Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v11.0: The D Man Cometh

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Tbf none of these guys have produced as well as Beaudin.

I like Beaudin and think he'll make it. I think he'll prove any doubters wrong starting with a strong debut in Rockford next season.
and by no means am I saying Beaudin is going to bust just based off that - just saying we need to be cautiously optimistic with him, but damn this could could turn out to be the best of the bunch and he is talked about almost the least!

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
and by no means am I saying Beaudin is going to bust just based off that - just saying we need to be cautiously optimistic with him, but damn this could could turn out to be the best of the bunch and he is talked about almost the least!
I'd be more cautiously optimistic about Boqvist than Beaudin. I think Beaudin is more of a sure thing. Doesn't have the same ceiling though.

I don't think he'll be the best of the bunch, but he's good and worth being excited for. I assume you meant out of Boqvist, Jokiharju, Mitchell and Krys?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'd be more cautiously optimistic about Boqvist than Beaudin. I think Beaudin is more of a sure thing. Doesn't have the same ceiling though.

I don't think he'll be the best of the bunch, but he's good and worth being excited for. I assume you meant out of Boqvist, Jokiharju, Mitchell and Krys?
correct

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If we break it down by points...

Krys probably caps off at a 30 point scorer
Jokiharju, 35P
Beaudin, 40P
Mitchell, 45-50P
Boqvist, 60P

Or something like that. Next to impossible to predict. If Beaudin turns into Chabot, he blows that point cap out of the water. If Boqvist can't adapt to the next level, he never gets close to that. It's tough to know how it'll play out.

But I will say Mitchell and Beaudin are my favourites of the bunch.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Cam Barker was the more heralded of the group between him, Seabs and Keith...just saying, you never know who turns into the best of the bunch.
I wasn't watching hockey back then, but going off of stats Keith had the best D+1 year of them all. Obviously stats aren't everything, but Keith turned out to be the best. Though Barker and Seabs looked about even so I see your point.

Reactions: AmericanDream

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
honest question - how much more the man can he be in the OHL??? top 5-7 in points for a defensemen already...for me I typically like to see these kids DOMINATE 1 year of junior or college prior to turning pro. Boqvist has already done that, and not saying there isn't things he still needs to work on with his game, I just don't really see him being able to work on them in the OHL...he needs the next test which would be in Rockford.
You're most likely right here but just to answer your question .. he could be the #1 Dman in the OHL next season ... he could be the league mvp ... would that serve him better in the long run? Maybe, maybe not. My only concern with him is his physical development and playing with men when he is physically ready. It can be dicey with D going in over their heads too early. He is like a thoroughbred ... I just want him to have the best chance to succeed and by succeed I mean Karlssonesque succeed!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I wasn't watching hockey back then, but going off of stats Keith had the best D+1 year of them all. Obviously stats aren't everything, but Keith turned out to be the best. Though Barker and Seabs looked about even so I see your point.
even on the eye test Keith was not the player he turned into. Seabs was raw but you saw the upside there. Barker was very very highly touted, looked like he could be a top pairing dman as well, and though the 04 draft blows chunks outside the top 2, he was definitely considered #3 by many services/experts from what I remember. just funny how that shit shakes out sometimes.

and of course, Hammer and Buff getting picked in rounds 34 and 56 respectively lol...

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
even on the eye test Keith was not the player he turned into. Seabs was raw but you saw the upside there. Barker was very very highly touted, looked like he could be a top pairing dman as well, and though the 04 draft blows chunks outside the top 2, he was definitely considered #3 by many services/experts from what I remember. just funny how that **** shakes out sometimes.

and of course, Hammer and Buff getting picked in rounds 34 and 56 respectively lol...

Problem was he was drafted pre-lockout/older rules/slower game and came into the league and the modern game had kind of passed him and his kind by. Add in some of his other issues and you have a busted NHL career.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Problem was he was drafted pre-lockout/older rules/slower game and came into the league and the modern game had kind of passed him and his kind by. Add in some of his other issues and you have a busted NHL career.
no doubt about it. Barker "hit" at the right time, his strongest season was his draft year. He played well the prior season which put him on the map, then after over a ppg season he was projected everywhere to be a top 5 pick. I remember that the year after he was drafted shit started going down hill. He got hurt and had a disappointing year, but I also do remember he had a strong WJC tourney for Canada, like really damn strong which eased people a bit.

I remember when we picked Barker and even the next few years after it felt the right pick...unlike Kyle Beach where once he was announced it just felt like they were trying to polish a turd even though he was...just a turd. can't blame the scouts/management for Barker IMO, as at the time of his draft the red flags weren't there. It is funny to see him STILL playing hockey in the Liiga, feels like he retired forever ago to be honest.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
forwards can slot in easier than defensemen, so if I am pulling for one of either Barratt or Mitchell to sign, it will be Mitchell. we need to get him rolling on a pro career as for dmen it takes a little longer for them to fully develop in many cases. I do not see Barratt at all being a flight risk, and he obviously is enjoying his time and feels one more year of college hockey is only going to make him stronger. so to put any positive spin on this, we need Mitchell to sign as he is more important long term and likely needs that head start in our system to get rolling here, whereas IMO, Barratt could jump right in next year after his season at the NHL level.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
forwards can slot in easier than defensemen, so if I am pulling for one of either Barratt or Mitchell to sign, it will be Mitchell. we need to get him rolling on a pro career as for dmen it takes a little longer for them to fully develop in many cases. I do not see Barratt at all being a flight risk, and he obviously is enjoying his time and feels one more year of college hockey is only going to make him stronger. so to put any positive spin on this, we need Mitchell to sign as he is more important long term and likely needs that head start in our system to get rolling here, whereas IMO, Barratt could jump right in next year after his season at the NHL level.
i am with you, Mitchell signing is a must.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
If the Hogs hadn't lost 4 in a row to the team behind them in the standings, they'd have a much brighter outlook on the PO's this year -_-

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
There is no way all of Jokiharju Boqvist Mitchell Krys and Beaudin Wil ALL ever be in the same lineup in the show...

No NHL team has ever gone with 5 smaller pmd types with skating and skill but lacking in the size and muscle arts for competent boards play and crease clearing and shot blocking defense..1 Connor Murphy will NOT be enough (and he is only average for a size guy)

You need a balance...some of these prospects will get traded as Stan told us when he drafted so many of the same smaller skilled pmd types.

Unless Stan thinks he can win games 10-9 I doubt he will ever see the 5 pmd wet dream some posters on this board appear to envisage for our future. .It will never happen ...nor should bit ever happen..We need a proper r balance including proficient pk den who can block shots..clear properly. .and shove guysvoff screeningboyr goalie.

3 pmd types should be sufficient but the other 3 of the top 6 have to be a mix of 3 way types and sah den and these 3 gotta be proficient on the pk.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
There is no way all of Jokiharju Boqvist Mitchell Krys and Beaudin Wil ALL ever be in the same lineup in the show...

No NHL team has ever gone with 5 smaller pmd types with skating and skill but lacking in the size and muscle arts for competent boards play and crease clearing and shot blocking defense..1 Connor Murphy will NOT be enough (and he is only average for a size guy)

You need a balance...some of these prospects will get traded as Stan told us when he drafted so many of the same smaller skilled pmd types.

Unless Stan thinks he can win games 10-9 I doubt he will ever see the 5 pmd wet dream some posters on this board appear to envisage for our future. .It will never happen ...nor should bit ever happen..We need a proper r balance including proficient pk den who can block shots..clear properly. .and shove guysvoff screeningboyr goalie.

3 pmd types should be sufficient but the other 3 of the top 6 have to be a mix of 3 way types and sah den and these 3 gotta be proficient on the pk.
Jokiharju isn't small; he's 6ft and 192Ibs (according to EP), which for a 19yo is a very respectable size.

Boqvist is also 6ft and is only 11Ibs lighter than Joki, all the while being only 18.

And it's not like Krys, Mitchell, and Beaudin are that short either. They are all 5ft 11. Which is a bit on the smaller side, but there are certainly smaller defensemen who've made it in the league.

But of course everyone who isn't at least 6ft 4 is a smurf, right Fiddy?

Reactions: Giovi

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
The Predators have one defenseman over 6’1 and they’re widely regarded as one of the best defensive units in the NHL.

It’s also not like these teenagers are gonna keep growing or anything....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad