OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic -- Part Deux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Would you root for the Expos if they returned as a split squad with the Rays?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
???

79-89 Expos had one of the leagues top payrolls , in 77 signing Reggie Jackson came down to NYY vs Expos, 1980 Nolan Ryan was hometown Houston vs Expos. Gary Carter signed the most lucrative contract in MLB history in 1982.

The issue was Expos couldn’t lure UFAs - Jackson, Ryan, Don Sutton, Kirk Gibson etc..
Yup, hard to believe we could fall so far so quickly. From almost signing Reggie Jackson to financially forced trade of stars just few years later

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yup, hard to believe we could fall so far so quickly. From almost signing Reggie Jackson to financially forced trade of stars just few years later
ownership wherewithal & commitment is everything in pro sports - once Bronfman bailed it was all downhill.

There would never have been Mtl Expos team to begin with had Bronfman not stepped in back in 1967 @ the last minute - Quebec businessmen have always been all talk and no action to back it up… see Habs sale back in 2000-2001 season

Reactions: EXPOS123

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
ownership wherewithal & commitment is everything in pro sports - once Bronfman bailed it was all downhill.

There would never have been Mtl Expos team to begin with had Bronfman not stepped in back in 1967 @ the last minute - Quebec businessmen have always been all talk and no action to back it up… see Habs sale back in 2000-2001 season
Bronfman bailed because he seen what was coming. He is not stupid. Montreal is not a baseball city and baseball in general is declining.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Kind of insult to put minor league team there. I wish Expos back. But know I will never see it
The TV money now, as compared to back in the day is huge.............they could make it now, but as you say, they can't because there is no one interested in bringing them back....
It has always seemed that Montreal is a habs town, not a sports town........nothing seems to survive but the habs.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Kind of insult to put minor league team there. I wish Expos back. But know I will never see it

Why insult? Royals were apparently quite popular way back. If there is interest in baseball, which I doubt, people would come. Also a chance to promote local talent.

At the moment there is nothing.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Why insult? Royals were apparently quite popular way back. If there is interest in baseball, which I doubt, people would come. Also a chance to promote local talent.

After having major league team for 35 years quite a step down to minor league team

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
If someone in Quebec, would have been smart enough to buy the Expos, for dirt cheap back then, he would have made a lot of money, just by today's value of a major league franchise.

Reactions: SpeedyPotato

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I don't think I have it in me to ever cheer for another small market MLB team. I can't imagine a new Expos could ever afford to assemble a team like the 94'-95' squad.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The TV money now, as compared to back in the day is huge.............they could make it now, but as you say, they can't because there is no one interested in bringing them back....
It has always seemed that Montreal is a habs town, not a sports town........nothing seems to survive but the habs.

It kind of reminds me of Vancouver. Aside from the Canucks, Vancouver is an event town more than a sports town.

They get behind some event which only comes by once in a while. In Montreal's case, the best example is the F1 race.

Reactions: BLONG7

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If someone in Quebec, would have been smart enough to buy the Expos, for dirt cheap back then, he would have made a lot of money, just by today's value of a major league franchise.

Nobody in Quebec was touching the Habs at the time, let alone the expos.

The mid 90s to early 2000s were really lean years for Canadian teams. 1 baseball team, 1 basketball team, and 2 hockey teams were lost, with many other teams threatening to move as well.

Reactions: LeHab

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
After having major league team for 35 years quite a step down to minor league team

Sure but once again something is better than nothing, if there is interest in the sport as some claim. Winnipeg lost the Jets yet hosted an AHL team from 2001 until Jets came back. Quebec had Citadelles for a while + Remparts in Juniors. Heck Quebec city has a higher baseball caliber than Montreal.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Nobody in Quebec was touching the Habs at the time, let alone the expos.

The mid 90s to early 2000s were really lean years for Canadian teams. 1 baseball team, 1 basketball team, and 2 hockey teams were lost, with many other teams threatening to move as well.
Yup, and that's why it was an American who made a shit ton of money but buying and then selling the habs. Business people in Quebec had 0 vision and no balls.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sure but once again something is better than nothing, if there is interest in the sport as some claim. Winnipeg lost the Jets yet hosted an AHL team from 2001 until Jets came back. Quebec had Citadelles for a while + Remparts in Juniors. Heck Quebec city has a higher baseball caliber than Montreal.
I think you are comparing apples to oranges Winnipeg bleeds hockey. Montreal doesn't have the passion for baseball

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022

The Royals, Dodgers farm team I’m pretty sure had a lot of pizzazz, from Jackie Robinson to the Rifleman Chuck Conners. My dad used to tell me stories about them. Sad to say baseball just isn’t what it used to be. I see lots of barely half full stadiums now and when is the last time you saw kids playing on the sandlot. I know the game is slow but to me still magnificent! People want home runs and strikeouts, I think it takes away from the beauty of the game! Hope the Expos can come back someday, I will always remember those early games at Jarry Park!

Reactions: RealityHurts

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
The Royals, Dodgers farm team I’m pretty sure had a lot of pizzazz, from Jackie Robinson to the Rifleman Chuck Conners. My dad used to tell me stories about them. Sad to say baseball just isn’t what it used to be. I see lots of barely half full stadiums now and when is the last time you saw kids playing on the sandlot. I know the game is slow but to me still magnificent! People want home runs and strikeouts, I think it takes away from the beauty of the game! Hope the Expos can come back someday, I will always remember those early games at Jarry Park!
Agreed! Baseball is very fun to watch.. I hope it comes back.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Were you season ticket holder to Expos games?

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I even think the caisse de depot, lend him the money, how stupid is that, they could have found a Quebecer at least.

No Canadian buyer made a bid. Canadian loonie was in the toilet, Habs were bleeding money pre-cap while missing playoffs mixed with typical Canadian risk aversion. Conditions later improved but also big props to Boivin for turning finances around.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I'm against it. They don't even have a venue where they could play. Nobody wants to go to the Olympic Stadium, that place is depressing. The other thing is that they're never going to be able to retain talents unless they pay mucho dineros. We can't afford to pay a baseball star 30 millions a year in Montreal.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
And then there's this.Looks like the boss wants Tampa to shit or get off the pot.

Putting pressure on both cities, not surprised. Montreal is not getting a team back!! Morons didn't even want to spend money to possibly host some world cup games in 2026, would have generated so much cash!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad