Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The current Salt Lake City arena seats 12,000 for hockey.
One other thing, have the Salt Lake City voters approved the bill to
spend taxpayer money for an arena? It would be great if they didn't and the
team was in limbo.

Where did you get the 12k number? It’s listed at 14k on several places that I looked including this article:

IMG_6173.jpeg

And it sounds like there’s a plan and plenty of political support for a new downtown SLC arena.

March 1, 2024 article

Utah lawmakers approve downtown NBA/NHL arena bill as they seek 'vibrant' capital​

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah lawmakers have approved a bill that paves the way for a new arena in downtown Salt Lake City that could be the home of the Utah Jazz and a potential National Hockey League team.

Utah senators voted 22-4 Friday to concur with changes that the House of Representatives made to SB272Thursday night before the House voted 50-20 to approve the measure. The bill now heads to Gov. Spencer Cox's desk for final approval.

Rep. Jon Hawkins, R-Pleasant Grove, the bill's House sponsor, introduced a substitution on Thursday that tweaked the name from a "reinvestment" to a "revitalization" zone. It also adds new language tied to downtown safety concerns, including new public safety, homelessness mitigation, transportation and parking plans for the zone.

However, Hawkins said changes don't alter the essence of the bill. It still sets up the framework for an NBA or NHL owner — such as Ryan Smith and the Smith Entertainment Group — to approach Salt Lake City and the state and agree to a plan to revitalize the area, including a new arena for the Utah Jazz and an NHL franchise.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The current Salt Lake City arena seats 12,000 for hockey.
One other thing, have the Salt Lake City voters approved the bill to
spend taxpayer money for an arena? It would be great if they didn't and the
team was in limbo.
They didn't need taxpayer approval. The government just approved it. Just like that.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Where did you get the 12k number? It’s listed at 14k on several places that I looked including this article:

The Delta Center holds 11k for hockey - the rest of the seats are obstructed. They can play statistics and numbers about total capacity all they want, but that's the reality. I've been to too many events there not to know.

Is that also written in the book of mormon?
Yes.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
For the Jazz it's Danny Ainge (familiar Arizona name) who reports to Smith and serves as CEO of basketball operations and alternate governor. GM reports to him.

Could definitely see Smith doing the same with the hockey team. Any LDS hockey executives out there :)

Ok yes, Gueterriz definitely wouldn’t follow the team to SLC.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
A NYR fan here; I come in peace.

I feel for all of you Coyotes fans; it looks like the team will be moving on. As a fan of the Montreal Expos, I know that this really stings for all of you. There is a fan base for the Coyotes and have seen recently that they are passionate. Many jokes have been made at you guy's expense with regard of being a Coyotes fan, but when the team was good you showed up at games.

You have seen bad owners, bad hockey management, arenas in less than ideal locations. You have put up with a lot over these many years. It's sad and unfortunate that when this team is ready to compete for a Stanley Cup, it won't be in Arizona. Maybe you get an expansion franchise at some point in the not-too-distant future (if it were me, I'd be less than enthused if Merullo is involved with that).

Hockey in Arizona has produced a lot of positives for hockey and the NHL (players coming from ARI; Austen Matthews being the prime example). You have a long history with the game; hopefully, there will be another/better chapter coming in the not-too-distant future.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I was pretty ticked to see the PHNX group groveling before Frank S and Friedman..

Until the NHL it AM says different, I believe the Salt Lake talk is plant B

Frank S has been wrong so many times , as well as Friedman .Friedman is a class act , but he reported earlier in the year stuff that was incorrect, then came on admitting he knew less than Craig did

XG said relocation is the only option if the auction doesn’t go through.. this was 5 days ago

Then it was reported that AM has been involved with talks about selling to SLC.. and that he has been for some time. He wouldn’t send XG out to make a statement if the plan was to sell before the auction.

I feel bad for the players having to answer questions innVCR tonight and then in AB

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
So AZ finally bit the bullet and decided to do a rebuild correctly, and now when it’s about to be on the upswing they’re going to take all of the scouting staff and the players that BA has built, and ship it off to be a turnkey expansion franchise somewhere else where they’ll likely have instant success…and then in 3-4 years AZ will get a new team again and have to start over with modified expansion draft rules that make it harder to have a great team right away. This all sounds about par for the course…

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I guess when Meruelo said “I sure as shit want to win!” he meant financially. As in an ROI on a flip.
It's always been about the money. The difference here is if that billion number is true, especially with the state of the economy, taking the cash and starting another development project without the stink of the Coyotes probably puts a ton more cash in his pocket. When the team was only worth like 100 mil more than he owed on it, the arena project was the best play. If this was ever about the team and, God forbid, the fans, he would have at least tried to make it work in Glendale until he had something in the bag, as in put a damn winning product on the ice and market to the fans that are actually in the surrounding area your arena is in. He started shitting on the arena and the fans before the ink was dry. Started out stepping on his dick and continued until today. At least he's consistent.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Sure seems like it's a done deal.

The segment from Pete and Craig after Friedman left was incredibly damning.

5 days ago we had the President of the organization say that it didn't matter what anyone said, they were going to get the arena built, win the auction, and we were going to do it together, that AM was committed to doing this, and that they were going to do their damnedest to keep the team here.

And today- not yesterday, not a week ago, not 5 days ago, the whole staff finds out that they're going to potentially be out of a job, and that this is happening? Craig and Pete said that as of yesterday there's no news and we're just waiting for the land auction date? That employees are contacting THEM to find out information? That Meruelo and the team have been COMPLETELY silent the entire time? That it's likely that we're going to get the arena done? Months ago we knew they were going to have to play 3 more years minimum even if the Tempe vote went through, the NHL said they are aware and are fine with it, and then suddenly things change a few months later in the span of a f***ing week or two? And you let us keep believing the entire time that things would be fine?

I couldn't care less if AM gets a guaranteed team in 5 years or 8 years or 10 years or whatever as an expansion team. You think I'm ever going to root for a team that has an owner who lied to employees and fans for weeks about relocation?

Meruelo can take his bills and shove them up his ass if he thinks that.

Just another low point in the Coyotes ownership existence apparently. They certainly had me fooled.

I'm not entirely convinced this is going to happen because it still makes no f***ing sense to me why it would happen this way and why it would happen before the auction but it sounds like Meruelo is just more delusional and a scumbag than I had ever thought.

Regardless of what ends up happening it's been a real 10 years. Especially the certain users on here who know who they are and how much I love them.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Another opposing fan here, this time a Hawks fan, giving condolences.

Your management failed you, maybe even your fellow Arizonans. But the die hard Yotes fans who frequent HF? You have stuck with this team through hell and it's a shame this is how it'll (likely) end for you. You are who I feel for in all this, and why I hate seeing this happen.

Hope you all will stick around on HF, whether with the Utah fanbase or a different one.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
You also need to get expansion done before the next CBA because the players are pissed off they aren’t getting any of that money. That’s in like 3 years so how the hell does Arizona 2.0 fit that timeframe.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Also Google says Meruelo’s net worth is twice that of Smith’s so what the hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad