Player Discussion All Purpose Goaltending Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Yes, I do. Its not hard to move cap space around if they really want to.

And the Sabres would save $1.8M. I honestly don't know why anyone thinks Comrie is a good NHL goalie. I'm not even sure he's a decent backup. It's all based on 19 games in Winnipeg.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
And the Sabres would save $1.8M. I honestly don't know why anyone thinks Comrie is a good NHL goalie. I'm not even sure he's a decent backup. It's all based on 19 games in Winnipeg.
Playoffs are a lost cause. If Levi and UPL are better served with getting the most starts possible in Rochester and Buffalo, respectively, then keep Comrie and dump him at the TDL if anyone wants him (doubtful but maybe an injury makes a team desperate for depth).

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Playoffs are a lost cause. If Levi and UPL are better served with getting the most starts possible in Rochester and Buffalo, respectively, then keep Comrie and dump him at the TDL if anyone wants him (doubtful but maybe an injury makes a team desperate for depth).
UPL cannot go to Rochester in any scenario. He gets claimed 100%. I would just start them both 50/50 in NHL. That's enough reps for Levi. This Comrie has any value is pretty close to the idea that Jacob Bryson has value and would get claimed. Nobody wants this junk, and if they do, great. With more cash, maybe GMKA can convince Pegula to use some extra money for free draft picks using our cap space.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
UPL cannot go to Rochester in any scenario. He gets claimed 100%. I would just start them both 50/50 in NHL. That's enough reps for Levi. This Comrie has any value is pretty close to the idea that Jacob Bryson has value and would get claimed. Nobody wants this junk, and if they do, great. With more cash, maybe GMKA can convince Pegula to use some extra money for free draft picks using our cap space.
I thought I was clear that Levi would go to Rochester to get the most starts, and UPL would stay in Buffalo to get the most starts (I said "respectively"). I don't really care much at this point how it goes, but if the front office wants Levi to get a lot of starts and they can't trade Comrie, then that's the answer. If they can ditch Comrie in a productive way, then by all means go 50/50 with UPL/Levi.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I think it is important to remember that prior to the recall, Levi saw more rubber than a tire factory. It was obvious when put in his reflexes were sharper and his positioning was better. Rebound control is still WIP. Bit pitting him back in a tandem where his workload is reduced would be detrimental to his progress imo. Same for UPL. They need work to stay sharp. As much as it pains me to see them carry Comrie, I think short and long term, the team and Levi are best served with him in Rochester. Perhaps with the understanding he is the tdl addition in the spring. Imdo not see enough work for both right now. Ideally replacing Comrie is the wish, but too old and cynical to believe in wishes coming true.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I thought I was clear that Levi would go to Rochester to get the most starts, and UPL would stay in Buffalo to get the most starts (I said "respectively"). I don't really care much at this point how it goes, but if the front office wants Levi to get a lot of starts and they can't trade Comrie, then that's the answer. If they can ditch Comrie in a productive way, then by all means go 50/50 with UPL/Levi.

A productive way is just to wave him completely -- sunk cost

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Its not that Edmonton thinks Comrie is good its that Campbell and Skinner is trash.

But like I said its 50-50 that they would give Comrie a chance since they have turned things around a bit.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Its not that Edmonton thinks Comrie is good its that Campbell and Skinner is trash.

But like I said its 50-50 that they would give Comrie a chance since they have turned things around a bit.

Skinner has won his last 6 and 9 of his last 11. He's only looked like ass in ONE of those games.

Dude has turned it around nicely. Pickard is proving to be capable as a backup.

Edmonton isn't in the Comrie market. They're kind of like us -- only in the goalie market if a legit #1 goalie somehow shakes loose.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

He is worse than them this year, which is almost impossible to understand. They are sunk costs, though, for the Oilers. Edmonton is not talking on $1.8 M in cap for another crap goalie who has looked horrific this year. The downside is clear and the upside is not obvious.

You also said that UPL was ECHL-level last year. Soooooo I'm liking Comrie's rebound potential this year.

He's had 54 career NHL games. What is he rebounding back to, the 19 games in Winnipeg two years ago getting starts against bad teams?

Reactions: dortt

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
He is worse than them this year, which is almost impossible to understand. They are sunk costs, though, for the Oilers. Edmonton is not talking on $1.8 M in cap for another crap goalie who has looked horrific this year. The downside is clear and the upside is not obvious.

He's had 54 career NHL games. What is he rebounding back to, the 19 games in Winnipeg two years ago getting starts against bad teams?
From my understanding the oilers are trying to unload Campbell. Not that anyone will take them.

Again this was just a hypothetical also I think Comrie is better than his stats if he went to a team that plays defense.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
From my understanding the oilers are trying to unload Campbell. Not that anyone will take them.

Again this was just a hypothetical also I think Comrie is better than his stats if he went to a team that plays defense.

Behind the same D

UPL: 1 game above .500. .907SP
Levi: 1 game over .500. .893 SP
Comrie: 4 games under .500. .863SP

One of the goalies is not like the other 2. Maybe it's time we stop making excuses for Comrie's play and accept that while the D does need to do better, the other 2 goalies are obtaining results behind the same D

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Behind the same D

UPL: 1 game above .500. .907SP
Levi: 1 game over .500. .893 SP
Comrie: 4 games under .500. .863SP

One of the goalies is not like the other 2. Maybe it's time we stop making excuses for Comrie's play and accept that while the D does need to do better, the other 2 goalies are obtaining results behind the same D
I said he was better than his stats. I didn't say he was good. Better than bad can still be bad.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
does not seem like Levi is going back to Rochester. He'd likely have been sent back already given we play tomorrow in Colorado

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Skinner has won his last 6 and 9 of his last 11. He's only looked like ass in ONE of those games.

Dude has turned it around nicely. Pickard is proving to be capable as a backup.

Edmonton isn't in the Comrie market. They're kind of like us -- only in the goalie market if a legit #1 goalie somehow shakes loose.

Edmonton is also in the "got to get rid of Campbell's contract" market.

Amazing that they changed coaches and now they are winning in part because they are getting goal tending. The old adage about show me a good coach and I'll show you a good goalie could be part of what is going on there.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Well if Levi is going to stay...FFS do something with Comrie. This is ass-clown garbage to keep three goalies at this point.

Going on a 3 game western road trip with UPL potentially being not quite 100%, I get it.

In the same vein -- going on a western trip with 12 forwards and 8 defensemen seems dumb as hell. Let's say Tuch comes back tonight, he probably replaces Murray....who probably gets demoted.

I'm much more annoyed by the defensemen situation. RJ needs to be playing more than every other game. I get that Bryson is important in the room, but enough is enough.......waive him. He's not being claimed.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

That's Edmonton? They have great stats. Campbell is in the minors to save the $1 M + in cap, and they just eat the rest. The issue with Comrie is he doesn't have as large a contract, but at $1.8 M, you can bury his entire contract if you take a flyer on the guy, so why would you?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Going on a 3 game western road trip with UPL potentially being not quite 100%, I get it.

In the same vein -- going on a western trip with 12 forwards and 8 defensemen seems dumb as hell. Let's say Tuch comes back tonight, he probably replaces Murray....who probably gets demoted.

I'm much more annoyed by the defensemen situation. RJ needs to be playing more than every other game. I get that Bryson is important in the room, but enough is enough.......waive him. He's not being claimed.
Once RyJo showed he could handle the NHL, Bryson should have been waived. It's just another head scratcher.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
That's Edmonton? They have great stats. Campbell is in the minors to save the $1 M + in cap, and they just eat the rest. The issue with Comrie is he doesn't have as large a contract, but at $1.8 M, you can bury his entire contract if you take a flyer on the guy, so why would you?

Not sure if you mis-typed (or my brain isn't yet functional)....but no team can bury Comrie's ENTIRE deal. Pretty sure the max bury is $1.15 M, so that means that any team would be on the hook for ~$650k if they demoted him.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
not waiving Bryson is a sign that the Sabres sole purpose of existence is to provide a country club atmosphere for its players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad