Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It came out on the PHNX stream last night after the game that Shane Doan's jersey retirement banner was left by Meruelo and the ownership group at Gila River Arena, and that it's been sitting in some guy's house this whole time.

I STG, I hope Meruelo is the grifter he's rumored to be and skips town, because if this shitheel heads up a Coyotes expansion down the line, I'm going to turn into someone I hate - an Arizona fan who hates the home team.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
It came out on the PHNX stream last night after the game that Shane Doan's jersey retirement banner was left by Meruelo and the ownership group at Gila River Arena, and that it's been sitting in some guy's house this whole time.

I STG, I hope Meruelo is the grifter he's rumored to be and skips town, because if this shitheel heads up a Coyotes expansion down the line, I'm going to turn into someone I hate - an Arizona fan who hates the home team.
Something to consider. Is it possible he’s more of an absentee owner who made the mistake of letting his usual band of slimeballs run the sports team operations. Perhaps much of what’s coming out is also news to him. It’s still his fault in this scenario. The buck stops with him, of course. It’s his fault. But if it turns out to be less malicious than we fear, and he makes changes that we can witness with an improved culture of leadership around the roadrunners and he ultimately does buy that land and develop an arena and he expresses remorse at how he handled things previously and vows to bring in respected people with actual industry experience rather than his usually cronies…well…maybe.

That’s so many freaking “ifs”….

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Something to consider. Is it possible he’s more of an absentee owner who made the mistake of letting his usual band of slimeballs run the sports team operations. Perhaps much of what’s coming out is also news to him. It’s still his fault in this scenario. The buck stops with him, of course. It’s his fault. But if it turns out to be less malicious than we fear, and he makes changes that we can witness with an improved culture of leadership around the roadrunners and he ultimately does buy that land and develop an arena and he expresses remorse at how he handled things previously and vows to being in experienced people with actual industry experience rather than his usually cronies…well…maybe.

That’s so many freaking “ifs”….
Best case scenario, I think.

What I think is actually happening is that he treats this like an asset shell game and that everyone below him are the ones who actually care and are professional (except his idiot kids). I doubt Meruelo knows the name of a single person in the organization below his admin board. Ditching the team is like selling a side table.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Best case scenario, I think.

What I think is actually happening is that he treats this like an asset shell game and that everyone below him are the ones who actually care and are professional (except his idiot kids). I doubt Meruelo knows the name of a single person in the organization below his admin board. Ditching the team is like selling a side table.
95% chance you’re right.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
https://x.com/gambo987/status/1779012335660880017?s=12

So hockey operations would include..

GM
Scouts
Player development
Coaches Trainers?

Also looks like AM will retain ownership of the RoadRunners, try to bring them to Mullet, and negotiate to be the farm team of Utah
Man I hope we get an Utah affiliated Roadrunners team in Tempe. The current ECHL Grizzlies operating out of the Maverik in Utah can move to Tucson. The NHL team can then take the name.

NHL: Utah Grizzlies
AHL: Tempe Roadrunners
ECHL: Tucson Gila Monsters

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I don't know what time they put the paper to bed but the relocation didn't even make the front page of the Republic.

• Wow
Reactions: Boris Zubov

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Man I hope we get an Utah affiliated Roadrunners team in Tempe. The current ECHL Grizzlies operating out of the Maverik in Utah can move to Tucson. The NHL team can then take the name.

NHL: Utah Grizzlies
AHL: Tempe Roadrunners
ECHL: Tucson Gila Monsters
Grizzlies aren't moving. No reason to.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I bet there will some kind of fan protest/rally at the State Land building on auction day. Meruelo will probably send a lackey to do his bidding.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Nah fam, you can start with me, the guy who literally warned you about Alex Meruelo and this outcome four years ago. :laugh:

When Petey and Craig are drunk on the after show airing their "dirty laundry", remember the very first thing I told all of you.

Craig Morgan is a hack and was in Meruelo's pocket this entire time allllllllll the way up until the exact second he got screwed over.
People believe and hear what they want.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I don't know what time they put the paper to bed but the relocation didn't even make the front page of the Republic.
It's because no one in the Valley cares.

I bet there will some kind of fan protest/rally at the State Land building on auction day. Meruelo will probably send a lackey to do his bidding.
Only if it's a group of fans on this board.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
https://x.com/gambo987/status/1779012335660880017?s=12

So hockey operations would include..

GM
Scouts
Player development
Coaches Trainers?

Also looks like AM will retain ownership of the RoadRunners, try to bring them to Mullet, and negotiate to be the farm team of Utah
Craig mentioned on one of the PHNX podcasts there are 31 people in hockey ops that have contracts expiring. Maybe this is more or less the norm, idk, but hopefully this doesn't create an exodus of some of the gems. I would expect the scouts shouldn't be an issue as they aren't based in AZ anyway. :dunno:

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Correct me if I misunderstood but wasn't there something in the auction specifications about the land being used to build a hockey arena? Is there any legal obligation as to what the land is used for?

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Just wanted to say I'm feeling the anger at this ownership and the circumstances on behalf of you guys. Had plenty of ownership holding the team hostage over the years and know exactly what that feels like. I also see right through some of the insincere "sorry guys, I know I shat on the market forever and constantly took glee in hoping AZ lost its team, but hey I actually feel kind of bad for you guys now and no hard feelings eh?" posts I see on places like Fugu's Business forum.

I hope AZ 2.0 won't involve crooked ownership in any way shape or form and the fresh start gives you guys the team you deserve.

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
I cannot possibly imagine taking offense to a comment about the name of a hypothetical ECHL team in Tucson from somebody whose only previous post here was condolences to your fanbase but I get that hard times angry up the blood
If memory serves me right, you’ve done nothing but bash this franchise. Unless you’ve turned over a new leaf, that is why.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
If memory serves me right, you’ve done nothing but bash this franchise. Unless you’ve turned over a new leaf, that is why.
I haven't regularly posted about hockey on HF since like 2015 but I've never, to my knowledge, bashed Coyotes fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad