Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Djokovic and Shapovalov about to start.

Verdasco takes out Thiem.

Cilic loses again and will fall out of the top 10. Wonder if he'll ever get back...

Reactions: kihei

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Denis lost 1 and 3. Kyrgios was defaulted at 2-1 in the third set. From what I understand he had already lost a point, then a game and then he kept dropping f-bombs at someone in the crowd, I think, then smashed his racquet and threw a chair. The ump called for a ref and I never heard him actually say game, set, match but Kyrgios packed his stuff and left.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After his eccentric play against a clearly hurting Medvedev, I thought, uh oh, this might be the (relative) calm before the storm. Then came the interview where he went out of his way to trash Nole, Rafa and Verdasco. Now this. I thought Nick was getting help, but obviously it hasn't been sufficient. I feel for the guy--he has serious mental heath issues that he must address for his own good, forget about tennis. I hope he finally gets the professional care that he so desperately needs.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
After his eccentric play against a clearly hurting Medvedev, I thought, uh oh, this might be the (relative) calm before the storm. Then came the interview where he went out of his way to trash Nole, Rafa and Verdasco. Now this. I thought Nick was getting help, but obviously it hasn't been sufficient. I feel for the guy--he has serious mental heath issues that he must address for his own good, forget about tennis. I hope he finally gets the professional care that he so desperately needs.
I agree he needs help. I also have to say a lot of what he said in the interview is true, not about the fans since he started it but about Nole wanting to be liked and Rafa being a bad sport when he loses although I think most of that is due to being ultra competitive. Not sure I would want to shake hands with Kyrgios after the way he acts on court either but still, Rafa did shake hands.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Here's a real shocker: Coric over Federer 4-love.

6-2 Borna. Just an excellent set from Coric though 10 unforced backhand errors from Roger made it a little easier.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Roger wins the second set, takes the third to a breaker, saves two match points, and wins a match that Coric deserved, all with the crowd going nuts. If anything, the whole kit and kaboodle, crowd and all, just goes to show that in the mind of the paying customers, Fed is a legend beyond which no other tennis player in history can compare or even hope to aspire. Few athletes in history have had this aura and this ability to rise to the occasion so many times. Some times it seems more fairy tale than real.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Fed prevails. Barely.

Can't wait to get home and see the highlights.

RE: Krygios. Maybe he does need help. Then again maybe he just really hates his job, but he hasn't switched careers yet because his current one is so lucrative. Plus occasionally he still finds tennis enjoyable (i.e. Laver cup)

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Roger wins the second set, takes the third to a breaker, saves two match points, and wins a match that Coric deserved, all with the crowd going nuts. If anything, the whole kit and kaboodle, crowd and all, just goes to show that in the mind of the paying customers, Fed is a legend beyond which no other tennis player in history can compare or even hope to aspire. Few athletes in history have had this aura and this ability to rise to the occasion so many times. Some times it seems more fairy tale than real.

They don't call watching Fed a spiritual/religious experience for nothing. :nod:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga

Finals moments of the "one vs a million" match between Coric and Fed + the rest of the stadium.

Still don't blame the fans though!

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Fed has to W/D :(

Hope it's just a precaution. Meanwhile, early going between Rafa and Verdasco but Rafa is down 2-0 and at deuce in the third game. Interestingly, the announcers said Rafa is taking 27 seconds on average between serves while Verdasco is taking 26. On the very first point of Verdasco's service game he was given a warning. It shows you how arbitrary they are with this.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Yeah, a typical Verdasco/Nadal match. Rafa doesn't need to be at his peak, and as soon as he takes the first set, Verdasco folds like a broken umbrella.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Del Potro plays some fine clay court tennis and takes the first set from Nole, 6-4.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Draw out for Lyon and Denis/Felix on opposite sides of the draw. Maybe we can get our first (of hopefully many) finals between them :D

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Past midnight in Rome, but this is going 3 after Djokovic takes the second set in a tiebreaker.

P.S. That drop shot winner from Nole facing match point was clutch.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That second set was a beauty with Nole saving two match points in the breaker. Both players deserved to win that set.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Almost 7:00 PM EST in Toronto and I am watching the Italian Open live. Seems a little strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad