Speculation: Player Discussion: Will Smith

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
There is no benefit to the Sharks or Smith to him playing in that tournament. It's all risk and no reward. We already know he can dominate that level of play.

Injury risk is an acceptable and unavoidable cost of him playing and developing in the NHL.
The benefit is him getting to play high level hockey for a month on a team that actually has a chance to win and where he can be a major contributor

Playing on this team and being one of the least productive forwards on the worst team in the league can't be good for his confidence, send him to the World Juniors and let him remind himself, "hey, I'm actually a damn good hockey player" and bring that renewed sense of self back to the team after the tournament

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The benefit is him getting to play high level hockey for a month on a team that actually has a chance to win and where he can be a major contributor

Playing on this team and being one of the least productive forwards on the worst team in the league can't be good for his confidence, send him to the World Juniors and let him remind himself, "hey, I'm actually a damn good hockey player" and bring that renewed sense of self back to the team after the tournament
Lmao at referring to the World Junior Championships as "high level hockey." He's literally playing in the NHL!

If Smith needs to beat up on children in order to boost his confidence that's a huge red flag. He's a professional now.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Lmao at referring to the World Junior Championships as "high level hockey." He's literally playing in the NHL!

If Smith needs to beat up on children in order to boost his confidence that's a huge red flag. He's a professional now.
He sure isn't performing like a professional right now, he could use the confidence boost

To laugh at referencing the WJC as "high level hockey" is you continuing to be obtuse, it is high level hockey, I did not say "professional level hockey", but Smith is not an NHL caliber player right now and isn't being sent to the minors so letting him play at a tournament where he can actually perform without the bruise to the ego a demotion may bring isn't a bad idea

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He sure isn't performing like a professional right now, he could use the confidence boost

To laugh at referencing the WJC as "high level hockey" is you continuing to be obtuse, it is high level hockey, I did not say "professional level hockey", but Smith is not an NHL caliber player right now and isn't being sent to the minors so letting him play at a tournament where he can actually perform without the bruise to the ego a demotion may bring isn't a bad idea
He's looked like he belongs in the NHL in some games and below that level in others. If he needs a confidence boost, the AHL makes a lot more sense than a U20 tournament.

The vast majority of WJC players, even on the good teams, will never have NHL careers. Smith dominating those kids as one of the oldest players in the tournament would be completely meaningless. And if he does get injured or underperforms for some reason, that's a disaster.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
He's looked like he belongs in the NHL in some games and below that level in others. If he needs a confidence boost, the AHL makes a lot more sense than a U20 tournament.

The vast majority of WJC players, even on the good teams, will never have NHL careers. Smith dominating those kids as one of the oldest players in the tournament would be completely meaningless. And if he does get injured or underperforms for some reason, that's a disaster.
As you've pointed out, there's a secret handshake deal crafted in a smokey back room behind the peaky blinders that Smith is guaranteed not to be sent to the AHL, so that's not an option, he'll just have to continue to be less productive than Carl Grundstrom at the NHL level because the World Junior Championships are just so far beneath his level, to send him there would not only be a waste of time but an insult

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
As you've pointed out, there's a secret handshake deal crafted in a smokey back room behind the peaky blinders that Smith is guaranteed not to be sent to the AHL, so that's not an option, he'll just have to continue to be less productive than Carl Grundstrom at the NHL level because the World Junior Championships are just so far beneath his level, to send him there would not only be a waste of time but an insult
That's correct. Maybe the Sharks can get a special age exemption and send Gushchin to the WJC instead.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
That's correct. Maybe the Sharks can get a special age exemption and send Gushchin to the WJC instead.
tenor.gif

CHALUPA

Oct 9, 2008
San Francisco , CA

I think playing the WJC rather than NHL games could be a similar bruise to the ego as playing in the AHL. Feels unlikely.

Selfishly, I just want to see him develop against professionals, game by game.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I think playing the WJC rather than NHL games could be a similar bruise to the ego as playing in the AHL. Feels unlikely.

Selfishly, I just want to see him develop against professionals, game by game.
It's pretty common for eligible players to be sent, it's not seen as an insult around the league

Look at Poitras on the Bruins last year, and that's a more intense hockey market, nobody saw it as a slight for him to be sent to the tournament, they did what they thought was best for the player

Reactions: CHALUPA

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It's pretty common for eligible players to be sent, it's not seen as an insult around the league

Look at Poitras on the Bruins last year, and that's a more intense hockey market, nobody saw it as a slight for him to be sent to the tournament, they did what they thought was best for the player
The only counter is having already won it does Smith even want to go?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'm sure he wouldn't mind the vacation, lol, this season has to be a slog
It'll be interesting to see where he and the team are at when he has to make a decision.

No US team has won back to back. He probably wants to go to win it.
No doubt, but he may also just have a "been there done that" mentality and wants to move on. If he was that determined he would have stayed at Boston after getting so close last year.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Knowing they mapped out his development plan they definitely discussed the possibility of him playing WJC. There have been a few pundits who have mentioned Smith (and even Celebrini) playing in WJC so I do think there is some smoke to the story.

I say let both play. It would make for some fun viewing over the holidays.

Smith, Musty, Svobada?
Celebrini, Dickinson
Halttunen
LSW?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Knowing they mapped out his development plan they definitely discussed the possibility of him playing WJC. There have been a few pundits who have mentioned Smith (and even Celebrini) playing in WJC so I do think there is some smoke to the story.

I say let both play. It would make for some fun viewing over the holidays.

Smith, Musty, Svobada?
Celebrini, Dickinson
Halttunen
LSW?
I doubt Celebrini plays. Just like Bedard didn't play last year.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Imo, they would have put him on IR if it were a longer term issue. I don’t think there’s enough evidence of it being a super long term issue, to warrant being this concerned about it. Anything is possible, but it doesn’t strike me as the most likely outcome.
He is on IR.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Not the most surprising considering we play tomorrow also. He was going to either play today and miss tomorrow or miss this game and play tomorrow.
He's not a goalie. Learning to play in back to backs shouldn't be bad for his development. I suppose the only reason it makes sense is because we basically play once every second or third day for the next month so taking one of those days off means a 5 day break, but still....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad