Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread VI | 2017 PGA Tour Season: Here comes Cantlay!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
His breakthrough would've come sooner if he wasn't injured for the better part since 2013. Five wins, two runner-ups and three missed cuts total in last two seasons(38 events).. Now we'll get to see if he can play well in the big tournaments next year.

In the Race, Rory has a mathematical probability to win it all with a Dubai win, but he's all but out of it. Noren needs top2 and Willet needs top4 to challenge. Any other scenario Stenson takes it. Willett holds his own faith though, if he wins Dubai he wins the race aswell. Not that he has shown that type of form lately.

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
R2D playoffs were pretty bleak overall, from all the no-shows in Turkey to lack of suspense at the end. The money race system is very fair, but lacks the real playoff feel of the Fedex where just about everything can happen to the very end. Sure there were scenarios in Dubai, but they were relatively few.

However, the finale itself was very nice. A scrambled birdie sealed the win for Fitzpatrick on the 18th, good stuff. We'll see if he gets even better next year and challenges for majors.

Jan 3, 2012
PGA Tour going to a 4 man playoff tomorrow morning, was too dark to continue. Canadian Mackenzie Hughes could win his first Tour event in his 9th start.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
PGA Tour going to a 4 man playoff tomorrow morning, was too dark to continue. Canadian Mackenzie Hughes could win his first Tour event in his 9th start.

I thought he made that putt he had to win on the 2nd playoff hole. Based on the way if broke for the first handful of putts in the playoffs thought it would have dropped with the line he had but it just stayed left

Jan 3, 2012
I thought he made that putt he had to win on the 2nd playoff hole. Based on the way if broke for the first handful of putts in the playoffs thought it would have dropped with the line he had but it just stayed left

Yeah it was looking really close until the last few feet and you could see the miss. I'm hoping he wins it tomorrow morning, sadly I probably won't see it.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pro wins through 23 years and 6 months old:

Tiger Woods: 12 Total Wins. 8 PGA Tour wins, including 1 major.

Jack Nicklaus: 8 Total Wins. 7 PGA Tour wins, including 3 majors.

Rory McIlroy: 10 Total Wins. 8 Wins combining PGA Tour and European Tour, including 2 majors.

*Jordan Spieth: 11 Total Wins. 8 PGA Tour wins, including 2 majors.

*Has probably one or two more events before 23 years and 6 months.

Jan 3, 2012
I don't see Spieth getting ten majors.

Rory, eh.... depends if he becomes an above average putter strung together for multiple seasons at some point.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hughes wins on the 3rd playoff hole with a par. Made his par 15 feet away from the fringe, 3 other guys made bogey from closer. Rare to see a 5 man playoff won with 3 pars, 3 guys in the last group came down 18 with a chance for a birdie to win as well. 16 holes played, nobody made a birdie when a birdie would have won it.

Doesn't matter, he did what he needed and is going to the Masters, happy for him. Twice now a Canadian has won in the fall after graduating from the Web.Com tour after Taylor did it at Sanderson Farms 2014. Hope Hughes follows his win up a little better than Taylor has.

Jan 3, 2012
Hughes wins on the 3rd playoff hole with a par. Made his par 15 feet away from the fringe, 3 other guys made bogey from closer. Rare to see a 5 man playoff won with 3 pars, 3 guys in the last group came down 18 with a chance for a birdie to win as well. 16 holes played, nobody made a birdie when a birdie would have won it.

Doesn't matter, he did what he needed and is going to the Masters, happy for him. Twice now a Canadian has won in the fall after graduating from the Web.Com tour after Taylor did it at Sanderson Farms 2014. Hope Hughes follows his win up a little better than Taylor has.

I wouldn't say Taylor has been terrible, he's been on leaderboards here and there. Hadwin I think had the best last couple years of them.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I wouldn't say Taylor has been terrible, he's been on leaderboards here and there. Hadwin I think had the best last couple years of them.

He has 2 top 10s in 2+ years, that win and a T5 in Puerto Rico, both in opposite field events. He barely finished top 125 in the FedEx Cup in 2014 only thanks to his win and didn't last year. Thankfully his win meant that didn't matter with regards to exemption as he still has that 1 more year. He's got off to a better start this year which is a good sign, he's a good player but I'm not sure he was really ready for the tour yet despite the win, getting that full 3 years I think helps him get experience without having to worry about the top 125. So I think he'll come into his own a bit here this year and hopefully keep his card.

But he has 1 career top 20 that wasn't in an opposite field event and that was last week in Mayakoba. It hasn't been a great couple of years.

Jan 3, 2012
He has 2 top 10s in 2+ years, that win and a T5 in Puerto Rico, both in opposite field events. He barely finished top 125 in the FedEx Cup in 2014 only thanks to his win and didn't last year. Thankfully his win meant that didn't matter with regards to exemption as he still has that 1 more year. He's got off to a better start this year which is a good sign, he's a good player but I'm not sure he was really ready for the tour yet despite the win, getting that full 3 years I think helps him get experience without having to worry about the top 125. So I think he'll come into his own a bit here this year and hopefully keep his card.

But he has 1 career top 20 that wasn't in an opposite field event and that was last week in Mayakoba. It hasn't been a great couple of years.

ah, fair.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Tiger! Tiger! Tiger!

The wait is almost over. Can't wait!

Btw he's been using a Bridgestone ball and Taylormade woods. Went back to the Scotty putter that got him 10 majors. Still using Nike irons

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Golf will be interesting again with Tiger back. The ratings, or lack thereof, last year were pretty disastrous.

I still want a Sunday pairing between Tiger and Rors at a major with only them in contention. That would be golf heaven for me... wouldn't really care who won.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is the first time since The 2015 PGA Championship that my two favorite golfers are in the same field. Being able to root for two golfers in the same tournament is so much easier than rooting for one, unless they are battling for a tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad