihei

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
This ATP Tennis TV thing is wonderful. You can watch tennis anywhere; every player has a library of full matches one can peruse; the high definition is great; and you can watch many matches without a commentator. All ATP tournaments are covered except Grand Slams, including the 250 levels. The site has a bunch of other goodies as well. Highly recommended and reasonably priced.
How much?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Canadian Steven Diez got through qualifying in Lyon and won his first ATP tour level match this season in the first round, is giving Tsonga a match so far in the 2nd round.

Diez is a journeyman on the Challenger/Futures tour, but he's had a decent season when he's been able to stay healthy (always been an issue for him).

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Diez looks like a really good club player with a good backhand. Everything else? Sheesh. Tsonga should be annihilating this guy, 1-1 in the second.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well, that point was beautifully constructed by Diez.

On the other hand, a gerbil could beat Tsonga the way he is playing at the moment.

Tsonga getting his knee treated during the break. Perhaps that explains things.

Even though he can't push off on serve and his movement is restricted by at least 30%, Tsonga hangs in there, but can't muster a break. On serve 3-2.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Diez looks like a really good club player with a good backhand. Everything else? Sheesh. Tsonga should be annihilating this guy, 1-1 in the second.

I think he's decent on clay. Spent a lot of time in Spain I believe.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Diez fights off a break point and holds for 4-3.

On that love service game, lack of zip and all, Tsonga made Diez look like a public parks player, 4-4.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A good question is why is Jo-Wilfried jeopardizing appearing in the French Open for this? Now, 5-4 Diez.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Diez goes up love-30 and then is just awful, 5-5.

Tsonga gets the break, 6-5.

In an absolute horror show of a game, Diez somehow breaks back. Hello, tie breaker.

Has this dude ever heard of a drop shot against the lame" Apparently not.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tsonga wins the breaker as Diez's game turns triple ugly.

Think I've seen enough.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Unfortunate that Tsonga is a shell of his former self these days. Knee problems are something that veteran players never completely recover from and he's another supporting member of the GOAT generation who is clearly deep in the back nine of his career.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Watching a replay of Denis' match. In the first set, he looks beaten before he starts, with no confidence and not much concentration on this surface at all today.

I hope this knee-sock look of Ugo (Humbert) Humbert (points if you get the literary reference on that one) doesn't catch on.

Early in the second set, with still a cavalier approach to execution from Denis, Shapo seems to decide that it would take more energy to lose to this guy than it would to just beat him....many stumbles along the way, though.

Ugo's mother is an absolute clone of Grace Slick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad