Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Does anyone know if tomorrow's match will be on Canadian TV? I know tennis broadcast rights are a bit of a mess in Canada right now. I'd hope that either tsn or Rogers has the ability to pick this up.

DAZN owns the rights to 250's in Canada.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
@Tuggy beat me to it.

They do apparently offer a free trial though.

Given how little I actually get around to watching, it's probably not worth it for me for now.

Thanks for the quick reply. Will be following scores online. Hopefully DAZN broadcasts on their twitter feed like they did for Bianca, but I think that was a one off

Reactions: Loosie

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
When he is on his game, Paire can be a formidable player, but he's kind of bi-polar. He can get distracted. Anyway I'm expecting a very close match.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That collar-up thing of Paire--it's like screaming "I'm a dork."

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
First break to Paire as Felix is off to a slow start on serve, 2-1. The master of the drop shot, Benoit used two beauties to get the break.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix seems like a natural tactician. There is so much thought behind his game. Fun to watch. (Later: well, that faded as the match progressed).

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Topping the set off with another perfect drop shot, Paire made winning that set look way too easy. Felix didn't come close to sniffing a break point and was inconsistent throughout. It looked like a seasoned pro versus a junior which, of course, on one level, it is.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In the second, Paire breaks immediately, 1-love. Felix just looks ill-prepared to play in a final.

Finally Feliix catches a break and evens the set at 2-2.

Fristratingly, Felix gives the break right back with more unfocused play, 3-2 Paire to serve.

Paire cruises the rest of the way, 6-4.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Well not a great performance today but Paire was dialed in.

Great week for Felix though. That first title will come.

Reactions: Hadoop

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Not sold on Denis' dirt balling prowess, but if Felix plays the kind of clay court tennis he's capable of there's no reason he can't go deep and possibly even win this FO tuneup.

So yeah... his ascent is progressing very nicely but Felix still needs to learn to embrace the big(ger) occasions, and that's one thing Denis has over him right now.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sacha won in Geneva over Jarry, 7-6 in the third. A win is a win, but it was a mediocre performance with Zverev just managing to keep the ball in play enough until his opponent got tight.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At this very moment, Roger is back to being #2 in the world.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Looks like Murray has confirmed he's getting back on the court. Just doubles for now.

BREAKING: Andy Murray Announces Return To Tennis

Murray also confirmed about playing doubles at the Fever-Tree Championships at Queen’s. He said in a statement, “I would say there is a very little chance I would play singles during the grass season. Potentially doubles, but I’m not trying to get ready for singles now.”

Reactions: kihei

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
It's amazing that 8 of the current top 13 in the ATP rankings are over 30.

If the Big 3 retire someday, will the theme be Thiem winning every major?

I think Zverev would be the favorite excluding the Big Three at the Aussie, US and Wimbledon. Thiem would be the favorite at the French.

For as "hyped" as Zverev is, he's only reached the fourth round (!!!) at a major four times even though he's been seeded 12 times at majors. I get that he's only 22, but still...

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
If the Big 3 retire someday, will the theme be Thiem winning every major?

Outside of winning IW this year, Thiem hasn't been a huge threat off of clay.

I mean he might win something other than the French, but I wouldn't expect it much.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix set to return next week in Stuttgart. He draws Gulbis in R1. A nice one for you @kihei

Denis and Milos also in the draw. First tournament in a while for Raonic.

Schnur lost today in qualifying or we could have had 4 Canadians at the event.

Ben Grimm

I can't stand the rain ☔
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Who are your favorite men all time? I like:

Rod Laver: Only man to win 2 Calendar Grand Slams
Don Budge: Only man to win 6 consecutive Grand Slam singles titles
Bill Tilden: First man to win 10 Major titles
Ken Rosewall: Only man to win 23 Major titles
Roy Emerson: Only man to win career Grand Slam titles in singles and doubles

The following is an amazing accomplishment to me: Sears, Trabert, Borg, and Nadal won 3 majors without losing a set. Budge and Federer did it twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad