Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread VI | 2017 PGA Tour Season: Here comes Cantlay!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
5 Green Jackets, 1 US Open.....and he has to stop there because he's gonna win less than 7 majors. ;)

Don't ask me how I remembered that. I have a good memory, not to brag.

Anyway, I do believe the course sets up best for him. Augusta is all about short game and putting. On the contrary, the PGA Championship sets up incredibly well for Rory. I think Rory will rack up a big number of PGA Championships. Rory's gonna win the Masters one of these years though. He's too good not to. He'll run into a week where every shot is right at the flag. Rory need the pressure off him during the Masters. Tiger's first major since 2015 could help take some of the pressure off him.

On the other hand, I've forgotten what I had for breakfast by lunch every single day. That's my excuse... :laugh:

The thing about Augusta is other than some of the courses in the Open rota, there probably isn't a course on this planet that requires so much imagination around the greens and those are the courses Jordan seems to chew up. I think for that reason alone, he'll probably be pretty consistent at Open Championships as well. US Opens are going to be more iffy and dependent on finding a setup that works for him and doesn't allow the bombers to overpower them, PGA rota he should end up liking more often than not. I'd probably amend that prediction to more like 8-11ish if I'm being a little more levelheaded about it. 5 Masters, 2 US Opens, 2 Opens, 2 PGA's sound about right?

Complete agreement about Rors. Put some money on him at Quail Hollow this year.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Nike should be shot into the sun for making him use their **** method putter.

Is this the best Tiger's looked on the greens since Torrey? I'd argue yes.

Really good stuff today. Short game was on point too... that little chip from the waste on, I think it was 8, was awesome. Tough shot to pull off.

PanthersPens62

Paul & Stanley
Mar 7, 2009
Home of The Cup
giphy.gif
Yeah baybee!!!!!

Jan 3, 2012
On another note, I think this may be the season we see Hideki Matsuyama join the Day/Spieth/McIlroy tier.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Matsuyama is allergic to hitting golf shots within 50 yards of the hole. Last season he was 6th TTG. 95th ARG, 103 putting. His putting is bad, like really, really bad. His short game has been better in previous years, although definitely a weakness of his, but his putting stroke is atrocious, his putting stats are always terrible.

Does anyone watch these press conferences before majors? You know how that one specific Japanese reporter always asks all the players what Matsuyama needs to do to win a major? Build a fence with a 50 yard perimeter around the hole, and practice, practice, practice, especially his putting.

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Matsuyama's putting is too big a flaw for him to be in the top tier of players, barring massive improvement. Just like how Patty REED's driving is too big a flaw to be in that top tier as well.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
-4 through 5. And a fairway hit on 6.

This is just a treat to watch.

Putting $50 on him to win a major this year.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Way to go! Thanks a lot

Back 9 struggles after sensational starts on days one and three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad