Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
We'd better know next week. And not from XG. The only way Alex Meruelo can even begin to start to earn any trust is to appear personally and be transparent.

There is a better chance of monkeys flying out of my ass than that happening.
I hang a lot of this on XG. He was the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time. A Harvard guy with a Wall Street mentality. He was an easy guy for the Tempe opponents to point too as the arrogant billionaire who wants your tax money. Never liked him.

If Ahron Cohen was the face I think TED would’ve had a different outcome.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I hang a lot of this on XG. He was the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time. A Harvard guy with a Wall Street mentality. He was an easy guy for the Tempe opponents to point too as the arrogant billionaire who wants your tax money. Never liked him.

If Ahron Cohen was the face I think TED would’ve had a different outcome.
It really is amazing that these guys didn’t have the foresight to realize that TED was realistically their last and only hope…and then actually have a real sense of urgency about getting out in front of people as often as possible and communicating the details. Just such a half assed effort. If that vote had went their way we wouldn’t be talking about any of this right now, and I still can’t really believe how little they did to educate the right people that needed the information.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
It really is amazing that these guys didn’t have the foresight to realize that TED was realistically their last and only hope…and then actually have a real sense of urgency about getting out in front of people as often as possible and communicating the details. Just such a half assed effort. If that vote had went their way we wouldn’t be talking about any of this right now, and I still can’t really believe how little they did to educate the right people that needed the information.

You're correct. If the vote went his way you all would be talking about how the City of Phoenix is the devil and the Airport IGA lawsuit is into it's 13th month and shovels still haven't touched that landfill.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
Of course! Feel very strong sympathy for fans stuck with arena trouble/bad ownership/criminals involved in a franchise!
From one Islanders fan to another, thank you for your kind words. Tough loss today, huh?
Anyway, I live in Arizona and I've been here for 12 years (although I did go back and fourth to LA for work). Being a huge fan of hockey, I took an immediate liking to the Coyotes, because I was aware of their precarious situation in AZ. It was really important they made a success here. Being an Islanders fan, I recognized a lot of the issues they were dealing with. It was deja vu for me.

As time went on, I really latched on to the team, and became a big fan. It's like having 2 children, the Islanders were my eldest, and probably my favorite (I don't have children, but from what I understand, most parents love all of their children, but they tend to have a favorite). The fact the two teams only plays twice a year and the idea that they'd meet in the playoffs (it would have to be in the finals) is so remote, when they played, the result didn't really matter to me. Those games never seemed to have much meaning.

I think what makes this especially painful, is the timing. Five years ago when the team was purchased by Alex Muerelo, the GM, Bill Armstrong asked the fans to be patient. Armstrong was upfront that the team needed to start from scratch and it would be a complete re-build. There would be tough years ahead as the team basically tanked but when they came out of it, the Coyotes would have a wealth of young talent and emerging stars. We started to see Logan Colley emerge, Dylan Gunther, Josh Doan, Matias Maccelli and waiting in the wings Conor Geeki to name a few. All "home grown". After years of losing games, journeymen players and to some degree humiliation, things finally started to look bright, the wait looked like it was over.
And who will benefit...the fans in Utah. The AZ fans put in the time and Utah get's the results.
There's something so unfair about it all. If the AZ is given another shot at an expansion team, the fans will need to put up with another 5 years of building a team. Deja vu.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Will ASU allow the Roadrunners to play at the Mullett? Seems like that can't be assumed. It's a different team with different circumstances.

AZDesertKnight

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I’m back in if Meruelo actually gets this all done. I haven’t cared about players or on ice stuff for YEARS now. What’s another 3-4 years?

Bring Auston Matthews home as a part of expansion when his contract expires and I’m back.

That said, I doubt he can pull it off

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I’m back in if Meruelo actually gets this all done. I haven’t cared about players or on ice stuff for YEARS now. What’s another 3-4 years?

Bring Auston Matthews home as a part of expansion when his contract expires and I’m back.

That said, I doubt he can pull it off

New arena, new expansion team, Auston Matthews...you don't ask for much. :DD

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ

What kind of interest can you get with $1 billion?

You can purchase an expansion team for $1 billion, but you still need money to set up operations from scouting to the GM. I suppose Mureulo has the money. If he does decide to go through with it, hopefully the timing will coincide with when the arena will be ready to open. If the date for the arena is 2027, he probably needs to purchase the expansion team sometime next year to be in place for 2027.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I really want this to happen. We need something to hold on to.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Will ASU allow the Roadrunners to play at the Mullett? Seems like that can't be assumed. It's a different team with different circumstances.

Yeah I'm skeptical of this plan too. From being in and around Mullett quite frequently the relationship between the Coyotes and ASU there has always been tenuous at best. In the environment where the team is trying to get a nearby stadium built that would also help the university? Sure that's one thing.

In this environment? Why.

That said there could be some contractual issues relating to Muerelo directly and his investment in the facilities there that would give him some leverage to use it for the Roadrunners. I don't see minor league hockey being terribly successful here though. This town barely supports deep rooted major league teams consistently.

AZDesertKnight

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
What kind of interest can you get with $1 billion?

You can purchase an expansion team for $1 billion, but you still need money to set up operations from scouting to the GM. I suppose Mureulo has the money. If he does decide to go through with it, hopefully the timing will coincide with when the arena will be ready to open. If the date for the arena is 2027, he probably needs to purchase the expansion team sometime next year to be in place for 2027.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I really want this to happen. We need something to hold on to.
As mad as I am at AM. This is obviously an NHL initiative.

Reactions: Prarievarg

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
As mad as I am at AM. This is obviously an NHL initiative.

Yeah. I think there's still plenty of room to be upset with their incompetence in TED and subsequent dealings for sure. But the league seems to have done a 180 on being willing to stay in Mullett. Which was always a stupid ass plan let's be honest, but one they clearly approved of on some level at the time only to about face on.

Either way there aren't really a lot of good guys here.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
That said there could be some contractual issues relating to Muerelo directly and his investment in the facilities there that would give him some leverage to use it for the Roadrunners. I don't see minor league hockey being terribly successful here though. This town barely supports deep rooted major league teams consistently.
that’s where the 4600 seats come in

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping

The way I read this, this season has been a charade orchestrated by the NHL. The timing of the SLC rumors now makes even more sense. Not only did they shift focus from the sexual assault news developments, but they also ensured the Coyotes don't make the playoffs the same season the NHL had decided to pull the plug.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
The way I read this, this season has been a charade orchestrated by the NHL. The timing of the SLC rumors now makes even more sense. Not only did they shift focus from the sexual assault news developments, but they also ensured the Coyotes don't make the playoffs the same season the NHL had decided to pull the plug.
The timing of the rumors about SLC leaking do seem pretty curious now. I mean it doesn’t really matter at this point I guess. But it seems like there is a decent chance that the league 1) didn’t want the optics of playoff hockey at Mullet and 2) didn’t want to have to relocate a team coming off a playoff berth as the second youngest team in the league. The team also could have handled it better and kept playing good hockey. Even if the rumors didn’t leak in January I doubt they would have made it anyway…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad