Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
D6OLhflXsAAx241.jpg:large

Draw for Rome next week.

Tough first round for Felix against Coric.

We'll see if Denis can find his game against PCB.

Thiem/Nadal same quarter.

We'll see if Federer stays in the draw.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just wagered $900,000 Vcash on Rafa. Should make against Stan. Should make that match interesting.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Interesting stat: Rafa has won 83% of his matches this calendar year and 83% of his matches in his career. By that standard he is literally as good as he ever was.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tsitsipas is turning out better than Zverev and Felix dominates Tsitsipas in juniors and now has won their first pro match up. Future look bright or what?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rafa is so passive this year on clay; so many of his ground strokes fall in the service boxes. He seems to be relying just on being more patient, just keeping the ball in play, than his opponent. It is 2-1 on serve and already Stan has 6 winners to Rafa's zero.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So Federer steps on clay after, what, a three year absence, and immediately looks like the 2nd best clay court player in the world. Extraordinary.
Looks like I spoke too soon.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
Interesting stat: Rafa has won 83% of his matches this calendar year and 83% of his matches in his career. By that standard he is literally as good as he ever was.
What...I don't think that makes sense lol. Being as good as he ever was would mean being as good as he was during his peak. That's my interpretation anyways.
And he's definitely a step or 2 below his peak. I'm just hoping he can still win the French Open this year (along with other grand slams). GO RAFA!

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What...I don't think that makes sense lol. Being as good as he ever was would mean being as good as he was during his peak. That's my interpretation anyways.
And he's definitely a step or 2 below his peak. I'm just hoping he can still win the French Open this year (along with other grand slams). GO RAFA!
I butchered the phrasing of that, sorry. I should have just let the comparison percentages speak for themselves.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Thiem's currently got the best strokes and the best physical conditioning on the tour. He has become mentally resilient, has improved his in-game tactics and has proven he can win big matches against the best of them on all surfaces.

His demeanor, however, still screams "nice Mama's boy" and he tends to get himself into more trouble on-court than necessary. Prime Federer and prime Nadal would both eat him alive, prime Djokovic would wear him down to no end.

If he plays his cards right and everything goes his way, he might have a Wawrinka, maybe even Murray-type career.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem's currently got the best strokes and the best physical conditioning on the tour. He has become mentally resilient, has improved his in-game tactics and has proven he can win big matches against the best of them on all surfaces.

His demeanor, however, still screams "nice Mama's boy" and he tends to get himself into more trouble on-court than necessary. Prime Federer and prime Nadal would both eat him alive, prime Djokovic would wear him down to no end.

If he plays his cards right and everything goes his way, he might have a Wawrinka, maybe even Murray-type career.
That's a pretty good fate, though. And he could better it because Nole, Rafa and Roger have to leave the stage sometime, and somebody has to win the Grand Slams that will follow in their absence.

Reactions: umbertovanek

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Opening break to Thiem 2-1. Early days, but so far this match looks like it could be a beauty and Thiem looks very strong.

Nole breaks back, now 4-3 on serve.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Every game seems up for grabs as Nole saves two break points with fine play to go up 5-4.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole wins it. An exciting set despite a ton of unforced errors from both players. Whoever wins this will need ice water flowing through their veins as they are both very even and play is very intense.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole has been super clutch all day, 1 all in the second set.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem avoiding going down the line with his backhand for some reason and Nole is just waiting for the ball.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole saves another break point with clutch play, 2-all in the second set.

Nole continues to live dangerously giving up three more break points and Dominic finally nails one, 3-2 Thiem.

Nole break.s right back at 15, looking a bit pissed off with himself for having been broken in the previous game.

Last edited:
Reactions: umbertovanek

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Not much between these two, that's for sure.

But feels like the match is more on Thiem's racket.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole breaks and serves for the set and is broken himself, another tie breaker.

and Nole wins it with more clutch play.

Last edited:

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
That's a pretty good fate, though. And he could better it because Nole, Rafa and Roger have to leave the stage sometime, and somebody has to win the Grand Slams that will follow in their absence.
Agreed. One tends to forget what a singularity it is to have the three best players of all time within one generation, since it's been going on for so long.
Still would be cool, though, if Thiem could win a Slam with those three still playing.

Reactions: kihei
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad