Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread VI | 2017 PGA Tour Season: Here comes Cantlay!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jordan shot 68 with 5 lip-outs. Don't think he played well, but this course is a joke. 5 par 5's and a short par 4. Its like they want someone to break 60.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
-4 thru 8

I still don't think it was a bad round.

His short game looks really bad, but he can work on that.

Okay, he hit one driver in the water. That happens to everyone. His ball striking and putting has been good. I think his game will be ready to win pretty soon. Its not yet, although thats to be expected.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Promising front 9. Pretty disastrous back 9.

Kind of what I was expecting before this week, but after the way he started, didn't expect the wheels to fall off as badly as they did.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Tiger's short game isn't terrible, but there are certainly some things to work on. Nowhere near what it was when he had the yips at Phoenix or throughout 2015 though.

I hope Tiger plays a full schedule going forward. I think he needs at least 5 or 6 starts before The Masters. Torrey, Scottsdale, Pebble, Honda, Mexico, Bay Hill, WGC Match Play and Shell. No reason he can't do 6 of those.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hope Tiger plays a full schedule going forward. I think he needs at least 5 or 6 starts before The Masters. Torrey, Scottsdale, Pebble, Honda, Mexico, Bay Hill, WGC Match Play and Shell. No reason he can't do 6 of those.

He's not in the WGC's as of now, so barring a win or very good play in almost every event before the WGC's, he won't be playing those.

I think Torrey Pines, Riviera, Honda, API are very likely. I added Riviera because his foundation now hosts that event. I doubt he would host the event for his foundation, and not play the event.

I'd like him to play another event or two, besides that. Innisbrook could fit his schedule, Scottsdale could and Pebble Beach could as well, although he doesn't like that event because of the format and long rounds. It would also be four tournaments in four weeks if he plays Scottsdale and Pebble Beach along with Torrey Pines and Riviera, so its likely only one of those two, if he plays either at all.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
He's not in the WGC's as of now, so barring a win or very good play in almost every event before the WGC's, he won't be playing those.

I think Torrey Pines, Riviera, Honda, API are very likely. I added Riviera because his foundation now hosts that event. I doubt he would host the event for his foundation, and not play the event.

I'd like him to play another event or two, besides that. Innisbrook could fit his schedule, Scottsdale could and Pebble Beach could as well, although he doesn't like that event because of the format and long rounds. It would also be four tournaments in four weeks if he plays Scottsdale and Pebble Beach along with Torrey Pines and Riviera, so its likely only one of those two, if he plays either at all.

Jesus, completely slipped my mind. It's still hard to not think of him automatically qualifying for those.

I think he needs to push his body and see exactly what it can handle. Playing a month straight obviously isn't ideal, but coming off a year and a half layoff, I don't think he can afford to play it safe or be too cautious if he wants to seriously contend at the majors next year. Riviera also slipped my mind, agree with you on that one. TPC Scottsdale is a course that is a nice mix of something that suits his game and is quite forgiving, think he should play there. Pebble with the whole pro-am garbage is something that is probably not likely, agreed. I could see him entertaining the Sony (forgiving course, short) and Shell (Augusta tune-up) even though he typically doesn't play the week before majors. Like you said, obviously a win or solid consistent play changes this list and the potential of WGC's which is why I'm of the mind he should seriously think about Honolulu which, while birdie fests, could serve as a confidence boost.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm all in on Jordan and Tiger going shot for shot at augusta this year.

That would be cruel to watch. I might actually not watch.

No thanks. Spieth's been in the mix on Sunday three years in a row at Augusta. Needs to take a break. Tiger and Rors please. Career slam vs #15 is a more intriguing story.

fixed your post.

It really is crazy how few of the really big players in the game have played against each other for a major. Everyone always wants the big players to, but its usually the big players battling against the Garcia's, Stenson's, Rose's, Fowler's for a major.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
It really is crazy how few of the really big players in the game have played against each other for a major. Everyone always wants the big players to, but its usually the big players battling against the Garcia's, Stenson's, Rose's, Fowler's for a major.

Right. Forgot about Spieth vs Bubba. Crazy... Jordan is going to win 5 Green Jackets. His game and Augusta are made for each-other.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Right. Forgot about Spieth vs Bubba. Crazy... Jordan is going to win 5 Green Jackets. His game and Augusta are made for each-other.

5 Green Jackets, 1 US Open.....and he has to stop there because he's gonna win less than 7 majors. ;)

Spieth will win less than 7 majors in his career.

Don't ask me how I remembered that. I have a good memory, not to brag.

Anyway, I do believe the course sets up best for him. Augusta is all about short game and putting. On the contrary, the PGA Championship sets up incredibly well for Rory. I think Rory will rack up a big number of PGA Championships. Rory's gonna win the Masters one of these years though. He's too good not to. He'll run into a week where every shot is right at the flag. Rory need the pressure off him during the Masters. Tiger's first major since 2015 could help take some of the pressure off him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't want to overreact, but I am very happy with his play this week.

His putting and iron play has been excellent, two areas he's struggled with since 2010.

He's still hitting it 300+, and fairways seem about the same as usual. His short game needs work, but he's been very good around the greens most of his career, so I think he can improve that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad