Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Keller is the only core guy I hope doesn’t ask out. I wouldn’t say the younger guys are core right now and who cares if they want out bc they don’t have rights anyway. But guys like Crouse and Schmaltz, sure.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Can someone give a coles notes of what all the buzz is about?

Cant be bothered to read thru 30+ pages to catchup.
Seravelli and some random ESPN person from NJ say that AM and the NHL are in talks with SLC/Smith to relocate the team to SLC before next season and that Meruelo is looking to sell the team to the NHL for an >= 1B figure and then the NHL will relocate the team SLC and sell to Smith. There's some kind of clause reportedly that AM will get first dibs on an expansion team in Arizona within 5 years. Reportedly they want the deal to be done before April 18th / end of season before the players leave.

All of this is then confirmed by Friedman who says the same.

Craig and Petey and Leah have an "emergency podcast" on PHNX where they invite Servelli and Friedman on, they re-iterate more of the same, ask some questions about how it doesn't make sense to do this when the auction is coming up, etc, and then apologize to Seravelli and Gambo. They say that they haven't heard anything from the organization and neither have the staff of the org.

The rest of it is pretty much lamenting the state of the franchise and ownership, calling AM and XG out, and saying how much it meant to them.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I think the auction was actually Plan B all along. The NHL pulled a fast one on us all.
Right Plan A was Tempe, B auction .. C relocate

Meurello invested money into the Mullet after having agreements from the NHL to play there..

I am not sure they can pull this relocation off unless AM allows them to , and 5 days ago he said he was committed to Winning the auction and keeping the team here.

I also can’t see him willing to lose what has already been built.. BA, draft picks, rookies etc

I guess we shall see

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Right Plan A was Tempe, B auction .. C relocate

Meurello invested money into the Mullet after having agreements from the NHL to play there..

I am not sure they can pull this relocation off unless AM allows them to , and 5 days ago he said he was committed to Winning the auction and keeping the team here.

I also can’t see him willing to lose what has already been built.. BA, draft picks, rookies etc

I guess we shall see
No, in the scenario you just posted the auction was plan C. After TED, relocation wasn't a fallback, it was the plan all along. The north phoenix land was a ruse to hide the lame duck season.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
If this it boys, DM me your socials.

We've all become friends over the years of putting up with this mess. I've met several of you over the years and I'd hate to lose touch over this nonsense. You're not getting rid of me that easily, unless you want to.

Same here. PM for my social.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This might be a dumb question, but why can’t/don’t the Coyotes go play in the old Gila River Arena or where the Suns play?
Doesn’t work in Glendale. They wanted a 15 year lease. We did not.

Suns arena doesn’t have ice. Not does it have the revenue streams for hockey that are needed in the long run.

Reactions: Cowumbus

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Guess the 1864 law didn't cover hockey teams, the only silver lining here is I won't be financially supporting this state in anyway moving forward and a millionaire sexual assaulter who bought himself out of charges is no longer associated with the team. Not spending a few extra million at the TDL for retention of contracts was a warning this owner has no interest in the team's future, this was clearly the motive long term. Would be surprised if AM could have even afforded the development of the 100 acres without the $1b buy out, the auction request all happened well after Smith offered to buy the team.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
What's always been the main problem with this franchise in Arizona is we've never had an Arizonan owner or ownership group. It's always been guys from somewhere else that kinda want a team but whose first priority has always been to expand their wealth. The team is a distant second on the list. That's why they've had one hand out and one foot out the door from day 1. Gimme or I'm going. There's no secret as to why there's so few die-hards that want to go to games no matter what part of town they are playing in or how small the arena is. The team has been actively pushing fans away for years through their play on the ice, community/fan relations (or lack their of) and poor business practices. Almost like they've got to this point on purpose and if he sells the team for a billion, he's an evil genius. Always follow the money.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
What's always been the main problem with this franchise in Arizona is we've never had an Arizonan owner or ownership group. It's always been guys from somewhere else that kinda want a team but whose first priority has always been to expand their wealth. The team is a distant second on the list. That's why they've had one hand out and one foot out the door from day 1. Gimme or I'm going. There's no secret as to why there's so few die-hards that want to go to games no matter what part of town they are playing in or how small the arena is. The team has been actively pushing fans away for years through their play on the ice, community/fan relations (or lack their of) and poor business practices. Almost like they've got to this point on purpose and if he sells the team for a billion, he's an evil genius. Always follow the money.
I'm still talking shit about west Valley, Remo!

pew pew

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I mean if all this is true i guess its cool that we could have hockey here in the future. Ive been pretty checked out the last couple years tbh so the numbness has long set in. If this is what has to happen so be it. It was a fun ride. Hoping a miracle can be pulled off but theres way too much smoke here to not expect the fire over the horizon. Cheers boys. Ive lurked mainly here but done it for well over a decade. At least a resolution is coming. Finally we can all exhale.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad