Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole takes this three-hour match 6-4 in the third. Del Potro played as well as I have ever seen him play on clay, but Nole just wouldn't be denied.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Last night's Delpo/Nole match is on TSN now

And in a little bit, Nadal/Tsitsipas will start.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Hell of a performance by Rafa so far, 6-3, 2-1 with a break and Stefanos playing very well.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm beginning to think that Tsitsipas' father is a royal pain in the ass. One of those parents who is never satisfied.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well, assuming Nole wins against Schwatzman, Sunday's final is going to tell us a lot about who should be favoured going into the French Open. I wouldn't bet against either of them tomorrow.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole won the first set though Schwartzman played really well, 6-3. In the second set Schwartzman was the better player and deserved to win the tie breaker. He is having a very impressive day and Nole had better raise his game quickly.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A case of experience in big matches counting for a whole lot.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What happened?
Nothing out of the ordinary for tennis parents living through their children. Just sitting in his seat looking angry at each of his son's mistakes, gesturing displeasure, that sort of thing.

Hard not to pick Rafa tomorrow. On current form, I think he is a firm favourite.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I just tuned in to see Rafa up 4-0. He seems to be hitting with authority.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Wow Rafa on the verge of bagelling Djoker. Easily the best set he’s played on clay this year. God I wish this version of Rafa showed up in Melbourne instead

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
As good as Rafa was, Nole didn't help with poor play. He seems to be perking up now as the second set progresses, 3-2 on serve.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Losing to Tsitsipas in the semis at Madrid obviously was a wake-up call for Rafa and this whole week so far shows how strongly he has responded.

Nole recovers from l0ve-40, though, to keep on serve, 4-3.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole living dangerously giving up potential break points every service game but he survives again. 5-4.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Holy Christ, Nole breaks for the set. Is that a wild turn-around or not?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Here's a question I was musing about before Nole broke for the set: As dominant as Rafa has been, could he do this for five sets in the French? I have serious doubts.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Third set: Nole gets tentative on too many points and Rafa bulldogs a break, 1-love.

Nole stubbornly keeps forcing drop shots and they are falling into the net, like eight times now.

Rafa has weaponized the service timer which is visible to players in Rome. He makes sure he gets extra seconds of rest before serving.

Nole continues to misplay the simplest of putaways, a sad theme all day.

Rafa earns a second break, 4-1, the end certainly now in sight.

....and he wins it 6-1.

Quite the performance.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
24 backhand errors, tentative play, wonky overheads, a dozen dumb drop shots, and an inability to win long rallies (25%, 6 for 24, last I noticed), all doomed Nole. So while Nadal now goes into Paris as the favourite, I don't think he is a sure thing at all, even after today, and could wear down in long matches. I'm liking Thiem at the moment, despite his bombing out early in Rome. He should be well rested anyway.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sharp net play helps Karolina Pliskova win her biggest title, 3 and 4 over Konta, Good for her--I like seeing her play well.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Draw out for Lyon and Denis/Felix on opposite sides of the draw. Maybe we can get our first (of hopefully many) finals between them :D

Not sold on Denis' dirt balling prowess, but if Felix plays the kind of clay court tennis he's capable of there's no reason he can't go deep and possibly even win this FO tuneup.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Not sold on Denis' dirt balling prowess, but if Felix plays the kind of clay court tennis he's capable of there's no reason he can't go deep and possibly even win this FO tuneup.

Yeah, I'm not sold on Denis on clay.

Felix actually has a nice draw in Lyon. He's fighting inconsistency right now, but if he's in form he could make a run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad