Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
@The Feckless Puck - do you think there’s a good shot they’ll call them the Salt Lake Salamanders? Or nah? ;)

That at least would be cool. It's gonna be something stupid like the Buzz or the Sting or something ridiculous like that. If they were smart they'd do what we did and bring back the only good team name they ever had in that city - the Golden Eagles. But Vegas would probably sue.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I think there was a report that the team would be named Utah not SLC.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
That at least would be cool. It's gonna be something stupid like the Buzz or the Sting or something ridiculous like that. If they were smart they'd do what we did and bring back the only good team name they ever had in that city - the Golden Eagles. But Vegas would probably sue.
I was alluding to the murder/conspiracy regarding the “Salamander letters”.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Would Houston not be more appealing? Arena is there, an even bigger market than Phoenix, hockey history, fits better in the division, etc. I know the Houston would-be owner seems to be less willing financially than SLC but is a couple extra hundred mil worth all the trouble?

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

MayDayMayDay

F****** Pheasants!
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Easy prediction - Meruelo announces the news to the team employees through an email, then withdraws the land application and from the auction sometime in May.

Bolder prediction - Bettman is shit canned this summer.

Even bolder prediction - The AZ State Land Board is going to sue someone. Not sure who. Maybe AM. Maybe the NHL. But something tells me there is a lawsuit coming.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Well the league has pulled the arena announcement page from the Coyotes site.

Gives back a 404 Error.

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Well the league has pulled the arena announcement page from the Coyotes site.

Gives back a 404 Error.

It's still there and active when I go to the site. There's also a red banner at the top that says:

"BREAKING: Coyotes Announce Commitment to Win State Land Auction and Build Privately Funded Arena"

Doubt it's new (I haven't gone to the site in a long while) but it's there.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

DoanStopBelievin

Oct 6, 2017
Well this sucks. Have been a lurker for a long time and an infrequent poster but I am a Phoenix native who started playing the sport because of the Yotes. Played my AAA youth hockey here, made lifelong relationships that still stand today, and am still deeply involved with the youth programs. My biggest fear is the impact this will have on the youth programs and the growth of the sport in this state.

If this really is it, it has been a pleasure getting to (kind of) know you all and have a community to ride this torturous rollercoster with.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It's still there and active when I go to the site. There's also a red banner at the top that says:

"BREAKING: Coyotes Announce Commitment to Win State Land Auction and Build Privately Funded Arena"

Doubt it's new (I haven't gone to the site in a long while) but it's there.

Yeah.... I see it now. A friend of mine had posted a link on Twitter that gave the 404 error.

The link pointed to a page under news subheading and there's no page there (edit.... just found it.. Probably just a cleanup error on someone's part.

Not that any of this seems to matter right now.

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Well this sucks. Have been a lurker for a long time and an infrequent poster but I am a Phoenix native who started playing the sport because of the Yotes. Played my AAA youth hockey here, made lifelong relationships that still stand today, and am still deeply involved with the youth programs. My biggest fear is the impact this will have on the youth programs and the growth of the sport in this state.

If this really is it, it has been a pleasure getting to (kind of) know you all and have a community to ride this torturous rollercoster with.
Same.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Oooooh that's not a great sign. Despite all this I'm not calling it until the fat lady sings. This whole saga has been so insane who the hell knows.

Bright side if they do move Utah isn't likely to crap on the teams time here. It's also in the same time zone (ish), and ESPN plus should carry all their games so if I do want to follow them it won't be hard. If they keep this young core and management group I'll probably still follow them at least sporadically.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad