Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Denis seldom constructed a point purposefully, much less cunningly. He was fortunate today that he was competing against someone as young and even less experienced than he is.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Denis goes out in a 3rd set TB to Paire. I'm sure he'll be happy when the clay season is finished.

Felix up later today.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fine first set from Felix; dismal second set, though. Going to a decider against Johnson who, despite his two Houston championships on clay, should be easy pickings for Felix, as the first set demonstrated.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Quickly to 4-1.

A hiccup serving for the match, 5-3.

5-4, gut check time now. Felix once again serves for the match.

Felix holds with real authority. This win puts him in the top 25, I think.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Broken serving for the match, but got it done on the second time of asking.

Basilashvili next.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Quickly to 4-1.

A hiccup serving for the match, 5-3.

5-4, gut check time now. Felix once again serves for the match.

Felix holds with real authority. This win puts him in the top 25, I think.

#24 in the live rankings and a win away from jumping over Denis.

Reactions: Loosie

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If Felix were a hockey player who would he be? First thought: Patrice Bergeron with a chance of becoming Jean Beliveau. You all remember Jean Beliveau, right? Well, right? What?????

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
He's not too far away from being Canada's top ranked men's player. Winning this tournament would put him close, and then just needs a good RG run.

It helps that Raonic is injured right now too. Now he didn't play Roland Garos last year either so he's not losing any points there. If Felix wins Lyon he would still need to reach the semis to pass Raonic after the French Open. (A QF would leave him 18 points shy of Raonic)

However if Raonic isn't back by the grass season he falls to Canadian #3 after Wimbledon. He has 555 points in 3 grass tournaments last year. That is more than the current gap between Raonic and Auger-Aliassime.

Reactions: discostu

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It helps that Raonic is injured right now too. Now he didn't play Roland Garos last year either so he's not losing any points there. If Felix wins Lyon he would still need to reach the semis to pass Raonic after the French Open. (A QF would leave him 18 points shy of Raonic)

However if Raonic isn't back by the grass season he falls to Canadian #3 after Wimbledon. He has 555 points in 3 grass tournaments last year. That is more than the current gap between Raonic and Auger-Aliassime.

Thanks, I didn't do the math, but more a quick glance. Getting that deep in RG would be tough, especially as Felix has been a little inconsistent, and we'll need to see how he handles the pressure of being seeded in a major. Harder to sneak up on people now.

I wouldn't be surprised if the title of highest ranked Canadian mens player changes hand a few times over the next year. All three can get hot and cold and do better on different surfaces.

Reactions: Loosie and Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Death by drop shot. Fritz gets dominated by a coolly efficient Paire, 6-4, in the first set.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
As has happened since time immemorial, European clay courters are schooling their young, hot shot North American counterparts. Paire clobbers Fritz and now Basilashvilli is dominating Felix, 6-2, in the first set.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At 4-all in the second, Felix goes down love-40 on serve, but then recovers for the hold. There was one breathtaking down-the-line forehand in there that you'd have to have ice water in your veins to even try.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Polar opposite set from the first as Felix learns fast, 7-6.

At 3-2 in the third, Felix has a medical timeout for an upper thigh problem of some sort. Doesn't seem super serious at present.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix gets the break for 4-3. And he's serving very well.

Felix digs a hole for himself twice with miss-hits and then coolly saves the subsequent break points with sharp tennis, 5-3.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Damn, what a way to win it--opening and closing aces that bookend a pair of groundstrokes that land near lines in opposite corners of the court.

HUGE WIN.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Zverev chokes away a hugely winnable tie breaker to unfortunately even his match with the one-dimensional Debonis. Sascha's body language is the pits and his confidence is in tatters. This has the making of another disastrous loss.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Delbonis basically self destructs in the third set making things easy for Sascha, 6-3 with two breaks.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Does anyone know if tomorrow's match will be on Canadian TV? I know tennis broadcast rights are a bit of a mess in Canada right now. I'd hope that either tsn or Rogers has the ability to pick this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad