Player Discussion All Purpose Goaltending Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Comrie hasn't exactly been any better than Levi. Cannot blame the D as UPL is excelling behind the same D. I have more confidence that Levi can steal a game than Comrie will.
This is what I've been saying all along. Lots of complaints about 3 goalies, but no one really won that backup spot. I don't think they resolved this by sending Levi down, but I do think they are in a better place in net with UPL reaching some development milestones and the Sabres feeling comfortable about handing him a heavier load. He's looks to be a capable NHL netminder, though still a small sample size.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

This is what I've been saying all along. Lots of complaints about 3 goalies, but no one really won that backup spot. I don't think they resolved this by sending Levi down, but I do think they are in a better place in net with UPL reaching some development milestones and the Sabres feeling comfortable about handing him a heavier load. He's looks to be a capable NHL netminder, though still a small sample size.
This was needed for two reasons:

1) To develop well, Levi needs more games than he is going to get here with a 3 goalie unit.

2) Granato needs a forward or two that he can make a healthy scratch. With 3 goalies and 8 D, Granato had no forward levers he could pull.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

This was needed for two reasons:

1) To develop well, Levi needs more games than he is going to get here with a 3 goalie unit.

2) Granato needs a forward or two that he can make a healthy scratch. With 3 goalies and 8 D, Granato had no forward levers he could pull.
I agree with the move. However, the process took some time and really didn't come together until maybe the last week or two.

There was also some latent outcomes like the 11-7 weirdly seeming like the right formula for the veterans to get the rhythm they needed to finally click.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The obvious move has finally been made. Let us rejoice.
I was okay with giving him a shot even though the history of goalie dominating at his age is incredibly rare. Most goalies aren't Siths like Levi; they're just weird.

Kudos to the front office for correcting their mistake. It was obvious a few weeks ago, but Im glad they did it with a whole lot of season left for Levi to take the Amerks to a Calder cup!

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree with the move. However, the process took some time and really didn't come together until maybe the last week or two.

There was also some latent outcomes like the 11-7 weirdly seeming like the right formula for the veterans to get the rhythm they needed to finally click.
I believe they should have started Levi in Rochester to begin the season. But, that is in the past and I am just glad that they finally made the right move.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I believe they should have started Levi in Rochester to begin the season. But, that is in the past and I am just glad that they finally made the right move.
Sure - he never really passed the eye test for me last season, but somehow he was getting it done in that little run he went on. I accepted that I maybe didn't understand the position or his unconventional style. There were some real flashes of brilliance, but he also seemed to be getting away with a lot of things that don't work out when you average out the bounces.

I still do think he served some purpose on the NHL roster to motivate UPL and forcing him to really step up and take the number one. I think this was intentional use of Levi and hey, if he took the #1, then even better. Up until Levi, he was kind of getting gifted opportunities.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I was okay with giving him a shot even though the history of goalie dominating at his age is incredibly rare. Most goalies aren't Siths like Levi; they're just weird.

Kudos to the front office for correcting their mistake. It was obvious a few weeks ago, but Im glad they did it with a whole lot of season left for Levi to take the Amerks to a Calder cup!
In fairness he didn’t need to dominate, just be average. The state of goaltending in this league has that “average” bar lower than it’s been.

I’m glad he’s been sent down as well.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Sure - he never really passed the eye test for me last season, but somehow he was getting it done in that little run he went on. I accepted that I maybe didn't understand the position or his unconventional style. There were some real flashes of brilliance, but he also seemed to be getting away with a lot of things that don't work out when you average out the bounces.

I still do think he served some purpose on the NHL roster to motivate UPL and forcing him to really step up and take the number one. I think this was intentional use of Levi and hey, if he took the #1, then even better. Up until Levi, he was kind of getting gifted opportunities.
I agree with you in regards to your UPL comments. I definitely think they wanted to force one of them earn the top spot. To force their way to the front.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Finally got to this episode. Some fascinating points of goaltending discussion, and even a little bit on where teams are having success on the power-play.

Reactions: Jim Bob

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Keep Levi up, Comrie gone

Levi at least can provide NHL goaltending

That said, UPL is still the starter. Levi should be playing 3 out of every 10 games. If he plays like he did tonight more often, that can be increased to 4 out of 10

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Keep Levi up, Comrie gone

Levi at least can provide NHL goaltending

That said, UPL is still the starter. Levi should be playing 3 out of every 10 games. If he plays like he did tonight more often, that can be increased to 4 out of 10

Bakes and Fairburn mentioned that there are rumors that Adams has talked to MTL. Bakes and Fairburn talked about Jake Allen as a potential target.

UPL & Allen in Buffalo and Levi in Rochester gets two thumbs waaaaaaay up from me.

One game in a building that is really special to Levi is not enough for me to say he should stay up. Sabres fans have been way too swayed by small sample sizes with the goalies this season, IMO.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

Bakes and Fairburn mentioned that there are rumors that Adams has talked to MTL. Bakes and Fairburn talked about Jake Allen as a potential target.

UPL & Allen in Buffalo and Levi in Rochester gets two thumbs waaaaaaay up from me.

One game in a building that is really special to Levi is not enough for me to say he should stay up. Sabres fans have been way too swayed by small sample sizes with the goalies this season, IMO.

If Adams gets a legit NHL goalie, yes, Levi can go down

We simply cannot play Comrie any longer. Comrie probably does not get us the win last night given his performances. He probably allows 2 when the Bruins were pressuring in the 3rd

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

They are quoting Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun. Does Buffalo media know anything about their own team or just wait for others to report.

I would just play Levi and UPL and whatever happens happens. The downtown grade from Comrie is barely one if it exists and those two can split the games.

Comrie and his 1-5 record with an .863 save percentage can go to Rochester. No one will claim him because of $1.8 Million cap.

There is zero chance Buffalo will do this, but I would offer to eat half of Comrie's cap and grab a late-draft pick out of it. The acquiring team has less risk because he can be shipped to minors, and most of the cap comes off books.

If Adams gets a legit NHL goalie, yes, Levi can go down

We simply cannot play Comrie any longer. Comrie probably does not get us the win last night given his performances. He probably allows 2 when the Bruins were pressuring in the 3rd
Only 2?

Reactions: dortt

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
They are quoting Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun. Does Buffalo media know anything about their own team or just wait for others to report.

I would just play Levi and UPL and whatever happens happens. The downtown grade from Comrie is barely one if it exists and those two can split the games.

Comrie and his 1-5 record with an .863 save percentage can go to Rochester. No one will claim him because of $1.8 Million cap.

There is zero chance Buffalo will do this, but I would offer to eat half of Comrie's cap and grab a late-draft pick out of it. The acquiring team has less risk because he can be shipped to minors, and most of the cap comes off books.

Only 2?

I was trying to be nice to comrie

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

Only 2?
I could see Edmonton claiming him. I give it 50-50. The turn around for them is what knocks it down to 50-50.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Is Levi making the trip out west with the team?

UPL should still be the starter, but Levi likely will need to play one of the games this week

Reactions: toddkaz

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
If KA was actually doing his job he would be offering a 7th round pick to the hawks for Mrazek. That guy has single handedly won a number of games for the pathetic blackhawks. Hawks value nothing but draft picks and Mrazek is screwing up the tank.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Is Levi making the trip out west with the team?

UPL should still be the starter, but Levi likely will need to play one of the games this week
Agree, UPL is the best out of the 3. Let Levi get big minutes in Rochester when UPL is healthy.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Agree, UPL is the best out of the 3. Let Levi get big minutes in Rochester when UPL is healthy.

until adams does his job and gets another goalie, Levi may be stuck here by default. Comrie since he came back from injury has a sub .770 SP. He's making Blind Hutton look like Dom in comparison

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I could see Edmonton claiming him. I give it 50-50. The turn around for them is what knocks it down to 50-50.

They have $ 65k in cap room. They are taking a gamble on a guy with about 50+ NHL games who has an .863 %. You really think they want to risk $800,000 in cap space, even pro-rated.? Calvin Pickard is a better goalie than Comrie. Jake Campbell is probably just as good.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
They have $ 65k in cap room. They are taking a gamble on a guy with about 50+ NHL games who has an .863 %. You really think they want to risk $800,000 in cap space, even pro-rated.? Calvin Pickard is a better goalie than Comrie. Jake Campbell is probably just as good.
Yes, I do. Its not hard to move cap space around if they really want to.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
may not be able to leave Levi in Rochester for the road trip if he keeps this up

He's playing like he wants to displace UPL as the starter

Maybe that's what Levi and UPL need, a credible second goalie to force them to elevate their games

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I'm reluctantly resigned to Levi being the backup/1B in Buffalo, due to his fine play since being recalled (3 whole games), Adams' inability to acquire a decent vet, and Comrie being dreadful of late.

But wherever he plays, Levi needs starts. The problem is, so does UPL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad