OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic -- Part Deux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Would you root for the Expos if they returned as a split squad with the Rays?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Basketball and football seem to have passed baseball in popularity. When I was a kid baseball was far and away biggest sport.

It seems more boring than it use to be
Takes almost 4 hours some nights/days for a 9 inning game.....awful.
Playoff games are longer.....too many pitching changes, visits to the mound etc
They are trying to fix it, but it just takes too long to get a MLB game completed.

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
Baseball is a dead sport
I guess so..
FQfS-teXEAIp9t4.jpg

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
For those that dont remember. I do. Back in the day, almost every year the expose would develop good players and as soon as they did one of the BIG teams would just walkin and buy off the expose best players. over and over until the MTL fans revolted. After all what is the point when every year your team has NO CHANCE to win the world series. So what happened, the fan stayed home. The games were attended by at most 2-3 thousand people. Now when the Expose complained about the lack of a salary cap so to even out the teams, for 3-4 years expose we promised that the MLB would create such a new rule but until then please beg you fans to fill the BIG O. Uhntil it's bye bye MTL no more Expose. Now some want the team back. How many years ago did all this happen? The MLB has had ALL THIS TIME and what has happened, NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING. The new Expose would again become a farm team for the RICH TEAMS. BaseBall is FIXED for the rich teams and they dont want to even out the odds of regular teams. I remember all the lies of the MBL owners to fix the CAP. I will NEVER FORGET the LIES, and PROMISES MADE. To to HELL with MLB until it"s even for all teams.

• Love
Reactions: Mr Mom

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
For those that dont remember. I do. Back in the day, almost every year the expose would develop good players and as soon as they did one of the BIG teams would just walkin and buy off the expose best players. over and over until the MTL fans revolted. After all what is the point when every year your team has NO CHANCE to win the world series. So what happened, the fan stayed home. The games were attended by at most 2-3 thousand people. Now when the Expose complained about the lack of a salary cap so to even out the teams, for 3-4 years expose we promised that the MLB would create such a new rule but until then please beg you fans to fill the BIG O. Uhntil it's bye bye MTL no more Expose. Now some want the team back. How many years ago did all this happen? The MLB has had ALL THIS TIME and what has happened, NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING. The new Expose would again become a farm team for the RICH TEAMS. BaseBall is FIXED for the rich teams and they dont want to even out the odds of regular teams. I remember all the lies of the MBL owners to fix the CAP. I will NEVER FORGET the LIES, and PROMISES MADE. To to HELL with MLB until it"s even for all teams.
???

79-89 Expos had one of the leagues top payrolls , in 77 signing Reggie Jackson came down to NYY vs Expos, 1980 Nolan Ryan was hometown Houston vs Expos. Gary Carter signed the most lucrative contract in MLB history in 1982.

The issue was Expos couldn’t lure UFAs - Jackson, Ryan, Don Sutton, Kirk Gibson etc..

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
The new Expose would again become a farm team for the RICH TEAMS. BaseBall is FIXED for the rich teams and they dont want to even out the odds of regular teams. I remember all the lies of the MBL owners to fix the CAP. I will NEVER FORGET the LIES, and PROMISES MADE. To to HELL with MLB until it"s even for all teams.

You are right in stating Montreal would continue to be a farm. UFAs would also continue shunning Montreal.

Owners definitely want a hard cap and fixed revenue sharing like NHL/NBA but MLBPA always fights against. Among major leagues, MLBPA is the strongest union.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Expos made a lot of bad trades too. Most not because of salary. Expos were the epitome of bad trades. Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez went for peanuts in return. Gary Carter, Ken Sungleton for peanuts. John Wettleland, Alou, Grissom. Larry Walker, Andre Dawson was allowed to walk for nil.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Expos made a lot of bad trades too. Most not because of salary. Expos were the epitome of bad trades. Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez went for peanuts in return. Gary Carter, Ken Sungleton for peanuts. John Wettleland, Alou, Grissom. Larry Walker, Andre Dawson was allowed to walk for nil.
Alot of bad trades, because at that point they did not want guys who made alot of money............Brochu era...nuff said.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Alot of bad trades, because at that point they did not want guys who made alot of money............Brochu era...nuff said.
Mike Marshall, Randy Johnson, Ken Singleton trades were not finances related. If we don't trade Singleton and Marshall we probably sign Reggie Jackson. Those late 70s early 80s Expos win many Works Series. Situation never would have detiorated like it did.

Same as we had kept Randy Johnson in early 90s

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Mike Marshall, Randy Johnson, Ken Singleton trades were not finances related. If we don't trade Singleton and Marshall we probably sign Reggie Jackson. Those late 70s early 80s Expos win many Works Series. Situation never would have detiorated like it did.

Same as we had kept Randy Johnson in early 90s
True.........you are going way back though, was not thinking about Singelton, and Marshall, those were doozies...
Great times, that could have been better..............tough to swallow.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
MLB is in a bad place right now game is boring as hell to watch and pace of play is atrocious . As for the expos , best logo in the game baby

It's a much better financial climate now for smaller teams than when the expos were around with their revenue sharing scheme.

I'm sure they wish they had a younger demographic though.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
True.........you are going way back though, was not thinking about Singelton, and Marshall, those were doozies...
Great times, that could have been better..............tough to swallow.
Yeah I know. A lot of heartache back then after those trades. Marshall won Cy Young next year after we traded him. For next 3 years he was best player in baseball. Mike Torrez was solid starter too. All went for nothing. Singleton finished 2nd in MVP voting twice with Baltimore. We got nothing for those three.

Davis and McNally was washed up

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
???

79-89 Expos had one of the leagues top payrolls , in 77 signing Reggie Jackson came down to NYY vs Expos, 1980 Nolan Ryan was hometown Houston vs Expos. Gary Carter signed the most lucrative contract in MLB history in 1982.

The issue was Expos couldn’t lure UFAs - Jackson, Ryan, Don Sutton, Kirk Gibson etc..
Nolan Ryan in an Expos uniform would have looked wicked BOSS!!!

Mr Mom

Sep 17, 2014
You are 100% correct. The Expos had by far THE best scouting and development in all of MLB. I would love for a salary cap in baseball and especially for the Expos to come back. I think that baseball fans deserve BOTH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad